• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I read all that along with Elmor Keith and others. Played with a 10 1/2" Ruger and a 357 mag Ruger 5 "1/2. Did a bunch of loading and shooting.

Glad I got that out of my system. My hearing and hands paid the price. If a 9mm won't do it's long gun time.

IN71vet

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    Noble County, IN
    I had a S&W mod 29. It shot ok recoil wasn't to bad but gun just never felt right inmy hand. Found somebody that wanted it soit left the building. Now shooting a Ruger Lipseys NMBH in 44 special is a lot more fun.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    That's how I felt about my guns. Never shot them well and never felt good to me. Don't miss them.

Always wonder if they would have been better (more accurate) shooting specials.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have a 44 mag SS Colt Anaconda, first time my youngest son (49YO) shot it he hit a bullseye at about 50 yd! It is one of, if not the most accurate handgun I own. Purchased it at Tipton GS in the 90's for about $500 as I recall, it was like new in the box! It is well balanced and heavy enough it doesn't beat you up too bad, but my wrist is stiff the next day if I shoot more than 20 or so of full power rounds. Real easy to shoot 44 specials.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have a 25 year old Taurus Model 44. (My first handgun) It has thousands of magnum rds through it. I recently got a trigger job on it so the DA pull was lighter and smoother. Made a world of difference.

When I shot it a lot I was hitting milk jugs at 100 yards. It's an accurate revolver. My eyes are getting bad so long range shots with iron sights is getting harder.

I use to shoot 300gr XTP at 1327 fps avg. 44 magnum can handle hotter loads than these modern books call for.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I read all that along with Elmor Keith and others. Played with a 10 1/2" Ruger and a 357 mag Ruger 5 "1/2. Did a bunch of loading and shooting.

Glad I got that out of my system. My hearing and hands paid the price. If a 9mm won't do it's long gun time.

IIRC, I think I read/heard Elmer only shot about 5 or 6 rounds a day, but every single day. That is one reason why he shot for as long as he did. I'll see if I can dig up the article.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Had three screw SBH. Spent a summer blastng a couple hundred a week. Got pretty decent. Grew up shooting reg Blackhawk .357. Prefer SBH.

Had a few 629s. Reg 6" my fave. Like better than SBH. Reg wood grips doable, but like Hogue rubber better. Reds hand til skin toughens up, even w 180s ( but they were full throttle ).

Arthritis, ears.....

Am dropping down to .357. only hunt now. Think .44 mag better but willing to keep shots 75 yards and less. Proly get the new Python.

Top Bottom