• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I'm thinking of picking up a Kayak to do some fishing here in Southern Indiana and wanted to get some insight from those with experience. I only plan on fishing small local lakes possibly Blue River or Silver Creek. Most the fishing I do is basic pan fish, if I get bored I'll throw for bass. While visiting the local Bass Pro I looked at the Ascend FS12 sit in and sit on models. I like the lay out of this kayak and I like the price point. So here's where I'm at: I'm 6'2 230lbs plan on fishing calm water. Kayak weight isn't a factor. I have no experience in a Kayak only canoes.
    Is 12 ft OK should I go 10 or up to 14
    Sit in vs sit on for fishing pro's and con's
    500-600 budget must be fishing geared as this is my priority.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'm thinking of picking up a Kayak to do some fishing here in Southern Indiana and wanted to get some insight from those with experience. I only plan on fishing small local lakes possibly Blue River or Silver Creek. Most the fishing I do is basic pan fish, if I get bored I'll throw for bass. While visiting the local Bass Pro I looked at the Ascend FS12 sit in and sit on models. I like the lay out of this kayak and I like the price point. So here's where I'm at: I'm 6'2 230lbs plan on fishing calm water. Kayak weight isn't a factor. I have no experience in a Kayak only canoes.
    Is 12 ft OK should I go 10 or up to 14
    Sit in vs sit on for fishing pro's and con's
    500-600 budget must be fishing geared as this is my priority.

I'm not that experienced with picking yaks, but I will throw my two cents into the ring as for the sit in vs. sit on. I have fished/used both versions. I prefer the "sit on" version. Here's why:

I like to be able to move my legs around, and I find it easier when there is nothing holding them down (obviously).

It is also easier to put/access/use tackle boxes, etc. on "top" versus underneath.

If it's hot out, the ability to dip your feet/legs into the water is easier.

If I were to tip, it would be easier for me to fall out if my legs are not restricted.

These are just the things that popped into my head for now. As for length, the longer, the easier it is to track a straight line.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I'm not that experienced with picking yaks, but I will throw my two cents into the ring as for the sit in vs. sit on. I have fished/used both versions. I prefer the "sit on" version. Here's why:

I like to be able to move my legs around, and I find it easier when there is nothing holding them down (obviously).

It is also easier to put/access/use tackle boxes, etc. on "top" versus underneath.

If I were to tip, it would be easier for me to fall out if my legs are not restricted.

These are just the things that popped into my head for now. As for length, the longer, the easier it is to track a straight line.

As someone who has a sit in kayak and have tipped, getting out is not an issue. This past Saturday, my fiance and I took her kayak to an indoor pool session, one of the things they did (besides rolling) was a wet exit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EJKFAZikwg&list=UUY5MrZUv_zhXlQ7wIA-Fhpw&index=1

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine

I agree with everything 'pjcalla' said; and go for the longer (14'). -- Greg

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    As someone who has a sit in kayak and have tipped, getting out is not an issue. This past Saturday, my fiance and I took her kayak to an indoor pool session, one of the things they did (besides rolling) was a wet exit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EJKFAZikwg&list=UUY5MrZUv_zhXlQ7wIA-Fhpw&index=1

I know it not really an "issue," but I would rather just fall off than worry about getting my legs out of a hole while my head is under water. Granted, I'm not an experienced paddler, so YMMV.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Getting out after a roll isn't an issue. Done it way more times than I want to admit. The advantage to a "sit in" is that you can brace the upper surface with your legs for added stability. For fishing, you want to consider initial stability more than final stability. In other words, how stable is the boat while sitting still. Many kayaks and or canoes are quite stable under propulsion but are tippy while stationary. Think sitting on a bike while it's stationary versus moving. Wider flatter bottoms excel at initial stability but lack maneuverability and trackability. Increased length will help support your weight better than a short boat but it's the width that is important in this case.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I had been holding out for one of these for a few years. Found out last year they discontinued them. :xmad:
    Synergy 12 - Mad River Canoe

Man thats sweet I might have to try and track one of those down.

I noticed that ascend makes a 10 foot angler that is a couple inches wider than the 12 I wan't to say it's 31 wide as opposed to 12's 29.
    As far as brand is the Ascend a decent kayak?

Viper393

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Clark County
    I bought the Ascend FS12 sit-in a couple of years ago and have been very happy with it. I'm 6'3" and 250lbs and I've never came close to tipping it over. The cockpit is plenty large enough for easy entry/exit and it has plenty of storage for coolers, tackleboxes, etc. It has a large keel (for a kayak) which makes it track well on lakes but on Blue River it sometimes takes a lot of effort to change course to avoid rocks and downed trees. My only complaint is it's heavy weight but it's still a lot easier to haul around than my canoe.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a Dagger Blackwater that is no fishing yak, but I have fished from. I can paddle past 50hp trolling motors on the lake but the stability with rod in hand is a bit of work, as John mentioned.

I wonder about bolt on fishing related stuff as this will likely be my fishing yak, for this year anyway.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    a hobie revolution 13 is on the top of my list for big purchases... I have been wanting to get into kayak fishing for a LOOONG time. unfortunately noboby else has a kayak to go w/ me and it doesn't seem like something that would be all that enjoyable by myself.

Now I am looking into a hobie adventure island... can have a family day on it, or take the sail kit and the booms off and I have a two person kayak whenever I can find someone else to go w/ me.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    AH I'm getting cold feet about this whole Kayak thing I'm thinking I may be better off in a canoe.....
    How wet should I expect to get in a sit on?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    http://m.cabelas.com/cabelas/catalog?cid=1256130

AH I'm getting cold feet about this whole Kayak thing I'm thinking I may be better off in a canoe.....
    How wet should I expect to get in a sit on?

Try the link in the title. I've been thinkin of one of the little pontoons for one man portable small water fishing.
    Might need a trolling motor for river work tho'.
    Maybe the link in the second post will work.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I got my kayak because I was tired of fishing from access points as opposed to fishing the very cover that you would want to fish. If you can reach the water, you can get the kayak in the water. You do not need a ramp nor rely on having another person to help carry your boat.

I attached rod holders to the kayak and paddle clamps. It is a 9' long sit-in and easily thrown in the back of the truck. I always fish with my flyrod but carry a spinning rod or ultralight with me for those times when you just have to throw it a couple of times. I also have a short paddle that I one hand to keep my nose on my intended target after having landed a fish or drifted.

I would only bring a lure on the spinning rod and one in the hat. All of my other fishing gear I carried in a fishing vest (short wadding length). It has cup holders on the inside but I prefer the canteen between the legs. I would lay the net and short paddle on the skirt while I fished.

I have found mine to be very stable and never once thought I was going over. I was out in Morse reservoir and had the wave runners tearing up the water around me as I was making my way to the dam end. The kayak easily took the "waves".

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    For Sale - Cave Country Canoes

This is a rental place in marengo and they sell some of their rentals from time to time.

You could get one for cheap to see of you like it and if you do you could easily sell it and upgrade if you decide you like it.

This is what i have:
    http://www.neckykayaks.com/uploaded...ges/Looksha14rudder_yellow_angle_large.jpgand

Its 14' and is more for day trips and bigger water but i fish blue river with it all the time and it is almost as stable as the sit on top rentals they offer but much faster on the water. The shorter and wider it is the more stable it will be but it wont track as well when your trying to get somewhere. So if your staying on small water and going downstream on rivers you would be good with a 12'. If you think you would want to tackle some bigger water i would go with something more along the lines of the link above(there are similar boats that are lower priced by the way)

Legba

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    NE Indiana
    You don't have to go and buy an expensive kayak for fishing. We got 2 from Dunhams for about $180-$200 a piece. You can buy the rod holders, paddle holders, foot braces etc and install them yourself. A good anchor cost about $35 and comes in handy. I have a chepo sit in Pelican kayak that works great for lakes and rivers. Another good investment is aqua shoes. The shoes come in handy for portaging and when you want to fish outside of the kayak.

gunsisgood

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    Maine
    Manta Ray 14
    VERY comfortable for larger folks :), dry riding, extra stable and has great capacity, a little pricey and heavy but I REALLY like mine.:rockwoot:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Future Beach Trophy 126 Kayak - Dick's Sporting Goods

This is the Kayak i own and have fished in regularly since i've owned it. I would recommend it to anyone and it is even just below your price point. Give some research into it and i would stay between 10-12' because it will be the best of both worlds for paddling in a lake vs. stream/river

Better yet, take this add to any other operation who will price match Dicks price. That way you won't support Dicks who doesn't support the 2nd Amendment.

Top Bottom