• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    looking to buy a couple of used kayaks for the boys (adults) to fish out of and the kids to use at the lake.
    Don't really know much about them, such as brands to avoid, things to watch out for, etc.
    Any input here would be appreciated.

Onebad06vtx

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Ellettsville
    Buy a sit on top.
    Widest you can get,the better!
    Like a pelican or what you can afford.
    I have a nucanoe but they are not cheap.
    Rural king sells pelican. fyi!!
    Let us know what you decide on.
    Good luck.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Dunham's kokomo has a lot of kayaks in the store. Both fishing and recreational. For fishing I agree wider is better. For recreational a little more narrow and longer will be easier to get moving quickly. We've been kayaking for 25 years. Even the narrow ones are very stable.

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    Lifetime 10 ft. Tamarack Sit-on-Top Angler Fishing Kayak
    saw these on sale at TSC for 350
    anybody have any word on these?

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    We have 2 Lifetime kayaks. One is a Tamarack Pro and the other is Yukon Angler. The Yukon is a 13 footer and much heavier and pretty much needs 2 people to carry. The Yukon also has adjustable foot rests which helps on comfort easier paddling. Both have the nicer web seats which are a game-changer. Very comfy for several hours on the water.

Wife and I take them with our RV on trips. I have 3 sons who borrow them - stuff them in the back of the truck and off they go.

We like the sit-on-top style too. For example, if you are in shallow water, etc, you can easily hop out of it. (think sand bars, etc, on White River or any other small stream)

We also practiced getting back into the kayaks if capsized in deep water. Im 230 lbs - it wasnt pretty but I was able to get back on the boat. LOL
    PS- WEAR a life jacket.

I think Lifetime makes a solid product. Go for it!

Last edited:

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I just bought one last night, after doing a lot of reading, watching reviews, etc. That isn't to say I make great informed decisions, so take it how you will.

But, I ended up getting the Pelican Catch classic 100.

I don't know how much I will use it to fish. Or use it at all. But I liked the wider footprint. Hoping it will be more stable.

It's a bit heavy, but I still lifted it into the truck ok.

Also like it has a better seating solution than many cheap ones.

Got it at Runnings, normal price was $600, on sale for $500, and had 10% off yesterday. If that's too much, they have a Pelican Sentinel on sale at $350.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    Some good deals on marketplace for used ones. Get a bill of sales so it can be registered if/when needed.
    Academy Sports opened near me with a 10ft kayak $150 off retail, but none in stock. They had Heritage Angler 10 ft sit-in for $200 so I got 2. They came with 1 Scotty rod holder up front. I've modified the Mr. Crappie 4 rod holder for mine.
    At a local online bid site I got a Sun Dolphen Journy 10 SS for $65. Don't know what brand of rod holder up front came with it. I have the Mr. Crappie 4 rod holder mounted on it.
    At 2 yard sales I found Mr. Crappie 4 rods holder for $5 and $15 new in box. Another one with a mount to go on a boat seat pedestal for $20.
    MS rule, if a watercraft is less than 16 ft a PFD must be worn at all times.

Top Bottom