Lame Saturday Night Activities: How Bad Is It?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I wound up connecting my xbone for a while, then the side effects of one of my prescriptions started kicking in, I got lethargic and apathetic and no longer cared that I'd forgotten to dig out a controller, so I just fell asleep to the light of the tv.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I wound up connecting my xbone for a while, then the side effects of one of my prescriptions started kicking in, I got lethargic and apathetic and no longer cared that I'd forgotten to dig out a controller, so I just fell asleep to the light of the tv.

Happy B-day, btw.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Happy B-day, btw.

Thank you. I suppose. I'm now entitled to shake my cane and say "you kids get off my lawn!"

Tonight I'm going round and round trying to get the xbone logged in, wholly carp! I have to recover the password to an old email account to recover the password to the micro$oft email to recover the password to the xbox account. Right now I'm trying to get all the old emails deleted so it won't bounce them for a full box. It topped out back in 2017 :rolleyes:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is week seven of my Differential Equations class, so the midterm exam is next week. I'm doing okay on the homework and quizzes so far, but I'm able to do those with my notes and textbook, etc. The number of details I'll need to remember for the midterm is significant and the ol' memory isn't like it was when I was 19 and taking this course for the first time. The midterm and final comprise 75% of the grade, so things could get dicey next week!

I'm trying to remember why I'm doing this again. I'm making good progress rebuilding my math foundation, but with each little step, I realize how much more I need to do to regain a sufficient level of competency. The more I re-learn, the more I realize what I have yet to re-learn. UGH!

Still looking to complete an applied statistics MS or certificate program. I'm about ready for that, but no practical way to fund it unless I can swing an online adjunct job at a school that also has an online applied stats program.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's actually Saturday night this time!

I spent most of the week preparing for the Differential Equations midterm exam. I was doing some last minute review Friday morning when I received a voice message that that campus where I report for exams had a gas leak and my afternoon appointment was cancelled. ARGH! So tonight . . . instead of breathing easy because I had the exam behind me, I have worry about completing it on Monday or Tuesday. I think I'll do some more review on Monday and take the exam on Tuesday.

And, I am grading essays for one of my classes that ends tonight at 11:59 PM. Now THAT is a lame Saturday night activity.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    $135.50 truck wash.

NSAeGsl.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Sleeping in my Walmart Peterbuilt in a Walmart parking lot in Kokomo. Drinking. . . .

Bottled water.

Hydration is essential.

Ruling: not lame.

Just hung up a load of jeans, and started the dish washer. Joy joy fun fun.

Laundry is necessary. Saturday night may be the only time available to a busy person.

Live PD and dozing off.

Hmmm...

Ruling: LAME!

$135.50 truck wash.

Ruling: Too expensive to be lame.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Eating Taco Bell and rigging something up to use my EZPass(toll road transponder) on my motorcycle. Basically just an exercise cell phone arm band and some paracord. I'll either mount it to the handlebars somewhere or just my arm although I don't think it will fit my arm.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Eating Taco Bell and rigging something up to use my EZPass(toll road transponder) on my motorcycle. Basically just an exercise cell phone arm band and some paracord. I'll either mount it to the handlebars somewhere or just my arm although I don't think it will fit my arm.

Interesting project!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's Friday and not Saturday night, but I'm extra lame this time!

Naturally, I'm doing the aging nerd routine, working on my math homework. In this case, it's the first week after midterm in Differential Equations. I spent Sunday through Thursday grinding through some of the most tedious, time consuming problems I've encountered in this class. It was using the elimination method to solve systems of ordinary differential equations. It's actually an interesting trick; you rewrite each of the equations in what is called "operator form," and in doing so you convert differential equations into a quasi-algebraic system. When you get to three equations with three unknowns, it takes a long time to get to a general solution, and then you also have to relate the constants you created after the second and third elimination to the constants from the first elimination, as there are only three independent constants.

So after that, we're doing a section that scratches the surface of numerical methods for solving systems of differential equations. The first task is to convert the equations into a system in "Normal Form," which seems complicated when you read about it in the textbook, but once you work some problems it's actually relatively simple. The next topic was using a vectorized Euler method to solve an initial value problem. The method is explained fairly well in the text and the examples are sufficient to get you through it. I used Excel to do the computations, which saved some time over doing it with pencil, paper, and a calculator.

And now I am spinning my wheels. The last problem requires comparing the results of using a 4th Order Runge-Kutta method to solve a second-order ordinary differential equation representing the motion of a simple pendulum with varying initial conditions for angular position and angular velocity. Getting the equation into a system in the Normal Form was simple and straightforward. But there is a dearth of explanatory material on how to implement the Runge-Kutta algorithm in my textbook and the video associated with the problem actually skips the Runge-Kutta solution and just compares the end results. I did some googling, but each time I find a video or document that might help, my brain starts to check out.

So my activities are lame and the fact that I can't power through this and relearn something I used to be able to do in my twenties is even more lame!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Live PD and Ingo.
    The 12 year old is spending the night and we did some art research or the project I have tasked her with earlier. Thats it.

I did work on 4 AR's his afternoon. Is that good for some points.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Live PD and Ingo.
    The 12 year old is spending the night and we did some art research or the project I have tasked her with earlier. Thats it.

I did work on 4 AR's his afternoon. Is that good for some points.

Hmm.

• "Live PD" = Lame
    • INGO = neutral, but close to Lame
    • Working on ARs = not Lame
    • Spending time with your granddaughter = super not Lame

Ruling: not Lame

Top Bottom