• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMPULSE.ACTIONS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    There
    So I went with a friend to pick up a new handgun a couple months ago and he decided to get a .40 cal. XDm. We put about 50 rounds thru it that day. I was really impressed with it and told him if he ever considered getting rid of it that I would buy it. Well he called and said it just sits in the case so he wants to find something else. I picked it up last night for a great deal and am looking forward to putting some more range time in with it.

Does anyone know if there are any good aftermarket holsters for these yet?

Last edited:

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Blackhawk Serpa, Crossbreed Super Tuck, MTAC, DM Bullard Dual Carry, and just about anything that will fit a XD Tactical. I carry in a Crossbreed Super Tuck at about 4 'o clock.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington

IMPULSE.ACTIONS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    There
    Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully I will be able to find something similar locally so I can try the fitment and feel of the holster before I order one for the gun.

LuckyBrush

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Delphi, Indiana

JTPharmD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Eastside
    LAWRRA,

I've been "thinking" as well. I haven't heard anything negative at all. I'm still a noob, what pointers (other than "just get the XDm 40 already") would you (and anyone else with any experience) have for a greenhorn?

1/2 shot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    State of Confusion
    LAWRRA,

I've been "thinking" as well. I haven't heard anything negative at all. I'm still a noob, what pointers (other than "just get the XDm 40 already") would you (and anyone else with any experience) have for a greenhorn?

If you've just been thinking and looking at magazines, catalogs or websites, go to some of the shops around town and see how they feel to you. If you have a friend that has one see if they will let you try it next time they go to the range (makes a good excuse to go when you have a friend in need):D or you might try renting one at some ranges.

As for the holsters don't forget Galco, Kramer, Desantis, Blackhawk, Bladetech, Tucker, Horseshoe and Fist just to name a few.:twocents:

melloshmello

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    i am planning on getting a XDm 40 after the next gun on my list. thing is itll be a 40 until i get home and drop in the .357 sig barrel in it.

what can i say, i love .357 sig. :D

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    There are many features that I like about the XDM but most of the features vary for personal fit and preference. One big deal to me is the grip profile, much like a 1911 in angle it is more comfortable to me for general plinking and some amuatur target work. The M also has very aggresive grip serrations that help in controlling slip in the hand under recoil helping you get back on target fast for a follow up shot with minimal to no grip reposition.

Another big plus with the M is the interchangable back straps. This allows you to fit it to your hand just about no matter what size your hand is. I currently have my 40 setup with the thick backstrap for me and my 9 setup with the small one which fits my wife and me if I am shooting with gloves perfectly.

The M's do sport a 4.5" barrel, and you wouldn't think .5" would make much a difference over a 4" but to me it does. The slide on the M is not straight side either like the XD and Glocks, but more tapered getting wider as you go down and the slide serrations are deeper and have more angle to them allowing for a sure grip in a fast rack.

Disassembly is a snap, unlike the XD in which you locked the slide back, flipped the take-down lever up, released the slide and slid it off. The M you just lock the slide back, flip the lever, release the slide and she decocks herself and slide right apart. The M does have a seperate guide rod and spring instead of the spring and rod all one piece like my compact and sub-compact but as long as you remove it with finesse it shouldn't take a leap of faith.

The trigger is also relocated some so that it actually has a different pivot angle, which shortens up the pull and provides for a smooth short pull and doesn't have to travel as far to reset like most striker fired pistols.

I am not going to tell you that it is better than a Glock or vice versa because that would be a bold-faced lie. They each have their pros and cons but damn near all those cons are personal fit related. the main reasons I perfer the XD and the XDM over a Glock is the grip angle and the grip safety. Without the grip safety depressed the trigger is disengaged and the slide can not be rack far enough to chamber or manually eject a round.

If I was to want a pistol where the only purpose I was going to use it was combat or combat shooting I would most likely go with a Glock due to the grip profile and lower sight heigth. But I want a pistol that is just as reliable as a Glock with a different profile for target shooting and combat application.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!;)

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    LAWRRA,

Get what feels comfortable in your hand. I began considering the XDm after reading several articles and compared it to other 40 caliber pistols. I bought the XDm after I handled Glocks, Sigs, HK's, and Taurus's because it felt better to me. Find the guns that have the features you're looking for, then get a feel for them and shoot them if possible.

melloshmello:
    I've seen .357 Sig barrels online and that's an awesome idea. I've also heard of people buying 9mm barrels and magazines to do a swap.

.357 Sig barrel for XDm

Just about any XD/XDm part you may want

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    well since no one else has done it i will...

get a glock. the xdm may be ok for the time being, but in the end you will want a gun that functions no matter what, and that will be a glock. get the G22 and you wont be disappointed. it feels natural in your hands, and shoots like a dream. there is no reason to get anything else.

melloshmello

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    melloshmello:
    I've seen .357 Sig barrels online and that's an awesome idea. I've also heard of people buying 9mm barrels and magazines to do a swap.

.357 Sig barrel for XDm

Just about any XD/XDm part you may want

my only curiosity about switching out the barrels is if the barrel i switch out will still be 'match' grade like the 40 is stock in the XDm. if not, then i already have a XD in .357 so i think it would be kinda pointless for me to have two of the 'same gun', ya know? :)

Top Bottom