• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    A comptehensive list would have hundreds if not thousands of chamberings.

Basically anything 6mm-221 Fireball thru 375 Ultra Mag, to include 338 Lapua Mag. No Barrett, Cheytac, or BMG cases as they have case lengths in excess of 3.00".

Here is an extremely truncated list of popular medium game, factory ammunition centerfire rifle calibers that would now be legal for Indiana deer on private land as soon as the Governor puts his signature to paper:

257 Roberts
    25-06
    6.5 Grendel
    6.5 Creedmoor
    260 Remington
    6.8 SPC II
    270 Winchester
    7mm-08
    280 Rem
    284 Win
    7mm Rem Mag
    338 Federal
    338 Win Mag
    358 Win

Thank you for this. I believe there is, and will be plenty of confusion as to exactly what will be legal, and you just know, every hunter, and every CO wants it to be as clear as possible so there are no surprises in the field. The assumption is going to be, if you are in violation, you knew you were in violation, and disregarded the regulations.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Anything you can buy at WallyMart bigger than 223 will be legal.

Anything you can buy at Cabelas or Bass Pro bigger than 223 and smaller than 50BMG will be legal.

If you're coloring outside of those lines...you SHOULD know better, as the regulation simply isn't difficult to comprehend and if you're into wildcats or oddballs then case length SHOULD be known. If it isn't, put a freaking ruler on a cartridge or use Google-Fu to figure it out.

The 2020 "expiration" and report to the legislature is still in the law, so let's not screw this up by wanton ignorance and stupidity...

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    Thank you for this. I believe there is, and will be plenty of confusion as to exactly what will be legal......... The assumption is going to be, if you are in violation, you knew you were in violation, and disregarded the regulations.

Previously, yes, it could be confusing for people. With this? I really don't understand how there could be ANY confusion, much less widespread confusion. As far as I'm concerned that's the main draw, it was ridiculous for them to make it as complicated as it was. Gun guys understood, but many, many people were lost. This clears it all up.How many people even own guns chambered for something with over a 3" case length? Relatively few. How confusing can ".243 and up" be? As far as accidental violations, they will be zero. If you own a firearm chambered with a over 3" cartridge, I guarantee you KNOW IT, and the bottom limit is perfectly spelled out. If you are hunting with an illegal weapon, it will be on purpose.

Last edited:

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    I have a 223 dummy round and a 50bmg dummy round on the corners of my tv. Someone needs to make a picture with those rounds on each end of a spread sheet and say bigger than this, but smaller than that, :D.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    It is a HECK of a lot less confusing that the way it was last year..

I like this....

Anything you can buy at WallyMart bigger than 223 will be legal.

Anything you can buy at Cabelas or Bass Pro bigger than 223 and smaller than 50BMG will be legal.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Whole host of British cartridges don't meet the 3" length limit. Such as the .470 Nitro Express or anything as such based upon the parent case .500 Nitro Express case that has a length of 3.25 inches.
    BTW, the .470 Nitro Express ballistics were used to develop the .458 Winchester Magnum, which is legal with a case length of 2.5" What a shame to exclude such elegant rifles such as British Doubles handloaded to velocities that make hunting deer possible.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Whole host of British cartridges don't meet the 3" length limit. Such as the .470 Nitro Express or anything as such based upon the parent case .500 Nitro Express case that has a length of 3.25 inches.
    BTW, the .470 Nitro Express ballistics were used to develop the .458 Winchester Magnum, which is legal with a case length of 2.5" What a shame to exclude such elegant rifles such as British Doubles handloaded to velocities that make hunting deer possible.

Possibly, but exactly how many folks out there have one of those $50K H&H rifles willing to download for deer hunting, just itching to go to the woods with them?
    I'd rather make it possible for hundreds of thousands of hunters able to take their $800 bolt action rifles or those who inherited their great grandpa's pre-war Winchester Model 70 to finally take them hunting than please the maybe one or two who want to take a Nitro Express double rifle into the woods.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    As previously discussed that is POSSESSION limit and not magazine holding capacity...

Exactly
    They were reasonable enough to not force people with large magazine capacity to leave those magazines or rifles at home.
    Just carry no more than ten rounds on your person and you're good to go.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Possibly, but exactly how many folks out there have one of those $50K H&H rifles willing to download for deer hunting, just itching to go to the woods with them?
    I'd rather make it possible for hundreds of thousands of hunters able to take their $800 bolt action rifles or those who inherited their great grandpa's pre-war Winchester Model 70 to finally take them hunting than please the maybe one or two who want to take a Nitro Express double rifle into the woods.

Also, the thing about double rifles is that if you change the load, you mess with the regulation of the rifle and small changes can have significant effects on the likelihood of both barrels shooting to roughly the same point of impact. Besides there are likely far more .450/400s 3" rifles out there than .470s or .500s and a .450/400 would be a bit more reasonable without reducing the load if one simply must hunt deer armed for elephant.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Don't go countin' yours peaches before theyz good and fuzzed up...

This is very likely to go through, but it's not law yet.
    Not 'til the Gubner signs it.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    When is the ol girl going to sing?

She's still inhaling for that first note.
    I'm sufficiently confident that Gov. Holcomb will sign that I wouldn't hesitate to buy the rifle of my choice if I didn't already have my Ruger M77 .30-06, though.
    He has made it clear that he will sign.

Top Bottom