• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    Just in case you wondered, this is what happens when a barrel is worn out. I have put 6-8000 rounds through this barrel, almost all mag dumps with a registered M16. Seen it glowing cherry red dozens of times. This was from 15 yards.
    picture.php

About half the rounds shoot straightish, the other half keyhole, tried three different kinds of ammo and had the same results.
    Funny thing is the barrel looks really good at first glance, bright shiny bore, good crown, throat not terrible. I'll be sighting in the new barrel tommorow, should be alot better.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I have heard that a slow barrel twist such as a 1-16 and a heavy bullet weight can produce the same effect. The slow rate does not spin the heavy bullet fast enough resulting in a key hole.
    Same principal with fast twist 1-6 or 7 and light weight bullets. In some instances, the bullet will actually come apart in the barrel from spinning it way to fast.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Just in case you wondered, this is what happens when a barrel is worn out. I have put 6-8000 rounds through this barrel, almost all mag dumps with a registered M16. Seen it glowing cherry red dozens of times. This was from 15 yards.
    picture.php

About half the rounds shoot straightish, the other half keyhole, tried three different kinds of ammo and had the same results.
    Funny thing is the barrel looks really good at first glance, bright shiny bore, good crown, throat not terrible. I'll be sighting in the new barrel tommorow, should be alot better.

Called 'Tumble'.......ol' skool term

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    I have heard that a slow barrel twist such as a 1-16 and a heavy bullet weight can produce the same effect. The slow rate does not spin the heavy bullet fast enough resulting in a key hole.
    Same principal with fast twist 1-6 or 7 and light weight bullets. In some instances, the bullet will actually come apart in the barrel from spinning it way to fast.

^^^ Haven't heard that one before. Makes perfect sense though.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    What weight bullet and what twist rate? The above poster is on the right track about bullet stability with the improper combination.

Top Bottom