• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    A guy at work is a member and say's he is allway's getting stuff in the mail from them asking for money....

You pay for a membership........ then they just keep asking you for more money... hmmm

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    The NRA comes after you with new information all of the time also as well as asking you to contribute to the Political battles that they fight for us every day. If you do not believe that members of the government do not want to disarm you, you need to look a little harder at their actions.

I am a life member of the NRA and I send them money when I can to help fight the battles.

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have said it on here before and I will say it again- what group does more for our 2A rights than the NRA? The NRA has the most leverage in Washington hands down. You can't win every legislative battle but I believe they are winning the war with our support.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I was a one-year member at one time. I let it lapse, then I saw on here where they had a great deal for a life membership if you were related to a life member. I got in touch with another INGOer who is a lifer and he agreed to "help a brother out"... I got a life membership for about 1/3 the usual cost. During the one-year membership I had, I got LOTS of mail asking me to re-up. I had not heard about opting out at that time. When I got my life membership, I still said nothing about opting out, and as it stands, I get about one letter a year from them, plus my magazine. Totally worth it to me if for nothing more than the insurance on my guns.

I am also on GOA's mailing list and was a member of JPFO. I am thinking about re-joining them.

Blessings,
    Bill

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have said it on here before and I will say it again- what group does more to destroy our 2A rights than the NRA? The NRA has the most leverage in Washington hands down. You can't win every legislative battle but I believe they are winning the war with our support.

Fixed it for you.

Just off the top of my head: 1934 ban. 1964 ban. 1986 ban. 1989 ban. 1994 ban.

Yeah, sure Jim Zumbo doesn't own any guns that were effected by those bans, but I do.

So yes, the nra has done more to ban MY GUNS than any other lobby group in DC.

Bigus: I am a GOA member and I'll occasionally send money to the JPFO as well.

I'd sooner send money to sara brady than the nra. It pains me to think I was once one of the morons touting the joys of the nra. Of course back then I thought the extent of my political responsibilities was a deal on the back window and sending off a check for $25 a year.

Lazy and ignorant... but I got better ;)

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    pretty soon you should get videos that you didn't order that you have to buy or send back
    I cured them of that.
    I sent them a nice little note in the prepaid envelope that by law, I can keep anything that I did not order. I would be keeping their video (which wasn't bad btw). And I would NOT be sending any payment, now or anytime in the future.
    That was about 5 years ago.
    I'm still a member in good standing.
    AND i haven't gotten a single video, book or anything that I didn't order.

I still get tons of junk mail though.:dunno:

JordanN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    I cured them of that.
    I sent them a nice little note in the prepaid envelope that by law, I can keep anything that I did not order. I would be keeping their video (which wasn't bad btw). And I would NOT be sending any payment, now or anytime in the future.
    That was about 5 years ago.
    I'm still a member in good standing.
    AND i haven't gotten a single video, book or anything that I didn't order.

I still get tons of junk mail though.:dunno:
    Yeah, when I got the DVD in the mail, they even said I should "consider it a gift" if I didn't want to send it back. That didn't keep them from sending me more mail later on harassing me for money.

Why should I encourage them to keep sending junk out by sending it back?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My wife got me a lifetime membership a while back. Tons-o-junkmail, a few interesting catalogs (some NRA, other vendors too), and random offers (insurance, etc...). They do beg for money a lot, but that is their business. I don't know what benefits I get, other than knowing I support shooting sports and firearms safety classes.

I need to look into some of these other groups you all mentioned.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Prometheus, what precisely did the NRA do to back the 1994 AWB?

For that matter, how are they responsible for the Bush 1986 executive order?

Last edited:

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    You should get a packet soon. That and lots of junk mail :)

I very rarely get any junk mail, from the time I joined as a annual member or when I raised it to the lifetime...

I hear people complain about all the junk mail.

My membership must be faulty. I've been a life member for 20+ years. I get occasional mail asking for support, but not very often.

BTW, thank you for joining. We need all the members we can to fight this admistration!

My dad, my brother, his brother-in-law, his father-in-law, a few guys at work, none of us get this junk mail people keep talking about.

i get some junk mail but mostly just mail informing you of what is going on and asking for support.

pretty soon you should get videos that you didn't order that you have to buy or send back

I have never once received anything from them I would have to pay for or send back.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    from National Rifle Association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban
    In 2004 the NRA successfully opposed renewal of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban of 1994, which banned many features of certain semiautomatic rifles and certain types of removable magazines, against a campaign to make the ban permanent and expand it. The ban expired at midnight on September 13, 2004.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I'm a member of the GOA and the NRA, the GOA doesn't send me a magazine every month, but they do send a quarterly newsletter, which contains more pertinent information and less BS. NRA sends me tons of junk mail (and emails) and always ask for more money regardless of contributions. GOA doesn't make anywhere near the compromises the NRA does on our 2A rights, and I feel that they are making more effective use of my money as a member. I am more proud to be a member of the GOA than the NRA for that reason. My boss and co-workers in the NRA also receive 2-3 pieces of junk mail weekly from the NRA. I don't doubt that some people don't get junk mail, I don't know why you don't but be glad, it's annoying as can be. Seems wasteful to print ridiculous fliers when they should be fighting off the "Brady Campaign" with your money. :twocents:

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    I rarely get junk mail anymore...regular mail or spam since I opted out on the mailing lists...the decals are handy...I don't get tailgaters NEAR as much as I used to, lol....Hat is nice, I guess, don't really wear hats, would gladly trade it for a tshirt. Magazine is decent, noticed that at least 2 different titles usually have the same articles in the same month's issues...but that's ok now...all coupled with helping to support gun owners....

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Prometheus, what precisely did the NRA do to back the 1994 AWB?
    They insisted a sunset clause be inserted which led to the passage of the bill. It stood no chance of passing without the provision.

For that matter, how are they responsible for the Bush 1986 executive order?
    1986 was the REGAN ban. 1989 was the Bush ban.

The NRA supported both, "evil assault weapons" "machine guns" and all... I've posted the quotes from the then sitting presidents of the NRA and board members at the time.

What's truly ironic about the entire deal is (as everyone who complained about getting the videos has already eluded to) is the victory they claimed when it sunsetted and the money they extorted from people as it drew near.

The NRA is nothing more than a money grubbing whorehouse destroying Rights and getting sportsmans some token privileges along the way.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    They insisted a sunset clause be inserted which led to the passage of the bill. It stood no chance of passing without the provision.

Can you link to some kind of independent political analysis that supports this view of history?

Because the way I remember it, the Democrats + RINOs had the votes to pass the bill and it was going to pass no matter what. The sunset clause was the best the NRA could do given the line up of votes in Congress at the time.

Your contention that the NRA loves gun bans, and worked to support a gun ban by inserting a clause that led to its expiration, is a little bit bizarre.

1986 was the REGAN ban. 1989 was the Bush ban.

I don't remember the details of a Reagan anti gun executive order.

I do remember the events surrounding the Bush executive order. It was the occasion of a major falling out between Bush and the NRA. LaPierre referred to ATF agents as "jackbooted thugs" and Bush resigned his NRA membership. I guess, according to the anti-NRA conspiracy theory view, this was all just public theater arranged for PR purposes, when really Bush and LaPierre were secretly in cahoots, having pre-arranged the whole thing.

Last edited:

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    i joined about 3 months ago, took about 2-3 weeks before I got my membership card in the mail, still waiting to get the magazine that I supposedly get with my membership and my free duffel bag, :banana:
    I do however get a couple gun insurance offers, some readings about new proposed laws and how just donating a single dollar will help keep the NRA fighting for the good of all gun owners, theres been a few other mailings, but no where near a nuisance amount like capital one, whos been mailing me credit card offers everyday in the mail for 5 yrs despite me telling them numerous times to stop sending me stuff so the NRA is fine in my opinion.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom