• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I was wondering if there's a 'go to' book to reference on lathe operations. I know that when I was going to watch making school there was one book that was 'it' as far as basic knowledge. I'm sure there are quite a few books that have lots of good info in them I was just curious of there is a 'bible' of lathe operations I can read while I'm waiting to get a lathe.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    look for south bend books most of them are old but they help out a ton. I will call my old school counselor up tomorrow and see if she can dig up the title to the books we used in the shop.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Main references would be South Bend's "How to Run a Lathe". Version doesn't matter much, think the last version was in the 80's.
    Part 1: http://campkahler.com/files/How_to_Run_a_Lathe_SB_1of2.pdf
    Part 2: http://campkahler.com/files/How_to_Run_a_Lathe_SB_2of2.pdf

The Army has an course covering lathes, here's the correspondence course manual: http://www.hnsa.org/doc/pdf/lathe.pdf

And the TM/14&P for those that know what it is: South Bend Lathe Works - Publication Reprints - US Army Technical Manual for SB 9" Lathes | VintageMachinery.org

Vintagemachinery.org has a lot of great info, here's an info chart on cutter shapes: South Bend Lathe Works - Publication Reprints - South Bend Lathe-Cutting Tools Data Chart | VintageMachinery.org

Make sure you know your lube points.

What lathe are you looking at running? I'm in Boone Co. and have a SB Heavy 10 I restored/refurbished. Currently (re)learning the game, hadn't played since college...

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I really appreciate that! Looks like I"ll be stealing the wife's ipad tonight to do some reading!!

I dont currently have a lathe and honestly have never run one. Im trying to do a little learning to hopefully have a better grasp on what I should be looking for when I go look at an older one.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I had the SBL, How to Run a Lathe book sitting on my bench when I first started running a lathe. Guys made fun of me because the lathe was a Bullard vertical turret lathe with a 36" chuck. I told them I just turn the book sideways.:cool:

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    There are a lot of videos on you tube about the 7x10 lathes from Harbor Freight/Homier/Grizzly. I picked up one up used just to have on hand for the odd job at home. Couldn't turn down the price. I worked +20 years in machining and sometimes miss that line of work. It feels good to turn a good piece of metal in to a usable object. Be careful as always with any machine and enjoy.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Not sure how copyrights work when the copyrighter is out-o-biddness, but if you google "south bend lathe how to run a lathe pdf", you might find something.;)

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Not sure how copyrights work when the copyrighter is out-o-biddness, but if you google "south bend lathe how to run a lathe pdf", you might find something.;)

That link is above. I saved it last night for my husband. He picked up an old American Tool lathe and has not used one much. I found some references for him when he first bought it and ordered a book, but I am pretty sure he did not have that one printed out.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    That link is above. I saved it last night for my husband. He picked up an old American Tool lathe and has not used one much. I found some references for him when he first bought it and ordered a book, but I am pretty sure he did not have that one printed out.

Ha, didn't see that.:laugh:

It really is as good of a reference as you can find to get going. I have a crazy German book that is about 10 times bigger and all about thread cutting. It's not for the faint of heart. Unless you ever want to cut a 3 lead, metric, left hand thread.:@ya:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My husband always goes all out when he takes up a new hobby. We were on our way to look at a small lathe that some guy had on CL. He decided to stop by the machine shop and see if the guy had something done that he had dropped off a few weeks earlier...saying if it isn't done, we are picking it up and he would do it himself. Stopped in and he mentioned he was on his way to buy a lathe and the guy said he had one to sell. We ended up going back with a trailer and dragging home this monster. 14" American Tool that was built over 100 years ago.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    We ended up going back with a trailer and dragging home this monster. 14" American Tool that was built over 100 years ago.

Can't go wrong with good old fashioned Murrican iron. That is a good size to have. The SBL 9s and heavy 10s that are a dime a dozen are just too small. Get that bad boy leveled the first chance you get.:yesway:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Can't go wrong with good old fashioned Murrican iron. That is a good size to have. The SBL 9s and heavy 10s that are a dime a dozen are just too small. Get that bad boy leveled the first chance you get.:yesway:

He did that first thing. He bought it in 2012 and has used it some, but he is always open to learning more about using it.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone

South Bend is still "in business" in the trademark and name at least, and is owned by Grizzly. Copyright law sets the entry date into the public domain as X years after publication, depending on the date of copyright. Here's a good table: https://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm

Important to note is that there is a wealth of use protected under "Fair Use". The fact that the publisher reserves rights does not prevent you from using the work for a number of reasons and ways. For personal educational use without a commercial component, you can access works, especially old, partially-abandoned works. Know your rights!

Little known fact: Disney has engineered the extension of US copyright law at least 4 times to prevent their cashcows from entering the public domain. This despite the fact that the majority of their "intellectual property" is directly derivative of works already in the public domain. Thanks to them, US copyright extends 70 years after the death of the author, or 95 years after corporate publication; the intention is clearly to promote corporate profiteering over benefiting the actual creator.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom