• Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Greetings,

I have an L.C. Smith Specialty Grade Side by Side 12ga. with an SN of RE569xxS. I was wondering if anyone had any information of the weapon and its date of manufacture (not interested in selling). It's a beautiful long gun with excellent wood and I'd just like to know a little more about it; it is a single trigger with extractors.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Not Remington. I think it was Marlin owned at one time. I'll post if I find anything. It's been a while since I researched mine.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Smith decided to enter into the lucrative business of producing firearms. Although he and members of his family manufactured guns, they are not the 'Smith' from Smith & Wesson. Instead, Lyman Smith was the namesake of the famous L.C. Smith Shotgun. In 1877, L.C. and his older brother Leroy joined forces with an established firearms designer, William H. Baker, to form W.H. Baker & Co., and for the next three years, the firm produced Baker designed shotguns. However, in 1880, Leroy Smith and W.H. Baker left the company, and founded Ithaca Gun Company. The defection of Leroy Smith and Baker from the company did not hamper business, as they were replaced by Smith’s younger brother, Wilbert, and a new designer Alexander T. Brown. The company was renamed the L.C. Smith Shotgun Company of Syracuse and went on to produce several popular breech-loading shotguns. In 1886, the company produced its first hammerless shotgun. This proved to be their most successful design. Despite the success of the company, Smith decided to sell the manufacturing rights for the entire line of L.C. Smith shotguns to Hunter Arms Company in 1889. Hunter Arms would produce the line until 1945, when they sold it to Marlin Firearms Company. Marlin halted production of L.C. Smith shotguns in 1950. They briefly revived the brand in 1967, before retiring it for good in 1972.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Specialty (1912-1950)

Specialty Grade. The 1913 catalog states "A fine gun in all details, built to last a lifetime. Handsomely engraved . . . with fine lines of the best weapon and at a most moderate price. A thoroughly sound, serviceable gun, well fitted. Every attention has been paid to produce in this our Specialty grade a well-balanced and good shooting-gun and we have every confidence in recommending it to sportsmen who are desirous of having a high quality gun and do not feel justified in purchasing our highest." Base price in 1913 was $64. The Hunter One-Trigger added $25 and ejectors added $11. The base price was $131 in 1945. As with the lower grades, it was available in 10, 12, 16, and 20 gauges with the 410 being available later. Barrels were Nitro Steel, or Damascus Steel could be ordered. Common barrel lengths were 26, 28, 30, and 32 inches and were "bored any way you choose." The nicely figured walnut stocks were available in full pistol, half pistol, and straight grips. L.C. SMITH was engraved on the lock plates. A pair of quail was engraved on the left lock plate, and a waterfowl scene was engraved on the right. The serial number was engraved on the trigger guard extension. The regular rib had a precious metal bar inlaid at the junction of the rib and rib extension. This bar was not present on guns with ventilated ribs or raised ribs. The left barrel was roll-stamped HUNTER ARMS CO. INC. M'F'R'S FULTON, N.Y., U.S.A. The right barrel was roll-stamped L.C. SMITH SPECIALTY GRADE. Most of the Specialty Grade guns were made between 1912 and 1945, but a few were made by the LC. Smith Gun Company between 1945 and 1950. The total production was 6,911 (19 10-gauge, 5,032 12-gauge, 720 16-gauge, 1,100 20-gauge, and 40 .410). Automatic ejectors were placed on 6,012 shotguns.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The L.C. Smith Collectors Association

I didn't see any serial numbers in that range, or with the re prefix. Is it possible that's not the number?

Yes it is it looks like an RE space 56 space 9xx all on the bottom of the trigger guard.

The description in your previous post describes my gun to the letter. "Hunter Arms" on the left cylinder and "L.C. Smith Specialty Grade" on the right and the engraving matches, it has the Hunter One Trigger barrel length is 32".

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Sigblitz again. :xmad:

Thanks Sigblitz. It's X-mas eve...if you were here I'd give you some rum in home made eggnog. :cheers:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Thanks.

I'm going to suggest paying the $75 for a research letter. If for nothing else, it will increase the value more than $75 if you can get it down from 1 of 5000 something based on barrel length, etc.

I shoot mine, and use low recoil 2 3/4 brass to protect the stock and firing pins. It is most accurate.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Thanks.

I'm going to suggest paying the $75 for a research letter. If for nothing else, it will increase the value more than $75 if you can get it down from 1 of 5000 something based on barrel length, etc.

I shoot mine, and use low recoil 2 3/4 brass to protect the stock and firing pins. It is most accurate.

I'll do that, thanks.

Both the letter and shooting it.

Top Bottom