Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Thought this was interesting too.

What is the shelf life of avgas?
    Reprinted with permission from General Aviation News
    by Ben Visser

Bill Albrecht, who has a heli-pad and hangar in his backyard, recently installed a 2,000-gallon avgas
    tank. His question: "What is the shelf life of avgas?"
    The short answer is that, under most conditions, the shelf life of avgas is about one year. If you are
    a commercial operator, this is the end of the discussion.
    For a private pilot, however, there are several points to consider. First, there is a large margin of
    safety in the one-year storage life of avgas. The main concern when storing fuels is oxidation and
    subsequent formation of gum. Once the fuel starts to form gum, it can cause problems in the entire
    fuel system. I've checked numerous avgas samples after two years or even more and found no
    degradation, with the samples meeting all specification requirements. The samples will last even
    longer if the container is blanketed with nitrogen or stored in a colder climate.
    The second point is that the one year shelf life applies to avgas and not auto gas. If a pilot is using
    auto gas, he should make a serious effort to use all of the fuel supply within six months of
    purchase.
    So if avgas is good for one year, how long can you store lubricants? Let's start with engine oils. The
    specifications generally state that the manufacturer must guarantee a product will meet physical
    property limits for at least three years. Here again, I've tested oils after five and 10 years — from
    sealed containers — and found them to meet the spec. There was a small amount of additive
    settling after 10 years, but the oil was still on spec. I've also checked samples from open drums
    after three to five years and found them to be on spec except for a amount of moisture dissolved in
    the oil. This is not a serious problem if your engine is running with a proper oil temperature and can
    evaporate the moisture on the first few flights. However with a low usage aircraft, especially one
    with an oil temp below 160°F, the moisture can contribute to increased rust activity in the engine.
    The mil spec for aviation greases calls for the manufacturer to guarantee that the product meets the
    limits for at least three years. This is for a product in a sealed container. The problem with grease is
    that much of it is used from an open-top container, which is generally open to the atmosphere. Here
    the product is prone to absorb moisture. This can be a problem because many of the applications
    for these products do not get to a temperature high enough to boil off the moisture. This can lead to
    increased rust activity and decreased component life. Therefore, it is important to always smooth
    out the top surface of the grease to limit the surface area exposed to air. I also have found
    numerous containers that were not properly covered. Many of these samples contained an excessive
    amount of dirt and foreign matter which could decrease component life. Greases should be stored in
    a dry place with the lids tightly sealed.
    Ben Visser is an aviation fuels and lubricants expert who spent 33 years with Shell Oil. He has been
    a private pilot since 1985. You can contact him at Visser@GeneralAviationNews.com.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks..

Note to self I guess the room heater with Kerosene is better than the Propane one since the fuel is cheaper and can be stored. Off course propane can be stored FOREVER. =)

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    If you're just burning it in the open, a lamp or heater, then even old kerosene will still burn though with decreased BTUs. Apparently, the smell also becomes worse when the kero is old, though.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'm looking into getting a portable room heater. Was going to get the Mr. Heat Buddy @ Menards for $110 until 1/31/09.
    Mr_Heater_Portable_Buddy_Heater-3.jpg

It can use the 1 gal propane tanks on either side (the image is of jr. Heater while big has connections on both ends) or via an adapter you connect a propane tank.

But then saw a propane heater for $99 at the same store.
    Kerosene_Heater.jpg

Which heats up a large space for less price! So I figured I better go do some research on which would be better. I'm looking for a heater to heat the house in an emergency should my generator go out which powers the house in emergencies. So this heater is really a back up to the backup but figure I could use it in the garage as well.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    From experience and a larger area, I'd go with the kerosene heater. Have extra wicks on hand for backup and they will keep you warm. I've never thought that the Buddy heaters had enough output for a large area and are expensive to operate. Lowe's will clearance those off soon but you run the risk of them being out of stock if you wait.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have the dyna glo pictured. I use it in my garage with 3 year old K1 to keep it warm when it drops below zero. Works fine. It also melts the ice off the wife's Tahoe overnight. Keeps her happy.

For some reason that escapes me, the sensors that stop the door from going down don't work when it too cold out.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Kerosene_Heater.jpg

Which heats up a large space for less price! So I figured I better go do some research on which would be better. I'm looking for a heater to heat the house in an emergency should my generator go out which powers the house in emergencies. So this heater is really a back up to the backup but figure I could use it in the garage as well.

THIS IS A GREAT HEATER, I JUST BOUGHT ONE FOR MY SHOP AND I LOVE IT. VERY SAFE AND USER FREINDLY.

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    I use my Reddy Heater 110,000 btu to warm the shop and my Dynaglo to keep it at Temp. Reddy heater is forced air and to loud ( at least to me )to leave on all the time.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I've heard first hand of guys using 10-15 year old kerosene and its still fine.

I have used the Heater Buddy Jr and it kicks out heat for a small area, but not much else. Still, it is compact and easy to use.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'm looking into getting a portable room heater. Was going to get the Mr. Heat Buddy @ Menards for $110 until 1/31/09.

It can use the 1 gal propane tanks on either side (the image is of jr. Heater while big has connections on both ends) or via an adapter you connect a propane tank.

I'd definitely go with the Kerosene. Check how long that propane heater will take to go through a 20 lb tank... it's not long!

That kerosene heater looks a lot like one we have. Ours will heat 1000 sq foot house handily, and 2 gal of Kerosene lasts about 12 hrs. That's roughly $15 a day to heat a big area, and it does work just as advertised. We've got 20 gallons of Kerosene, and by heating for a while then letting it get cold for a while we can make it last a week if needed due to storms. I know at one point last winter we actually had to make use of it for several days during a power outage. A two story rowhouse, roughly 1000 square feet, both stories were toasty warm. We set it at the bottom of the stairs, and you could feel heat blasting up them. Come morning time, the living room would be at almost 90, despite the ice storm outside. Wonderful and economical backup. We left it off during the day when we were out of the house, and ended up using about 2 gal a day.

Top Bottom