• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Littlejoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Elrod Indiana
    I have been looking for a new everyday carry gun to give my Glock 26 a break. Anyone tell me about the Kimber Solo 9mm. I really like the look and feel. I have never shot one. Are they as reliable as my Glock???

Thanks
    Littlejoe

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    please share any info you get on this weapon.
    I would like to get one but I am concerned about the recoil on a pistol this small and light.
    I like the looks of them, they remind me of the old Colt 1908s

sig-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    North
    I have read many bad reviews on the solo.
    Very finicky with ammo and unreliable.
    I agree ( as with most Kimbers) it is over priced.
    If my life depended on it, I would carry a G26 over a Solo everytime.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I have been looking for a new everyday carry gun to give my Glock 26 a break. Anyone tell me about the Kimber Solo 9mm. I really like the look and feel. I have never shot one. Are they as reliable as my Glock???

Thanks
    Littlejoe

They are very reliable as long as you use the ammo recommended for them. Many people can't seem to read their owners manual, then complain when it doesn't function.
    A friend has one and he loves it, no problems so far after a year.

jotto

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    NW Indiana
    I've had a CDP model since December 2011. I've had NO issues using the recommended ammunition and very, very few with non-recommended ammo. In my opinion it has a great trigger. My little finger floats with the flush fit magazines, full grip with the 8 round magazines. It is nice to carry, small and light weight. Most micros I tried had horrible triggers, the Solo has a nice, smooth, fairly light trigger.

It is for me snappy in the hand to shoot. It's not the pistol I am going to fire hundreds of rounds through at the range. 20-25 rounds about does it for me at a time. It's not the cheapest micro pistol out there.

If you have any specific questions about it feel free to let me know.

vch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    Lebanon
    A friend has one with less than 500 rounds thru it and slide locked up on the frame don't know all details but he is not happy.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    They are very reliable as long as you use the ammo recommended for them. Many people can't seem to read their owners manual, then complain when it doesn't function.
    A friend has one and he loves it, no problems so far after a year.
    +1, have had mine for going on 2 years, will feed 119 gr ammo in a pinch but likes ( and is recommended ) that you feed it 147 gr. ammo. I run 147gr Golden Sabre through mine with zero issues. Recoil is manageable because the gun is heavier that your "plastic" sub compacts.

Littlejoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Elrod Indiana
    I've had a CDP model since December 2011. I've had NO issues using the recommended ammunition and very, very few with non-recommended ammo. In my opinion it has a great trigger. My little finger floats with the flush fit magazines, full grip with the 8 round magazines. It is nice to carry, small and light weight. Most micros I tried had horrible triggers, the Solo has a nice, smooth, fairly light trigger.

It is for me snappy in the hand to shoot. It's not the pistol I am going to fire hundreds of rounds through at the range. 20-25 rounds about does it for me at a time. It's not the cheapest micro pistol out there.

If you have any specific questions about it feel free to let me know.
    Thanks for info Jotto. The man at the GS told me the same thing about the ammo. He has sold many a Solo and said the ones that use the recommended ammo have no trouble. That is not a big deal to me, I will only shot the good stuff in my carry guns. I think they said the Hornady 147gr. HP works good. I just want to know if I drop $700 on a Kimber it will go bang everytime if I use the recommended ammo. My 26 will run anything. I am pushing 800rds and only had 1 and it was a bad primer.

sig-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    North
    If I drop $700 on a gun it better just plain work. Period.
    No stipulation on particular brand, weight, or style of ammo. To me that is ridiculous for a gun that expensive.

Wheeler-Dealer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    East-Central
    I love my Kimber's..and I was down to choosing between Solo and a Sig P938, for my recent pocket carry acquisition.

The P938 extreme edged out the win with it's 1911 styling & layout, ambi-safety's, full-sized night sites, Hogue grips and it came with 2 mags (1 standard 6rd mag & 1 extended 7rd mag)

I got mine slightly used, in a local trade, and have since fired 300+ flawless rounds of different brands & sizes of ammo (in both FMJ's & JHP's)

I still may pick up a solo someday, but for now I'm very happy.

I heard horror stories & good stories about the solo & the p938 But I've learned to take alot of what I read with a grain of salt, nowadays.

I've read just as many great reports on them too... so I'd go with what feels best
    in your hand.

Good luck with whatever you choose

Last edited:

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Like Kimber manual said I put 500 rds through my pro carry, I was having ftf, fte and then hammer follow problems. Send it back twice and 500 rds more and was still having problems so send it back a third time, it came back with scratches on the sights and by then I was done with Kimber and sold it at huge loss NEVER again.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    this does not reflect my opinion (as I've never owned or shot one) but I just happened to watch this vid last night.

[video=youtube;ADilrAf1sy4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADilrAf1sy4&amp;feature=c4-overview&amp;list=UUgD93xd1KaokQWJ96woH-AA[/video]

Compuvette

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    NE Indiana
    I've had a Solo for my "deep cover" pistol for about two years now. It does not like 115gr! It will shoot 124 and 147gr with no problems. It does carry well and is pretty accurate for it's size. It is snappy to shoot, but is manageable. I wouldn't want to bang 200 rounds through it in a range session, but a 50 round box is not too bad. Overall, I like it. Only Kimber I have as usually I hate them. However, the ergronomics work for me (big 1911 fan) so I like it.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I liked the way the Solo looked when I first saw it, but after doing a little research, I found out reloads are a no go in that pistol. That's when my infatuation with that little pearl ended.

Top Bottom