Kansas mule deer tag filled (and warning for bow hunters).

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    What a roller coaster for Kansas Archery this year.

I slipped in on a stud on a Sunday evening. At 22 yards he was slightly quarting to me. Not bad at all, but I do/did shoot mechanical heads, so I needed to miss the shoulder blade. I put the arrow the arrow exactly where I wanted it. He trotted of 100 yards and layed down (not fell down). I could see his head was up in the sage brush, so I sat still waiting on it to fall over. Looking down, I see Razor's from my broad head a few yards from me (bad sign). I could get about 20 yards closer to him without making any noise. In Kansas there is always plenty of wind, but not this day. I saw scared if I tried to move in, I would spook him and be in for a real rodeo. I decided a field point in the lungs (basically what I had after losing my blades) would kill him quickly (hindsight, I probably should have tried for another shot).

After about 20 minutes a group of does walked by him. He stood up, and layed back down within a few seconds (good sign). After about 20 more minutes he stood up and started to walk away. I started moving parallel to him to try and keep him in sight. He layed down after about 80 yards, so I thought this was the end. As dark started to roll in, a group of yotes came by and got him up again. He started walking north east, and I was able to follow him staying about 500 yards away for about 1/2 mile. Eventually I popped up on a ridge, and instead of him being broadside, I saw his butt walking away headed south east. There was no way I could keep up with this, so the gig was up. I marked his last location on ONx, and went back to beds. Not 1 drop of blood anywhere in any of his beds, I backed out and waited on light knowing this just turned into a body search.

On Monday my buddy and I (he lives out there) put in about 20 miles looking. On Tuesday I put in another 30 looking. On Wednesday morning I called it and gave up. In Kansas I could have shot another buck, but in my mind, I put an arrow in him, and believed it to be a kill shot, so that was my tag. I went home Wednesday, and my buddy said "the river is north west about 1/2 mile, I'm going to look there but dont think he went that way (last travel I saw was South east).

I get home, and had been here about 10 hours (15.5 hour drive) and get a call. My buddy had found my deer laying in the river. I hopped back in the truck for the 31 hour round trip drive to retrieve him.

The lesson here for me is I will never under any circumstances shoot a mechanical head again. The cutting diameter is just not worth it in modern archery. Final score 182 2/8th

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    I commend you on your moral stance! Great job by you and your buddy. It is a mount with a story. That makes it more special. Write it up and tape it on the back of the board it gets mounted on so the story lives beyond you. Dates, times, types of arrow, etc. Who knows who will find it valuable due to the story decades from now. Oh and congratulations!!!!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    glad you got him. what kind of mechanical did you have?

I was using Swacker. I inspected the rest of my heads as I was throwing them in the trash, an there is a center pin that was easily pushed out on all my heads. I ordered some Montec G5's from Kansas. Thankfully it was my last bow hunt of the year, so I can spend all summer getting dope on the new heads.

KARP

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2020
    Nwi
    I just watched a YouTube video on the Swacker crossbow broadhead yesterday.
    I was thinking about trying them.
    Now listening to your experience with them I think I'll pass. The video was on a YouTube site ( Death by Bunjie ) if anyone is interested.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Congrats on a very nice buck!

I highly recommend the Lusk Archery channel on YT for extensive broadhead testing. It's more than a bit dry but has good info in my opinion. The general take away for those that don't want to sit through multiple dry videos, is that some mechanicals hold up and perform with all but the best of fixed blades, some fail miserably and some perform on par with lower quality fixed blades. IIRC, Swacker is not among the top tier for mechanicals.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    What a roller coaster for Kansas Archery this year.

I slipped in on a stud on a Sunday evening. At 22 yards he was slightly quarting to me. Not bad at all, but I do/did shoot mechanical heads, so I needed to miss the shoulder blade. I put the arrow the arrow exactly where I wanted it. He trotted of 100 yards and layed down (not fell down). I could see his head was up in the sage brush, so I sat still waiting on it to fall over. Looking down, I see Razor's from my broad head a few yards from me (bad sign). I could get about 20 yards closer to him without making any noise. In Kansas there is always plenty of wind, but not this day. I saw scared if I tried to move in, I would spook him and be in for a real rodeo. I decided a field point in the lungs (basically what I had after losing my blades) would kill him quickly (hindsight, I probably should have tried for another shot).

After about 20 minutes a group of does walked by him. He stood up, and layed back down within a few seconds (good sign). After about 20 more minutes he stood up and started to walk away. I started moving parallel to him to try and keep him in sight. He layed down after about 80 yards, so I thought this was the end. As dark started to roll in, a group of yotes came by and got him up again. He started walking north east, and I was able to follow him staying about 500 yards away for about 1/2 mile. Eventually I popped up on a ridge, and instead of him being broadside, I saw his butt walking away headed south east. There was no way I could keep up with this, so the gig was up. I marked his last location on ONx, and went back to beds. Not 1 drop of blood anywhere in any of his beds, I backed out and waited on light knowing this just turned into a body search.

On Monday my buddy and I (he lives out there) put in about 20 miles looking. On Tuesday I put in another 30 looking. On Wednesday morning I called it and gave up. In Kansas I could have shot another buck, but in my mind, I put an arrow in him, and believed it to be a kill shot, so that was my tag. I went home Wednesday, and my buddy said "the river is north west about 1/2 mile, I'm going to look there but dont think he went that way (last travel I saw was South east).

I get home, and had been here about 10 hours (15.5 hour drive) and get a call. My buddy had found my deer laying in the river. I hopped back in the truck for the 31 hour round trip drive to retrieve him.

The lesson here for me is I will never under any circumstances shoot a mechanical head again. The cutting diameter is just not worth it in modern archery. Final score 182 2/8th

Nice buck, Allen. I've used the G5 Montecs with good results. I tried an NAP 2 blade mechanical this year. The end result was good. Still find that the best blood trails come from 3 fixed blades and a pass through. Curiosity keeps me trying other styles.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Nice buck, Allen. I've used the G5 Montecs with good results. I tried an NAP 2 blade mechanical this year. The end result was good. Still find that the best blood trails come from 3 fixed blades and a pass through. Curiosity keeps me trying other styles.
    I've never bow hunted, but our next door neighbors when I was growing up did, and I used to read articles in Field & Stream and the like as a kid. I just remember them using the old 3 or 4 blade "razor" broadheads, and of course they all had recurve bows (compound bows hadn't been invented yet).

I do remember when the big thing was when they added a "bullet-like" point in the center of the razor blades and those were supposed to go through bone better or something.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Don't mean to dog mechanical broadheads, but that is why I shoot a traditional Zwickey eskimo and always will. Gald you recovered the deer.

Dirty Steve

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Congrats on the buck and two thumbs up on you and your buddies tenacity…. Seeing it thru. Mechanical broadheads….. SUCK!!! Folks been killing deer with solid mount steel for two centuries and flint before that….

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I was using Swacker. I inspected the rest of my heads as I was throwing them in the trash, an there is a center pin that was easily pushed out on all my heads. I ordered some Montec G5's from Kansas. Thankfully it was my last bow hunt of the year, so I can spend all summer getting dope on the new heads.

I have/do use g5's successfully. You'll be pleased with them.

These are nice as well, but $$. ( I get all my feathers from them so I tend to lump in with orders. they carry G5's as well)

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I had a swacker not open on one side with a doe this year. Was a good heart/lung shot so she still only went about 20 yds. Last time I ever use them. I went with rage and so far so good.

Top Bottom