• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    So I got an Ich for a run around in the woods beat the crap outta it knife. So yesterday the better half says I can order the knife if I want it. So What I got was a Rat Cutlery RC-5 SERE check it out and afer I get it I will post some pics and a review.

RAT Cutlery Co.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Nice catch. Sure does beat the old AF survival knife. Make sure you touch up the edge as you go and keep it cleaned. 1095 may rust a little quicker than some if you leave water and blood on it for extended periods but I think you'll like it.
    congrats
    Bob

GBultra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    I've been looking for something of this sort but money is the only factor that's been holding me back.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    Money wasn't that bad less than 175 I am getting so restless it says its in Indianapolis. Maybe tomarrow, I will let you all know.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    So I got the knife and It is amazing. The edge is sharp enough to shave my arm hair and the whole knife just seems to be tougher than nails. I will post pics soon

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    I would say this thing is the best "hit the fan" knife I can think of it has just taken a beating this week and wasnt all that much money I am impressed to say the least.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Hickman, don't over look a good machete, they can do many chores in a pinch, while not ideal for many, they chop better then mny "combat" knives, can be used to make traps or fillet a fish. great for making firewood as well

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Hickman, don't over look a good machete, they can do many chores in a pinch, while not ideal for many, they chop better then mny "combat" knives, can be used to make traps or fillet a fish. great for making firewood as well

Oh, I'll add a machete to the list too :yesway:

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Yeah its just thick and short, so I put it in the combat category, and not in the "feild" where it belongs, If it was maybe 7 inches I would like it better as a survival knife, 5 inches limits the size of wood you can baton through to basically limbs, IT looks lke acutter though and they make good stuff, I just am unsure of what I could do with that that I couldn't do with a good mora or puko, and a machette.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    We Need Pics!!

and on a different note....since this thread was posted I have been looking at Rat Cutlery, thanks alot!
    Means me spending more money-:D

The IZULA has caught my eye...What ya think?
    Fairly small, but convient.

SPECS:
    izula-sheath-black.jpg

Overall Length: 6.25"
    Blade Length (end of handle to tip): 2.88"
    Thickness: .156"
    Steel: 1095 Carbon
    Weight: 2 ounces without sheath​

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    the neck knives are perfect little carry blades. I will get pics soon just had a problem with my camera and finding the little card reader thing to put em on the computer.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    Ok well here is a short kinda review. The knife wa sharp enough to shave my face with when I got it this lasted about 10 min. It has a great utility edge on it. I have been using it for just about everything I cut tree branches off with it any where from 1inch to about 6 inches with no problems worked great cutting up smaller firewood.

Cons are I can see where it being longer in a survival situation would be a bit better for batoning and the like. The coating makes it get hot to the point of almost burning you if it is in the sun for a long time.

Other than that I think it was well worth the money I spent and seems to be a true performer if you figure it was less than $200. But, I would now gladly pay twice the amount I did having used it.

Top Bottom