• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeremySmith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Rolling Prairie
    I am the coordinator for Laporte County’s Shooting Sports program. For the last 12 years there has been an active and successful Archery program, and this year we are adding Rifle and Shotgun programs. The continuing focus of the program will be teaching youth to safely use archery equipment and firearms as a means to develop self-confidence, personal discipline, responsibility, teamwork, self-esteem, and sportsmanship. Here is a quick summary of each of the divisions:
    ARCHERY DIVISION

The project is for recurve and compound bows. The club will provide basic recurve shooting equipment and safety equipment. Members wanting to shoot compound bows must provide their own bow and arrows. Crossbows are not permitted. A $10 fee will cover insurance and equipments expenses and will be collected before the 4-H member will be allowed to participate.

RIFLE DIVISION
    This division is for .22 rifles, and limited to grades 5 through 12. It is suggested that members participate for one year in the Archery division, but not required. The club will provide basic shooting and safety equipment as well as all ammunition. Members wanting to shoot their own equipment may bring their own rifles in .22LR caliber in a secure case, but no ammunition. A $10 fee will cover insurance and equipments expenses and will be collected before the 4-H member will be allowed to participate.

SHOTGUN DIVISION
    The division is for 20 gauge shotguns, and limited to grades 5 through 12. It is suggested that members participate for one year in the Archery division, but not required. The club will provide basic shooting and safety equipment as well as all ammunition. Members wanting to shoot their own equipment may bring their own shotguns in .410, 20, or 12 gauge in a secure case, but no ammunition. A $20 fee will cover insurance and equipments expenses and will be collected before the 4-H member will be allowed to participate.

Beginning this year, the Shooting Sports program is a stand-alone 4-H club. Any youth that participate in this program will not be required to join any other clubs. However, the member wishes to participate in any of the other project areas offered by the 4-H program, they will need to join a local club. Also, we are not limiting the program to participants from Laporte County, but I recommend checking with your local Extension Office to see if there is a program set up in your county.
    The Archery Division will continue to conduct their program in space donated by Gracie’s Hunting and Fishing in Laporte, Indiana. The Rifle and Shotgun programs will be held at the facilities of the Michigan City Rifle Club in Michigan City, Indiana. Without these groups donating these facilities, these programs would be extremely difficult, and I cannot thank them enough.
    If you have children that would be interested in participating, feel free to contact me. Also feel free to contact me if you would be interested in volunteering time or any other support.
    A flyer that includes all of the contact information, dates, and a map that shows the location is located here.

Thanks!

Top Bottom