• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Well here is my review on the Keystone Chipmunk Pistol.
    Its a .22 s/l/lr single shot, exact mechanics as their Crickett, designed for youth shooters.
    Here is how the pistol looked when I bought it,
    Walnut stock, Williams firesights!

A no thrills sub $200, single shot .22.
    http://img80156.pictiger.com/images/18522810/

This is how it looks now. Changed the stock,removed the sights, added a Cheap Tasco 25mm Red Dot and the Chipmunk scope mount.
    http://img80156.pictiger.com/images/18522864/

Went out to the range today to sight in the red dot, was planning on just doing 25yrds, well they were working on that part of the range so I sighted it in at 50yrds. I was shooting 40gr. Mini Mags.

Here is the target, 10 shots-now take into consideration that the target I was using (the only one I have) is designed for 25ft. rapid fire pistol. Demensions are 9" in length and 5.5"w. Plus I added a 3" diameter BC sticlk on target. Overall I am satisfied in what I shot. (and I'm not that great of a shot, dont shoot consistantly enough)

Breakdown is simple, one screw in the stock (similar to a ruger 10/22) breaks it down:
    http://fixedgearjunkie.pictiger.com/images/18522952/

Now the only real thing I didnt care for was the trigger, for being designed for a youth it isnt much to write home about. There is creep and in my opinion not very smooth. I ended up doing a ball point spring mod, removing the factory spring and cutting a ball point spring (about a 1/3off) and installing it. I will make my way back to the range tommorow to see if it pays off. However the feel of the trigger is much smoother and lighter.

Overall Conculsion:
    For a cheap gun (designed more for kids) it fits the bill, it will be a great teaching aid for my young boys, plus it should make a great small game pistol. Accuracy is good enough for me. The pistol did not break the bank, and it will be cheap to shoot!

The only 2 drawbacks I really noiced were:
    1. Trigger is stiff with some creep, not real smooth (mod was done so we will see tom)
    2. The stock is only set up for a right handed shooter, being left handed I was worried but with the red dot, no problems. Plus its comfortable in the hand and light.

Side Note: Keystone has great customer service, has different stocks available (as seen) and know how to treat their customers.

So regardless if you own the Crickett or Chipmunk for being a cheap gun it shoots and performs well. Dont be afraid to pick one of these firearms up for yourself or the kids-its simplicity, accuracy and cost to shoot gives them in my book two thumbs up! :yesway::yesway:

Last edited:

wahlspyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    Bringing back an old post

Guess I'm kind of reviving an old post, but sounds like a cheap fun gun. Thought they looked cool and for the price was about willing to try one. Now you have me really wanting one. Was the trigger pretty simple? Would a simple polish on mating surfaces be worth trying before changing the trigger spring? Thanks for a good write up and review.

Top Bottom