• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I decided to make a thread on this important subject as I'm learning slowly about the different steel types, and uses.

So I'll start out asking about a few different steel types and if someone can let me what they are good for and maybe compared to I'd appreciate it.

I seen this today. How is this steel for knives, and what is it comparable to?
    Sandvik 12c27

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Not all steels listed, but a lot of the major ones...

Edged Tools

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Ft Wayne
    Sandvik 12c27
    Looks like it’s comparable to AUS 8 and ATS 34

At least according to this page

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I decided to make a thread on this important subject as I'm learning slowly about the different steel types, and uses.

So I'll start out asking about a few different steel types and if someone can let me what they are good for and maybe compared to I'd appreciate it.

Sandvik 12c27
    Let me give you the low down. Almost any modern steel in a knife made by a reputable company is gonna be a good steel. It is not like back in the late 90's/early 2000's when a lot a soft garbage steel was hitting the market. Heat treats have also come a long way. The most important thing is buy a blade made by a reputable company with a lifetime warranty, and buy it from a reputable dealer. There are a lot of knock offs out there. Buy from a direct dealer and you cut down on your issues.

Top Bottom