KelTec Legacy - 30 Years of Innovation (video)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    That was neat. I'm going to explore their line some more for fun. Maybe a shotgun.

I bought an MCarbo upgraded Sub 2000. Heard a lot of mixed reviews and rented one at an indoor range. It was just plain fun to shoot, hitting well, even with the crappy small rear peep sight and bolt/tube cheek slap annoying after 100 rds. Ordered rifle direct from MCarbo and upgrades are nice. Range rental said they hadn't cleaned it in a year and it worked fine.

abeguzmanmarine

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    TERRE HAUTE
    I used to always bad mouth KelTec, then I won a PMR30 from a raffle. Laughed it off, but then used it about a year later. Today, I am one of their biggest supporters and fans. His weapons are so innovative and durable, it's hard to believe coming from me who owns mostly wood furniture on my guns.

I did not know his back story, even more reason for my support.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Kel-Tec’s biggest innovation is vapor ware, hype and creating demand and not meeting production!

They announce new products every year while having back orders from products they announced years ago! You still can’t find pmr/cmrs, sub 2k’s are in so much demand they sell for over msrp, the demand for ksgs was so high that gun shops were selling them at double msrp, so what did Kel tec do about that? They raised the msrp!

To make people happy I’d rather the just make what’s already in their catalog, I mean a pistol that holds 50 rounds of 5.7 is cool (I guess) finding a cp33 on the shelf at a normal price (ie not msrp or higher) would make me more happy

abeguzmanmarine

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    TERRE HAUTE
    Kel-Tec’s biggest innovation is vapor ware, hype and creating demand and not meeting production!

They announce new products every year while having back orders from products they announced years ago! You still can’t find pmr/cmrs, sub 2k’s are in so much demand they sell for over msrp, the demand for ksgs was so high that gun shops were selling them at double msrp, so what did Kel tec do about that? They raised the msrp!

To make people happy I’d rather the just make what’s already in their catalog, I mean a pistol that holds 50 rounds of 5.7 is cool (I guess) finding a cp33 on the shelf at a normal price (ie not msrp or higher) would make me more happy
    I don't have the same issues, I bought my CMR at a show, well under MSRP, I just bought my SUB2K at my LGS for black friday at $460. Currently my LGS has CPR33 and RDB-S in stock, well under MSRP. I am in fact considering getting the RDB-S.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Having "a few" RDBs and RFBs, I appreciate their "different thinking." I can get 2 RDBs for the price of one X95 or AUG. They may not be "battle tested," but they have been plenty durable, and inherently more ambi.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've probably seen two Kel-Tec firearms in the local gun shops. The PMR 30 once in awhile, and the Sub 2000 9mm once on awhile. LGS around here don't seem to carry their firearms.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    YouTube recommended this George Kellgren 20 question video after I watched the other. George likes innovation, doesn't like revolvers, and mentioned an upcoming brace for the 5.7 P50. Good interview.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County

as was said above, there are multiple models at both LGS I frequent.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Worked in a gun shop for over 10 years, from 08-19 and here’s how the conversations went

Customer “do you have a kel tec (insert gun name here)?”
    Me “sorry but no we don’t have one”
    Custom “can you order one?”
    Me “no, our distributors are out”
    Customer “can you call me when you get one?”
    Me “I can add your name to the list, but there’s about 20 in front of you”
    Customer “I wonder what the problem is?”
    Me “kel tec is great at announcing guns, but horrible at making them”

If you want to know the truth, I have a pmr30 (and after a thousand rounds, it’s finally reliable, and I can shoot a mag without 2-3 jams) I wanted a cmr30, and the first 3 we got at the shop weren’t for sale! They were friends of the nra guns, and event sponsors were able to get them free!, well almost, they had to be a sponsor of the banquet, and I can’t remember if it was 1200 or 2500 dollar package to get the gun.

I stopped at another shop (in 2012) looking for 22 magnum ammo, told them I had a pmr and needed ammo, he asked what did you pay? I replied 500, he said he knew people who had paid 1500 on gun broker.

I think the reason people are seeing more ksg/pmr/cmr/sub2k’s is because everyone who wanted one, has already got one (after waiting forever) or given up hope and moved on.

The p50 was announced in September, and there’s a whopping 62 on the gun broker, not 1 on rk guns. In fact rk guns shows they sell 47 sku’s of kel tec guns, and have 6 in stock

Davidson’s (gallery of guns) one of the largest gun distributors in the country has 2 sku’s (out of 47) of kel tech’s in stock, you get your choice of a cp33 in od green or a cp33 in flat dark earth.

So…am I really wrong?

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I've owned 5 K-T's over the years, still own 3, wish I had not traded the Sub 2K...love the P32, and have a P-11, hate the trigger, but love the gun over all...ish...would love to get a P-17....ah...someday.....

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I only own one Keltec but I do appreciate their innovativeness. Then again I can be pretty patient* with new gun purchases. Although, I wanted a PMR-30 pretty bad, I simply waited until my LGS had one on the shelf and took it home. Mine has been flawless since the first shot too, perhaps another benefit of not rushing out to be one of the first ones to buy a new product.

*While I can be patient, I still wish Savage would quit jacking around with a lame new pistol no one wants and build the Impulse in larger quantities with more chamberings.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    If you don't mind a drive, the Rural King in Kokomo has a couple Keltec firarms below MSRP in the case right meow!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I recently scored a P32 at auction for $150. It's not my typical type of gun, but it interested me due to it's incredibly compact size and the fact that it's a locked-breach .32, while most are blowback. I've shot the .380s, and they're pretty punishing in a package that size, but the .32 is just right. Plus I already own a Beretta 81, so I'm already set up to load for it.

First impressions weren't great. The plastic grip module was bowed out and the slide lock spring kept popping out of place and letting the takedown pin fall out. It also had extraction problems. I ground a groove into the bottom of the receiver rail to capture the spring, and heated and clamped the grip module back into the appropriate shape. I cleaned up the extractor claw, polished the chamber, and shimmed the extractor spring to add some tension...at this point is seems to be working, but will need a few hundred more rounds through it before I'm completely satisfied.

I will say, KelTec's customer support is pretty good. I emailed them over the weekend about some replacement parts and they responded the next business day and are shipping them for free.

The operation of the design leaves something to be desired. The trigger has a false reset, which I find pretty annoying, and the mags don't drop free. It is decently accurate for what it is, though, and its pretty much smaller and lighter than anything else out there chambered in anything bigger than a .22. If it can prove itself reliable, it'll be a decent option for situations when you otherwise couldn't carry anything else.

Top Bottom