• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    When I was at Traildust a week or so ago, I saw a set of 3 throwing knives. I ended up passing on them, but it still sounds like a fun thing to learn. Anyone here have any experience/tips to share with a beginner?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I think "Jack Ryan" tosses knives now and then. He's got a video of it somewhere on here. . . .

econnell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Howard Co IN
    I have been throwing for 20 years....what would you like to know?? Don't go out and spend a bunch of $ on "throwing" Knives...it's a waste! You will bust handles right and left... or put a nice dent in them from one knife on top of the other.

My advice for a newbie is to find a single side blade, old kbars or replicas of kbars are good...or find a yard sale, find some old butcher knives with a wooden handle..about a 4-6" blade; those things will take a beating and well balanced!

Also learn how to hold it (keep the fingers off the edge!) and when you throw you take one step fwd...depends on how far your target is away from you and where you hold the blade and how many turns you want before the stick...if you are close @ 6-8ft (hold closer to the tip of the blade, it turns faster) you want a 1/2 turn, once you get that down...you can step back another foot or 2 adjust your blade position and repeat...

Don't be fooled by that hollywood knife throwing crap either...

Videos are not good for this sort of thing, it will give you a general idea...but spend a couple of hours with someone and that is all you need to get started, it's provided me with years of enjoyment, I'm so grateful my dad shared his hobbies with me during my childhood.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    Well the knives I saw were nothing fancy, They were $10 for a set of three. I think they were stainless. Similar to these
    I don't know of any throwers to get pointers from, so I thought I'd see if anyone here had any experience. At some point, if I ever got to be any good, I thought hatchets would be cool too.

econnell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Howard Co IN
    Find something that has some weight to it, those holes in the tang takes the durability out of it, They are cheap so go for it, but don't get frustrated they will slap and bounce off the target, throwing hawks is a FUN time, when you hear that thud there is nothing better!

I'm in greenfield, I will help all i can. After you find something to throw make you a square target out of 2x4's and 1x1's across the back, I bought an old wooden picnic table at a yard sale and just stood it up and used that, then when i was done, I laid it back down...so the neighbors wouldn't no the difference... :)

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I haven't thrown knives for a long time, but I got good at it as a kid. Consequently, I can pick up pretty much anything with a point and stick it. Don't throw with the tip, like the carnival throwers, grab the blade with your whole hand and learn to throw hard. It should bury itself in the wood. Throwing a knife with a sharp edge requires a hold that won't cut your hand, of course.

In my opinion, balance is overrated. I prefer long and heavy. And it must be durable, especially the handle. I don't like hardly any of the throwers I see for sale - too short and too light. Look for a throwing knife called the Bowie-Axe. It's a handle thrown knife, but it's made for business.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    When I was at Traildust a week or so ago, I saw a set of 3 throwing knives. I ended up passing on them, but it still sounds like a fun thing to learn. Anyone here have any experience/tips to share with a beginner?

Get your knife from HBForge.com and people who know what they are doing will think YOU know what your doing before you even give it the first toss.

Order it on line or go to National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association rendezvue in Friendship Indiana and buy one at their booth. Then you can just cross the street to the range and learn to throw it. You'll be throwing at playing cards in an hour or less and be headed back for one of their tomahawks. The week long event should be coming up for the spring here pretty much any time now. They have a web page where you can learn all about it.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Well the knives I saw were nothing fancy, They were $10 for a set of three. I think they were stainless. Similar to these
    I don't know of any throwers to get pointers from, so I thought I'd see if anyone here had any experience. At some point, if I ever got to be any good, I thought hatchets would be cool too.

Just go ahead and buy the ONE good ONE. At least go to the NMLRA event and watch at their throwing range for a half hour before you go buy any of that movie baloney stuff. In ten minutes you'll be seeing why I'm recomending it. It's not a toy good for one thing. I carry it a lot and chop grapevines with it. It's near indestructable and a 12 year old girl could throw it and stick it if she pays attention to what some one is telling her and wants to learn it.

I've put up a link to learning to throw knives and tomahawks some where here but short version... tips and tricks.

Hold on to the handle like you would for any thing else, like you are going to swing it to chop a vine.

Always stick it in the target by hand before starting to throw any where but at home. Now discuss the game with your opponet standing next to the target.

Look at the grass to see where it is worn down from him practicing before you got there.

Starting from scratch and no other clues noticed during the chat let the home team throw first.

Pull out your knife from the target and step off about three steps. Throw your hat on the ground or leather sheef and announce it get's in the way when you are throwing. (this is your "marker" for your throws. Rules ever where require the throw make at least one full revelution, not at least a specific distance.

Throw directly over hand like you would pitch a baseball. The secret is to throw exactly the same every time, not to throw hard.

When practicing at home, stand square to the target. Bring the weapon above your head with both hands like it was a big heavy axe. This establishes good consistant form. Note where your forward foot is "on your mark".

If it doesn't stick, move back or forward 2 lengths of your foot and note the new "mark" to adjust for if you need more rotation or less for the point to stick.

A little practice and you'll be able to just walk up and eye ball it and look like you are some movie star just tossing it across a bar room from the card table.

Note in those vids I posted, one of those is a belt axe and the other a camp axe. Two different sizes thrown one after the other. I take a little step closer after throwing the long one.

Top Bottom