• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    As some of you may know, I've been struggling with the learning curve on my LCP. I made some modifications and went back to the range today -- better!

I replaced the guiderod and recoil spring on my Elsie the other day. I installed the BT guiderod and 13# Wolff spring. I am keeping it as is! I went to the range today and fired 100 rounds of Wally World Winchester and Elsie feels like a different gun! Prior to this, after 50 rounds, my right hand was hurting a little, even with the Pachymar Tactical Grip Glove. Today, I'm sure I could have shot another 100 rounds without a problem. Most importantly, the gun just feels more stable now. Perceived recoil, muzzle flip, and overall control was very much improved. I shot some of my best groups today. Yes, it is harder to rack the slide, but using good form, it is not a problem at all.

I had pretty much decided to go shopping for a 9mm and relegate Elsie to a BUG (I may still do that, but only because I want another gun :D ) but the modifications made such a difference, I'm in no rush to do that yet. Here's my best groups- both at 7 yrds for the Elsie and 15 yrds for my husband's G-19 (most shots from the G-19 are low left for me-- the grip is too big and I'm sure I push the trigger a bit, but the first few groups were really good, but became less so the more I shot. I finally thought to take some photos to share!

picture.php

6-shot group at 7 yds with LCP

picture.php

5-shot group at 15 yds with Glock-19

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    I have a couple LCPs that kick like mules. I was wondering what is a BT guide rod.

BT is the name of the company. They make premium replacement guide rods for various guns. The head of the factory guide rod sort of peens a little. It's flat by design, but it starts to bevel. Also, it gets marred by the spring after time. Since I was upgrading from the 9# factory recoil spring to a 13# Wolff spring, I decided to upgrade the guide rod as well.

BTGuiderods » LCP

Ooops.. forgot to add-- upgrading the recoil spring to the Wolff 13# (or even 11 or 12) will calm your little beast considerably :) That's why I did it! Also, I added the Pachymar tactical grip glove to absorb a little of the recoil.

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/RUGER/LCP%20.380/cID1/mID52/dID422

http://www.pachmayr.com/tactical-grip-gloves.php

One other thing about the Wolff springs. The factory springs are tapered on one end. I have heard of at least one person who put the spring in with the small, tapered end toward the muzzle end and the spring actually went through the little hole whose name I do not know and jammed up the gun. Always put your springs in with the tapered (small) end facing toward the back. The Wolff springs are not tapered and won't do that.

Last edited:

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    I understand the Gen4s have changeable backstraps-- I wonder if the smallest one makes the grip any smaller than the Gen3?

The Gen4 Glocks have 2 changeable backstraps included. The pistol without any of the backstraps attached is an "SF" frame, which has a 2mm shorter trigger reach than the standard Gen3 frame. If you add the medium backstrap, you have the same size grip as a Gen3. If you add the large backstrap, you have a grip closer to one of the larger frame .45 Glocks.

I've got a Gen4 19 and 17, and I've never attached either of the backstraps to them. The SF frame is a perfect fit for me. 2mm may not seem like much, but it does make quite a difference in feel.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    does the 13# wolf spring make chambering a round harder?

Yes, it does make it harder to rack the slide. But not problematically so. I am a 50 yr old woman with hands on the weak side. If I try to rack it straight-armed with my thumb and index finger, I can do it, but my fingers slide right off. This is not a problem for me, though.

I have been training myself to use more gross motor movements to rack the slide because in a self-defense situation, fine motor skills are likely to be impaired anyway. Someone recently posted a video of a man being shot in a robbery while he struggled to chamber a round straight-armed, and I immediately knew I had to change my training. So, using more gross motor skills, I can rack it easily, and the modification has reinforced good form.

Before changing the spring, if I babied the slide even a little, it wouldn't go all the way into battery. Now, that is not a problem. The stronger springs have fixed that completely.

A poster on the elsiepea forum did a nice job of using 1 1/4" grip tape. He placed a strip along the top of the slide, and he precisely cut narrow pieces at a 7 degree bias and inserted them into the grooves on the rear sides of the slide. It actually looks really nice and gives a great grip. I've heard of people using skateboard tape as well. Here's a link-- he posted a photo.

http://elsiepeaforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=7350.msg64728#msg64728

Top Bottom