• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I have a, um, friend and he really likes to fish but isn't particularly good at it. One of his complaints is that he can't feel the lure hitting the bottom or bumping over submerged rocks, logs, etc. He is also unsure of how the lure(s) behave and present to the fish when retrieving. I suggested he try to find a pool or some other clear water so he could actually see the lure do its thing. Any fishermen here have other ideas that might help my friend better learn to feel the lure and control its depth when retrieving?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Texas rig. At first pin the weight to the worm rig. At first use a heavy weight. Then unpeg the worm from the lead. Then lighten the lead weight.

Some will say pig and jig but I think you learn the feel of the structure best with a Texas rig.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Texas rig. At first pin the weight to the worm rig. At first use a heavy weight. Then unpeg the worm from the lead. Then lighten the lead weight.

Some will say pig and jig but I think you learn the feel of the structure best with a Texas rig.
    Um, is this english? I'm familiar with the term Texas rig from yt videos. Though I've never tried it. I guess there's nothing lost if I give it a go. Lord knows the lure Gods have rec'd many a sacrifice from me already.
    Ok, questions.
    1. What rod are you using brand, length, weight rating

2. What kind of line are you using?
    Main two: 6' zebco med. action w/ Ranger 430kr reel and 6 or 8 # line. Mono I think. 6' ugly stick med. action w/ Shakespeare titanium synergy reel, 10# mono line w/ 3' of 30# leader. I took the ugly stick to Florida last fall. There aren't any fish there either. The wife bought me 9.5' Okuma Celilo rod ML action w/ Okuma Avenger reel. Not sure what line. I've never fished the Okuma yet. If feels unwieldly and at 9.5', I'd take up the whole shore line when casting. Regardless of rod/ reel it just seems hard for me to judge depth and structure.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Main two: 6' zebco med. action w/ Ranger 430kr reel and 6 or 8 # line. Mono I think. 6' ugly stick med. action w/ Shakespeare titanium synergy reel, 10# mono line w/ 3' of 30# leader. I took the ugly stick to Florida last fall. There aren't any fish there either. The wife bought me 9.5' Okuma Celilo rod ML action w/ Okuma Avenger reel. Not sure what line. I've never fished the Okuma yet. If feels unwieldly and at 9.5', I'd take up the whole shore line when casting. Regardless of rod/ reel it just seems hard for me to judge depth and structure.
    Wow, 9.5’!?!? That’s going to be great for the tree fish! :lmfao:I’d say you’re probably missing a lot due to the lack of sensitivity of the rods, stepping up to a $80-100 rod will really change things, however, and I have no personal experience with them, I’ve been told the Berkley Shock rods are really good and are cheaper. Switching your line to braid will also help, it transmits the vibration better than mono. If you’re using closed face spinning reels don’t do this, it won’t end well! Walmart has some decent rods that are actually pretty good, I picked one up made by eagle claw and I love It, but I can’t find them anymore.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Agreed with the above info. Sweet spot for lower cost graphite one piece rods in that $100 range. I really like the Fenwick Silverhawk rods, and some of the lower end St. Croix stuff. But there are plenty out there. Typically medium/medium heavy for me. 6' - 7' for me depending on what that rod is setup for from a lure perspective. Typically carry 3 rods on a given trip, each setup for what I'm fishing with... Lipless Rattle bait on one, spinner bait on another, jig and pig on another. Depending on time of year might carry a 4th with crank bait.

I prefer cork handles as well (better feel than foam, etc) I only use Baitcasters myself for the last 40+ years.

I honestly fish mostly other baits besides soft plastics, etc but when I do want to slow down and fish them I use a jig with a pig/creature bait trailer. If you feel something on that, stop moving the bait. If it continues to move/feel something... That's a fish, set the hook.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm sure my current equipment is lacking. I was just curious if I was overlooking a good way to visualize the lure as I fished it. I appreciate the feedback and suggestions.

Ultimately, it's just a stick and a string. Better gear is better and more precise, when you know what/how/why you are looking for.

I spend a fair amount of time, rod in hand. Still get showed up by a Zebco33 and worms once in a while. Don't buy new gear until you are specializing.

Two tips to master before anything else;

Cast out and count down until your line goes slack. Next cast, slowly real in before the bottom. Vary from there...

Talk to everyone who will talk to you on the water. Most will tell you everything and then some. :cool: Keep that secret to yourself! Be nice, be friendly and share, but YOU don't have to tell everyone everything. Save that for your real buds, like me. ;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    A couple summers back I was fishing at Sodalis Park. A little girl reeled in a half dozen blue gill on a pink Snoopy pole, while I systematically tried every lure in my box before coming to the conclusion that fish in that water will only hit from pink fishing poles.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    A couple summers back I was fishing at Sodalis Park. A little girl reeled in a half dozen blue gill on a pink Snoopy pole, while I systematically tried every lure in my box before coming to the conclusion that fish in that water will only hit from pink fishing poles.
    So did you get a pink snoopy pole or spring for the barbie?

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Line diameter is big thing. Kids poles have small line and small hooks.
    Every wonder why the pro will lose a fish in a tournament on camera. The line is so small diameter that the fish can break it.

Stiff things are more sensitive. Stiff thing also break instead of bend. Why the ugly stick never breaks is because it isn't sensitive. Monofilament line stretches, doesnt break as easy. Also doesn't transfer info back to the user.

Most baitcaster combos are mhf ( medium heavy power, fast action)
    While most spinning combos are mf (medium power, fast action)

A larger majority of serious anglers fresh or salt, run braided line with a flouacarbon leader.

If new rod and reels arent an option. Changing the line out will help alot.
    If you just fishing bass with a medium spinning reel. 10-15 lbs braided with 8-10 flouacarbon leader will change how you fish alot.

One big thing is knots. You cant use all the same knots for mono as with flouacarbon. I would suggest looking at youtube for demos on proper flouacarbon knots.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Talk to everyone who will talk to you on the water. Most will tell you everything and then some. :cool: Keep that secret to yourself! Be nice, be friendly and share, but YOU don't have to tell everyone everything. Save that for your real buds, like me. ;)

100%. I will share some info with someone I see putting in time on the water (i.e. see them repeatedly over time on a particular body of water, etc) and in turn they share info back usually. That said, the guy who I've never seen on a stretch of water who wants to play 20 questions with me asking a bunch of specific questions, will get little to no info.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Most baitcaster combos are mhf ( medium heavy power, fast action)
    While most spinning combos are mf (medium power, fast action)
    Action refers to how fast the pole responds to a bite? Such that with fast action the pole tip will move quicker than a medium action when a fish strikes?
    If you just fishing bass with a medium spinning reel. 10-15 lbs braided with 8-10 flouacarbon leader
    I'm surprised by the 10-15 lbs line. Since I'm do for new line I'll change to the braided. Are there issues fishing with a 15 lbs line on a pole rated for 8-12?

Top Bottom