• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I've never been one to crack my knuckles/back/whatever just for the hell of it, and I question the sanity of those who do. However, for most of my adult life, I've had an issue with my neck where it will stiffen up over time to the point where I can't move it without it popping. This has turned into a habitual head-wobble routine that I do to keep it loose. All fine & good, except I cringe at the thought of the damage/wear & tear I must be putting the joints through.

Another one that only comes up with workouts is the popping in my right knee for about the first half-dozen squats... which is why I always warm up without weights, because that **** would probably make me toss the bar if it happened in the middle of weighted squats.

Recently though, a new thing has popped up. I get a pain in my sternum (no, not "chest pains", spare me the lecture and handwringing) to where even doing pushups feels like someone's stabbing me in the chest UNLESS I stretch and arch my back such that my sternum/ribs pop. Once again for the people in the cheap seats: this is distinctly skeletal/muscular, not cardio/pulmonary.

So it makes me wonder... is that just aging, or is there some process or dietary cause that makes this crap happen? Because if I'm going to have to do this new chest routine the way I do my neck, I think I'm going to scream. And does anyone else have this particular issue?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Spasmo and Lil'Spas both pop their knuckles constantly. It drives me up the wall. I hate the sound.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The older I get the more I creak, pop and crack. I'd attribute it to age unless you've had an injury. I dislocated my clavicle last year doing military presses and now it pops during a variety of exercises. Thankfully it isn't painful but I'm sure it isn't beneficial either.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Popping joints will not harm them, and the looser a joint is the more prone it is to popping. It's usually caused by bubbles of gas moving around, and sometimes those bubbles (or a misalignment) can cause the joint to catch or hurt until it's been relieved. For most folks it's a harmless habit except to those who are annoyed by it.

In your case, Fletch, it sounds like you've worked the sternum joints loose (most folks aren't aware that the sternum and rib attachments are joints! and it's causing some discomfort until it gets aligned properly again. It happens to me once in a while. I once had it actually pop audibly and it was fine after that for a long time. As long as you don't hear or feel a grinding in there it's probably harmless other than an annoyance to you.

This is not professional medical advice, just my layman's opinion.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I was about to tell you that you should smoke your joints and not pop them. Then I read you were talking about knuckles!!!

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Popping joints will not harm them, and the looser a joint is the more prone it is to popping. It's usually caused by bubbles of gas moving around, and sometimes those bubbles (or a misalignment) can cause the joint to catch or hurt until it's been relieved. For most folks it's a harmless habit except to those who are annoyed by it.
    Well that's good to know. :yesway:

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Age, it has happened to me and I am pretty active except when I'm on INGO!
    You might want to try "Trigosamine" which is an over the counter joint medication. It has helped me....BTW I just turned 61.
    A prescribed anti-inflamitory might help......which I'm also taking but thats for a frozen shoulder.
    Good luck.

Last edited:

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Your sternum isn't a joint ( as i'm sure you are aware), however there is lots of cartilage that attach your ribs to your sternum. Is it possible that during a previous workout (or cumulitive) you have damaged the cartilage and its just now showing effect? I don't believe its normal to have pain in this area, and, I would believe that you've somehow injured yourself. You might want to get an X-ray just to figure it out.

I've never been one to crack my knuckles/back/whatever just for the hell of it, and I question the sanity of those who do. However, for most of my adult life, I've had an issue with my neck where it will stiffen up over time to the point where I can't move it without it popping. This has turned into a habitual head-wobble routine that I do to keep it loose. All fine & good, except I cringe at the thought of the damage/wear & tear I must be putting the joints through.

Another one that only comes up with workouts is the popping in my right knee for about the first half-dozen squats... which is why I always warm up without weights, because that **** would probably make me toss the bar if it happened in the middle of weighted squats.

Recently though, a new thing has popped up. I get a pain in my sternum (no, not "chest pains", spare me the lecture and handwringing) to where even doing pushups feels like someone's stabbing me in the chest UNLESS I stretch and arch my back such that my sternum/ribs pop. Once again for the people in the cheap seats: this is distinctly skeletal/muscular, not cardio/pulmonary.

So it makes me wonder... is that just aging, or is there some process or dietary cause that makes this crap happen? Because if I'm going to have to do this new chest routine the way I do my neck, I think I'm going to scream. And does anyone else have this particular issue?

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville

In your case, Fletch, it sounds like you've worked the sternum joints loose (most folks aren't aware that the sternum and rib attachments are joints! and it's causing some discomfort until it gets aligned properly again. It happens to me once in a while. I once had it actually pop audibly and it was fine after that for a long time. As long as you don't hear or feel a grinding in there it's probably harmless other than an annoyance to you.

This is not professional medical advice, just my layman's opinion.
    I'm pretty sure that popping your joints leads to buildup of lactic and uric acid and can lead to things like arthritis.....

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Your sternum isn't a joint

While the sternum isn't a joint, the interface between it and the ribs are joints: the sternocostal joint and costochondral joint. It's what allows us to breath with the intercostal muscles.

When we're doing CPR we often crack those joints because while they don't normally have a lot of articulation, they do have the capability of it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I had the sternum thing many years ago. I had it until I stopped exercising or popping it for a month or so.

I have to pop one elbow, both knees and ankles to keep them from aching... not sure why. It started when I was about 19...

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I pop my joints all the time.

I'm fairly physically active and I have focused on being physicaly flexible since early elementary school. I have always felt better after popping my joints. Everything just feels more "lined up", like it just fits better.

I regularly pop (a few times a day),my back, jaw, knees and ankles. I pop my hips every day or two. Every now and then (once every couple of months), I pop something in my sternum. I think it is the joint between the body of the sternum and my "xiphoid process".

If popping your joints is bad for you, I'll definitely find out here shortly.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    on the chest thing, i got no idea, but popping joints wont hurt your in any way, short or long term. i am only 28 and have had one knee rebuilt and have 2 broken vertabrae in my back, and i pop both knees, wrists, hips and neck daily. A chiroprator cured me of chronic migraines by getting me on a regime of popping my neck, relieving the pressure and increasing range of motion.

blakduglis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    My fingers, knees, ankles, wrists, neck, back and jaw also crack and pop. My dentist told me my jaw cracking was a sign of misalignment and that he could fix it for me so it would not pop. I said no thank you, it feels good when it cracks and I don't have insurance for that! My son is 12 and it sounds like he is going to be popping and cracking just like me.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom