Just wondering...If Perhaps the Church mouse and others are responsible for this

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • migunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    DeMotte
    It's the law of diminishing returns... that last 20% or less in quality/finish/feature set, etc, often cost 80% or even more to get. Often times its more like that last 2- 5% costs 100% more.

It is not just parts, fit, appearance. At a point right between top of the line all bar stick steel parts and a custom hand fit pistol is a place where the difference is in the skill of the gunsmith. This is where the real value / cost comes in. You get what you pay for when your 1911 is built by someone with 25 years of experience.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I’ve never seen a Wilson Combat in person, but I just don’t see anything on their website that pops out at me to justify the $3k+ price tag. I’ll go on not knowing what I’m missing out on and enjoy my Springfield mil spec.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I’ve never seen a Wilson Combat in person, but I just don’t see anything on their website that pops out at me to justify the $3k+ price tag. I’ll go on not knowing what I’m missing out on and enjoy my Springfield mil spec.

It might be the wiser decision.

Just looking is not the key. Pick one up. I will never drop the asking price for one either but the diff. is easily felt.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It is not just parts, fit, appearance. At a point right between top of the line all bar stick steel parts and a custom hand fit pistol is a place where the difference is in the skill of the gunsmith. This is where the real value / cost comes in. You get what you pay for when your 1911 is built by someone with 25 years of experience.

Agreed, and that skill comes at a cost. A journeyman smith may be able to get you to a certain point and his experience will demand less $ than the master smith.

Point is, with law of diminishing returns in economics, those advanced gains that provide that extra few percent of quality increase to make an item truly a masterpiece, demand substantially more $, than the larger percentage of quality gain achieved between a mediocre and a good quality piece.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Shame you do not live closer.

He could always ship something to be worked on, or make a trip up north here to get with one of the local guys here and custom order that new shiny custom 1911 or maybe something like a Browning HP and then post on INGO all about it (I live vicariously, through these stories :ingo:... maybe a sweet bobtailed and carry melted AllenM special, or a Cree Custom)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    He could always ship something to be worked on, or make a trip up north here to get with one of the local guys here and custom order that new shiny custom 1911 and then post on INGO all about it (I live vicariously, through these stories :ingo:... maybe a sweet bobtailed and carry melted AllenM special, or a Cree Custom)

AllenM is deep into my current 1911 10mm custom. I got to fondle it today and I seriously needed a moment alone. I believe he has a line after mine but I am not sure. A simple PM asking him this is all it would take. If yes it the answer then just add cash and be patient. You will not be disappointed. I have a pistol safe full of his work. I am a happy man.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    AllenM is deep into my current 1911 10mm custom. I got to fondle it today and I seriously needed a moment alone. I believe he has a line after mine but I am not sure. A simple PM asking him this is all it would take. If yes it the answer then just add cash and be patient. You will not be disappointed. I have a pistol safe full of his work. I am a happy man.

Yep. Allen is the MAN without doubt. Run (don't walk) to the bank and get out your money and give it to Allen. You will not be disappointed!!! Truly a craftsman at his trade, and a really great guy as well.

CM: I think I saw your 10mm when I was in Allen's shop the other day. Very sweeeeet.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Shame you do not live closer.
    Indeed Guess I am a day late and a Dollar short. I wish I would have been more active when we still lived in Boone Grove. But when you have a family to support it gets hard to pass up an opportunity to make $20k a year more , move package, and a pension.

If you ever get down this way my range Is open year round. We do get up to Valparaiso every so often to visit friends.

Oh yeah and of course Fair Oaks Farms cheese!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom