• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    My neighbor is in the market for a jeep so we went looking at a couple today. What we found didn't look too promising to me, but he liked both of them. His budget is about $2k. So....

1st Jeep was a 1980 CJ5, body rust (through in some places) but everything else was A-OK minus the engine. 4" lift with wide stance 32's. The motor was a 304 with serious need of rear and front seals. Soft Top, interior was ok. Fairly clean and everything else looked, ok. Motor rebuild is needed. Didn't get to drive this one because it was leaking oil pretty good.

2nd Jeep was an 84'? CJ7 with the inline 6. some body rust, but was covered by diamond plate. The underside was covered in surface rust, but not big deal. The interior was dirty. And had holes. Mismatch doors, but in ok shape. motor and tranny are strong and sealed, and the 4wd worked good. One motor mount was bad (not a big deal), and the steering had a lot of play. It was upgraded to four wheel disc brakes that work great. Professionally done. Also has 4" lift with 32s.

1500 for the first jeep, 2000 for the second. So, from the description, which one would you rather have? 304 needing a rebuild or the inline six that needs serious interior work and small (steering, motor mount) work?

Just looking for a third, fourth, fifth opinion. I know which one he's considering and he's gonna sleep on it tonight, but I was just curious to what you all thought. Any more questions about the two, let me know.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Go with the in-line 6. He won't be sorry. There isn't a more dependable motor made. I'd rather replace body panels and do interior work than do a rebuild.

My Cherokee Sport has the in-line 6 4.0L. 140,000 miles and it hasn't missed a beat. It uses no oil and the oil pressure is still strong. Nothing takes a beating and lasts like these do. :twocents:

Just curious...how many miles on the 2nd one?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    That's the one he likes too. :) Not sure on the mileage, but it's up there. :dunno: It's sat for the better part of 4 years doing nothing so that's where the rust came from. ;)

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    i have a 04 jeep wrangler with a inline 6...and a 2011 Comander with the V6....the inline is by far the better motor..wish my Comander had the inline 6

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Does it have an oil pressure gauge?

Yea, pressure was pretty high, but was told that's normal. :):

i have a 04 jeep wrangler with a inline 6...and a 2011 Comander with the V6....the inline is by far the better motor..wish my Comander had the inline 6

He's wanting to stay away from electronic crap. He has enough of that with his beast of a diesel. :):

ReSSurrected

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Bloomington
    Not sure which way I'd go, but with the info you've provided, I'd probably take the CJ7, rip the body off, and replace it with a fiberglass tub from Quadratrac, and do an axle flip on it.

If it's going to be used for offroading frequently or anything else that will see high angle operation, the FI is the way to go. It doesn't bat an eye at 50-60 degree angles.

ReSSurrected

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Bloomington
    In that case, I'd still go with the CJ7 since it has more room. If the motor's shot, if it were me, I'd probably look at converting to a SBC. You could pick up a ragged out older full size Blazer with a carb'ed 305 or 350 and the 4X4 trans in decent shape and do the conversion for less than the cost of going thru the 304, and you'd be in much better shape where parts availability is concerned. Buick 231 V6's and Chevy 4.3's are also popular swaps into Jeeps.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Id offer up 1500 for the 2nd one and see what happens. Int parts are very abundant in the aftermarket world. A guy I know bought one in not so hot shape has less than 4 grand in it total and it looks brand new with a 3 inch lift on it!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Id offer up 1500 for the 2nd one and see what happens. Int parts are very abundant in the aftermarket world. A guy I know bought one in not so hot shape has less than 4 grand in it total and it looks brand new with a 3 inch lift on it!

He came down from 2500 to 2000. He's not coming down more and I'd say the CJ7 is worth it. The frame and underbody rust is 90% surface rust. The floor pan is the only thing ate through in places but not bad at all.

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    no worries

He came down from 2500 to 2000. He's not coming down more and I'd say the CJ7 is worth it. The frame and underbody rust is 90% surface rust. The floor pan is the only thing ate through in places but not bad at all.

Those holes are great for rain/water drainage!
    I had a CJ7 with inline 6.. great times ahead for certain.
    Sounds like a good deal. Congratulations.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Those holes are great for rain/water drainage!
    I had a CJ7 with inline 6.. great times ahead for certain.
    Sounds like a good deal. Congratulations.

:laugh: I wish it was for me! :D Nah, it's my neighbor. I just went as an extra set of eyes and a seller-distraction :)

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Go with the in-line 6. He won't be sorry. There isn't a more dependable motor made. I'd rather replace body panels and do interior work than do a rebuild.

My Cherokee Sport has the in-line 6 4.0L. 140,000 miles and it hasn't missed a beat. It uses no oil and the oil pressure is still strong. Nothing takes a beating and lasts like these do. :twocents:

Just curious...how many miles on the 2nd one?
    +1 on the in line 6. It's bulletproof!!
    Our 94 Cherokee has over 186,000 miles on it and it's as strong as the day our son bought it new.
    The only issue with it is that it's a High Output engine and has to have mid-grade gas according to the Owners Manual. I've tried running Regular unleaded in it but it knocks and pings pretty bad.
    Mike

Top Bottom