• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    They wouldnt even let you defer until later? Thats typically a slam dunk. (at least up here in the big city) Getting OUT of it is hard, doing it later is usually easy. Wife has done it several times.

The last thing counsel wants is somebody in the box mentally saying "wrap this bish up so I can just vote and go home. I dont have time for this crap."

They gave me the option of postponing it, but my work situation isn't going get better in a few months. Our distribution department and warehouse is in a bad place as far as help goes. Let's just say I don't get attached or even bother to learn the names of the new people I see. Chances are, they won't be around in a couple of months. I told the lady just leave me in November. I figured I'd have better chance of not getting called with a major holiday in my month, but knowing me, I'll get the Jill Behrman trial.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    They gave me the option of postponing it, but my work situation isn't going get better in a few months. Our distribution department and warehouse is in a bad place as far as help goes. Let's just say I don't get attached or even bother to learn the names of the new people I see. Chances are, they won't be around in a couple of months. I told the lady just leave me in November. I figured I'd have better chance of not getting called with a major holiday in my month, but knowing me, I'll get the Jill Behrman trial.

When (if) you get called you might ask the Judge for a hardship exemption. You still have to show up for the initial dog and pony show and hurry up and wait but you might get out of the trial. I know the Judge let people out of my jury pool for the silliest of reasons until the pool started getting too small. Be polite and humble and wait for the appropriate time. Ask the clerk or someone in the courtroom when/how to ask.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    i was called one time, and during the questioning stage a question was asked, is there anything work related that could stop you from sitting on the jury, one person said that he was supposed to fly to north carolina for a meeting with a clien about getting new buisness for the comany, the reply from one of the attorneys was "we don't care about that, jury duty is a civic duty and your responsability" he got seated!

my wife got the questionare and called the courts to discuss her situation, stay at home mother of twins without daycare or a sitter for the kids, they replied "lack of childcare is not an excuse!", my mon told her "fine, if they call you take them with you!"

she called her doctor and he wrote the court a letter saying she had irritable bowel syndrome and couldn't be expected to sit for long periods without access to a bathroom...she was excused

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    i was called one time, and during the questioning stage a question was asked, is there anything work related that could stop you from sitting on the jury, one person said that he was supposed to fly to north carolina for a meeting with a clien about getting new buisness for the comany, the reply from one of the attorneys was "we don't care about that, jury duty is a civic duty and your responsability" he got seated!

my wife got the questionare and called the courts to discuss her situation, stay at home mother of twins without daycare or a sitter for the kids, they replied "lack of childcare is not an excuse!", my mon told her "fine, if they call you take them with you!"

she called her doctor and he wrote the court a letter saying she had irritable bowel syndrome and couldn't be expected to sit for long periods without access to a bathroom...she was excused

Today has me more concerned than ever. I had to run to our warehouse today to pick product up since our loading crew couldn't get it right, plus make it to see my regular customers and get them taken care of. No way could a fill in guy have got this done like I did.

I've tried to explain my situation, but they just won't listen. I've thought about mentioning the legal issue I have going against a contractor that did some work on my house. If I explain how thrilled I am with the legal system so far and the $180 per hour my attorney is charging me, maybe they won't be interested in a bitter old a-hole like me.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When (if) you get called you might ask the Judge for a hardship exemption. You still have to show up for the initial dog and pony show and hurry up and wait but you might get out of the trial. I know the Judge let people out of my jury pool for the silliest of reasons until the pool started getting too small. Be polite and humble and wait for the appropriate time. Ask the clerk or someone in the courtroom when/how to ask.
    I tried the hardship route (I can't afford to miss work for this). Judge didn't care. That's when I resorted to "give the defendant and his attorney dirty looks" tactic.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I tried the hardship route (I can't afford to miss work for this). Judge didn't care. That's when I resorted to "give the defendant and his attorney dirty looks" tactic.

ok if you really want out, it sounds like you have to go, but if you say either of these 4 things, you wont get seated

1-a friend met with the plaintiffs lawyer once, he said something didn't feel right and that he didn't think he could trust him...BOOM he'll kick you off in a heartbeat!

2-they should ask if you are preadjust, you say, I hate Greek's!...they'll reply "my client isn't greek" you say "he looks greek to me!" BOOM your off the jury

3- if its a criminal trial say I don't trust the police...my cousin was shot by a police officer for no reason! BOOM your off the jury!

or call your doctor and have him write you the irritable bowel note! if you get the note, you should be excused for life!

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I've been called 4 times. The very first time was in about 1990. I got picked for the jury and the case was a child molestation case. The trial went 5 days and it was the worst friggen time of my life having to listen to all of the testimony and look at graphic images. I was then elected foreman when we were given the case for deliberation and returned a guilty verdict in very short order (after ordering a pizza on the County to feed us all). I have never been chosen to serve since. Each time I have been called and asked if I have served on a jury before and what type of case it was I am immediately shown the door when I respond. I would all most like to respond when notified that you're not going to every dream of picking me so may I please be excused.

Dirty Steve

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Many moons ago when I was a court deputy for the Sheriffs dept, I had to report for jury duty. The Sheriffs dept wouldn't let me off work and instructed me to report in uniform and once release get to work. The lady checking people in was not amused but marked me excused and sent me on my way.

Second time I had to report was a few years ago and when they were picking jurrors they ran through a list of officers and asked if any of us knew them. I knew a few and didn't recognize the names of the rest but informed the judge after 18yrs working on police cars, I probably knew most if not all of them and that I not only knew the detective sitting with the prosecutor but we belonged to the same church, I was quickly excused.
    As a former court deputy, I will say it can be amazing what some get released for and amazing how some get picked regardless of their answers to the questionnaire. In all honesty I would dread it so bad if I didn't have to park so far away and pay for parking. And if I didn't have to play the am I going to get groped and fondled at the door game or halfway undress before I go in...oh and judges love it when you show up in sweat pants and a hoddie because you didn't want to have to get halfway undressed to enter a building they summoned you to..to some degree against your will. I get it is a civic duty but I don't think it should be such a PITA for people doing said civic duty.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Y'all so lucky I've never had to do jury duty. I once got a questionnaire I had to send back but I've never been selected.

I'm a bit jealous.
    Me too. I haven't even gotten a questionnaire. I am 59 years old, lived in the same house for about 30 years. Always been a registered voter and always had a drivers license. Never been arrested. Just one ticket back in 1979. I have never heard a word from anyone about jury duty. I feel discriminated against.

Top Bottom