• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KQuinn9100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Have had my eye set on an ultra carry 2 for sometime now but have recently changed my mind to the tactical ultra 2. Has all the options I'd ever upgrade on the carry 2. So I figured why not just spend the extra loot and get what I want in the beginning. I know kimber is a good name. Has anyone had any issues with the tactical ultra in particular?

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Before firing the pistol for the first time, Field Strip and clean the firearm following proper procedures (see DISASSEMBLY, CLEANING and LUBRICATION and ASSEMBLY Instructions in this Manual). Kimbers firearms are quality custom pieces. Our firearms are hand fitted to tight
    tolerances. For proper Break-in of the firearm shoot 400-500 rounds of Quality Factory Ball (230g. FMJ). Ammunition, cleaning and lubricating the gun every 100-150 rounds.

KQuinn9100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    sounds good. you said "our". are you meaning that as in you own a kimber as well? or you are a kimber employee? may be of some use in the future if that is the case. thanks.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I've had a Kimber Tactical Ultra II for my EDCC for over 7 years now and its a fantastic gun. The only thing I have done to it is send it to Robar to have a NP3 finish put on it. Here are some before and after pics,

Before refinish

Kimber_TU_005.jpg

After refinish (the finish doesn't look this "whited out" looks more like a flatter grey appearance but I think the flash kind of brighted it a bit)
    RobarKimber001.jpg

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    I had a 4.25" 1911 for a while, but found it carried the same as my 5" - the butt of the pistol was what I had to watch, concerning printing, not barrel length. What advantages do you guys have with the 3" barrels over 5"? I carried on the belt; are you using other methods where OAL is more of a factor? Thanks in advance for the info. I'm always looking for a reason to expand inventory :)

As far as the OP's decision to go Kimber - I don't think they make a bad pistol do they? Enjoy it when you get it. They're quality craftsmanship.

KQuinn9100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    thanks for the input guys. the concern about printing due to grip length is correct. the barrel length more than likely wouldnt matter. thing is kimber makes the shorter grip in 3 in barrel only. which is of course the ultra. the next size up which is the pro has a full length grip with a 4 in barrel. so in order to get the shorter grip you must go with the 3 in barrel.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    My CDP Ultra and Pro have been completely reliable with absolutely NO FTF or FTE. I wish I could say the same for all my 1911s.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I had a Kimber Ultra Carry and never had an issue with it. I also have a Kimber Compact with the short grip and 4" barrel. I think both are great guns and do miss having the Ultra snubnose 45. But, I needed cash and could not keep both, so the snubby had to go. It was a great gun though and I can honestly say I don't remember a single failure with it. The only thing I'm not crazy about with the aluminum framed Kimbers is the finish on the frame. I think they use melted crayons for their finish. It's not overly durable, but then again, it's tough getting paint to stick to aluminum.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I had a 4.25" 1911 for a while, but found it carried the same as my 5" - the butt of the pistol was what I had to watch, concerning printing, not barrel length. What advantages do you guys have with the 3" barrels over 5"? I carried on the belt; are you using other methods where OAL is more of a factor? Thanks in advance for the info. I'm always looking for a reason to expand inventory :)

As far as the OP's decision to go Kimber - I don't think they make a bad pistol do they? Enjoy it when you get it. They're quality craftsmanship.

I agree, I have no problem with barrel length but grip length is the issue for printing. I have a Kimber CDP II and love it but knock the grip (full size) once in awhile getting in the car. From what I have read, the 3" barrel has more problems than the longer barrel and shorter spring life. Personally I would not go shorter than the 4.25" barrel.

Top Bottom