• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    It has been a while since I've sen them mentioned here.

I'm not very enamored with Keltec's reputation, but I have finally started seeing KSG's locally.

I am tempted, I don't know about $900 worth of tempted, but there is a certain appeal.

Anyone out there have a new inputs now that they have been out a couple of years?

I'm mainly concerned about how slow and deliberate working the action one has to be to avoid short-stroking it.

I like my Mossberg 500's a lot. Has anyone seen/tried one of the bullpup conversions from Bullpups Unlimited? Maybe this should be its own thread.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    $900 is still a good chunk of money, but that makes the KSG a lot more logical in my opinion. My favorite impression of the KSG was back early last year (in all of the craze) I was doing a transfer, the guy next to me was getting in a transfer of a KSG and he paid $2150 for it. The employee helping us with the transfer said, "2150!" "You could get a NICE shotgun for 2150!?!" Strong emphasis was placed on the "NICE". Ha.

I thought that they were interesting, but I ended up going Benelli M4 instead. I paid $1850 at that time for the Benelli and I don't have any regret. I don't think the hype hit the M4 like it did the KSG.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I saw one at a small shop for $1495 about a year ago. It was the first one I had seen in real life. The guy behind the counter asked me if I wanted to take a look at it and all I said was, "No".

A friend that used to work with a FFL had told me early on he could get me one for $650, if any became available through their distributor (they never did). I was interested at that price, but since then he has moved on and Keltec increased their price.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I've had one since about Feb. Paid around $900 with shipping and transfer back then. I see reports of it being $800 or better these days so I would certainly look around for price.
    Mine has run flawlessly. You do need to develop a feel for how to run it, but I have no problem going from the KSG to my Mossberg 500 and back. I short-shucked it exactly one time - the very first time I tried to shoot the gun. Never have after that because I got the feel for how hard you have to work the slide. Will it replace my 500 as my go-to home defense shotgun? Probably not, but the KSG has become a solid back up for it. It's not in this photo, but I run the KSG now with an EoTech. Works great on this gun.

Edit to add this for the OP: I have an 870 in the Bullpup-Unlimited stock. It's "ok". It's fun to play around with, but I much prefer the KSG. The KSG is built from the ground up to be a bullpup so to me it just works and handles better.

KSG_June2014_DirectSide_1_zps3011f148.jpg

Last edited:

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    My first long/ shotgun will be the KSG- buying it next Friday from TIMS in Westfield. Will have a few mods/upgrades from Hi-Tech waiting for it. There are a few good FB groups (one closed) that have solidified my decision to go with Kel-Tec, but I was reluctant in the beginning.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I think it's a really interesting design, as is usually the case with Kel-Tec. A friend has one, and I found it to be pretty ergonomic, lightweight, and and 15 rounds of 12 gauge makes for a formidable weapon. That said, I do somewhat question of the use of polymer in a 12 shotgun.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Yamadog35,

It looks like you have the Kydex cover for the receiver, what else is that you have on top of it?

Also, is that a home stipple job you've done there?

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Yamadog35,

It looks like you have the Kydex cover for the receiver, what else is that you have on top of it?

Also, is that a home stipple job you've done there?

That is a pad from godagrip.com. More on that with pictures here: KSG Cheek Pad - KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum
    The pistol grip has a Talon grip on it (Talon makes one specifically for the KSG) and then I bought a sheet of Talon grip material and put it on the forend/slide.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Thanks! That looks pretty nice. I was a little unsure, but I thought I could see some of the original factory "squares" texture pattern.

Top Bottom