• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • imp22b

Plinker
    Jul 6, 2011
    Greensburg, IN
    Today (3-16-13) at the 1500 in put in my order for a Johnson safe. Expected delivery in October. I'll update this post with pics / details later.

imp22b

Plinker
    Jul 6, 2011
    Greensburg, IN
    Jeff delivered my safe on 10-17-13 but I'm just getting around to posting this. The safe I choose was a BR-540 in gunmetal color with black trim and dial. I had it placed in my garage due to space constraints in my house. It is on a black rubber horse mat due to water run off I get from my truck in the winter and to prevent rust on the bottom in general. If it was going to be in my house I would have build a pedestal for it to stand on, to keep it off of my carpet (just in case).

I opted for a golden rod de-humidifier. I plan on installing a dehumidistat to control the golden rod and lighting myself later on (wasn't a fan of the lights Jeff uses).

Pros:
    1) Price per Metal thickness and size
    2) Weight (1000lbs)
    3) Fire rating
    4) Custom interior
    5) Warranty
    6) Jeff
    7) Candy (@1500)

Cons:
    1) Door seal is a little looser than I would prefer when locked.
    2) There was a run in the paint on one of the sides
    3) Tek screws (self tapping) are used to attach the pegboard instead of drill & tapping and using normal screws

Overall I am happy with my Johnson and would recommend them to others.

Stryker1025

Plinker
    Mar 15, 2013
    Brownsburg
    Great looking safe, similar to mine in interior, which is plenty of room to grow into, but it fills up fast. I have been thinking of adding a couple light strands in mine recently, what are you looking at for lighting your safe. I have those Jeff uses which work fine, but the bottom selfs don't get much exposure. I was thinking a light strip down each side of the safe just inside where the door seats in would do the trick.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Cons:
    1) Door seal is a little looser than I would prefer when locked.
    2) There was a run in the paint on one of the sides
    3) Tek screws (self tapping) are used to attach the pegboard instead of drill & tapping and using normal screws
    Are those things you can pay a little extra for to have changed or is it not an option?

Since we got the house I've been looking at safes... My two primary criteria are fire resistance and water resistance. Fire resistance as I'm obviously not carrying it outside should there be a fire and water resistance because they obviously put out fire with water... Also - I'd probably put mine in the basement on the concrete floor and, should my sump pump fail, I'd hate to damage my firearms by water leaking into the safe...

dubsac

Master
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Very nice.

As it is in the garage, you might want to consider a platform it get it up off the floor. I built one and then carpeted it. YMMV.
    Curious on this, I considered building something similar with 2/4's but was not sure if that would be the best do to the weight of the safe. Care to elaborate your platform details???

Leo

Grandmaster
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    3 pieces of 2X4 length wise screwed to 3 pieces width wise will hold your safe with no problems. Laying the boards like that will allow air to circulate from any direction under the safe will keep moisture from building up.

imp22b

Plinker
    Jul 6, 2011
    Greensburg, IN
    Great looking safe, similar to mine in interior, which is plenty of room to grow into, but it fills up fast. I have been thinking of adding a couple light strands in mine recently, what are you looking at for lighting your safe. I have those Jeff uses which work fine, but the bottom selfs don't get much exposure. I was thinking a light strip down each side of the safe just inside where the door seats in would do the trick.

I used some Inspire LED light strips from Amazon when I built my reloading bench. I was planning on using them again.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom