• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newdumdum9825

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Seymour, IN
    So I've had this Japanese arisaka type 99 for as long as I can remember, it was a battlefield capture off iwo Jima brought back by a relative of mine. My dad ha always told me I'd never get any money out of it. Well when I was at the Indy 1500 the other day I saw something shocking

2 different 99s for about 450 !!!
    Both had the emperor mum ground off and was missing the sling

Mine is original 7.7x58, has the mum still intact and the original leather sling is in great condition.

So I'm curious to about how much I can get.

IF I was to sell it

And IM NOT SELLING IT I REPEAT IM NOT SELLING IT

I just wanna get the idea on how much it's valued

DSCN0458.jpg

DSCN0459.jpg

DSCN0460.jpg

DSCN0461.jpg

DSCN0464.jpg

DSCN0462.jpg

Last edited:

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Go to gunboards and post a description of it along with some pics in the "Firearms of the Rising Sun" section and they will be more than glad to give you a value. There are a lot of variables on Jap rifles.

As for your dad, well he like my dad was probably a gun collector of the 50's and 60's when these could be bought for $5.00-$10.00 dollars all day long. I have a Type 99 sniper rifle ( less scope) all matching my dad paid $13.00 for back in 1963, worth north of $2500.00 now. Remeber back then you could also get an M1 carbine through the NRA for $20.00, ($17.50 for the gun/$2.50 S&H)

soljah777

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Does your 99 bolt serial number match the receiver? Does it have monopod and cleaning rod? All of these items will change the value of your rifle.

FYI the original Type 99 slings are very hard to come by now days and sell for $200-$400 by themselves.

The two 99's at the 1500 you saw were not worth $450. For that price you should be able to locate a nice matching/mum 99 in todays market.

Listen to Miller Tyme and post your information/pics on gunboards/Firearms of the Rising Sun. There are several people on that board who are experts that can tell you exactly what you got and what it may be worth.

newdumdum9825

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Seymour, IN
    All matching, no monopod but it does have the cleaning rod

Yeah when I saw those prices I about crapped myself, ik guns at shows are sold at a higher price than normal (example i saw a mosin m44 for 169, and saw anothet m44 in same condition for 250)

but I kinda figured they wasn't worth 450 with a ground mum

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Newdumdum9825,

If you can try to dig out the bringback papers from your relative!!!

This is very important because without them someday when the rifle is sold the bringback story will be exactly that - a story.

Too many times people with no malice in their hearts would return to the states after the war without bringing anything home with them. At the time they were just thrilled to BE coming home!

So, when they got here and were enroute to home or even shortly after arriving some guys realized they missed having a relic to show off, so they bought one here in the states. A buddy of mine who reenacts WWII told me it was quite common for ex GI;s to purchase a post WWII SS dagger made from parts during the war, just to have a piece of memorabilia of their experience. Later, to impress the nephews or kids down the street, a story was weaved to entertain.

Today collectors know this has happened too many times to count. So the existence of the bringback papers gives positive proof of the weapons history. It also gives the family members a piece of understanding as well.

My friend who reenacts had a father in WWII. He died several years ago. He would really like to know more about his dads service in the war, but when he was younger his father never talked about the war much. Right before he died he started talking about it a bit more but by then it was too late to put together a complete picture. The documents can help fill in some pieces of family understanding of what their relative endured in service to their country and their comrades.

There was also a day and age when military rifles were looked down on. It is absolute horror that I read an article originally published in 1962 and reprinted by the NRA that explains the "glory":crying::crying::crying: of sporterizing these beautiful pieces of history.:xmad: It was honestly believed that they were brought back by the millions and would never be worth a squat. Same goes for the old Springfield M1903s. So do not be surprised by a lot of older gun owners who do not see the beauty or value in an original configuration military rifle. So don't think I am ragging on your dad, I am not. That was just the mentality of a lot of guys from his generation.

They also had the honest problem of getting ammo for these things years ago. EVEN IF it was made it could be impossible to find. No internet, no source at the local gun shop. This just added another reason not to own one of those pieces of junk.

Regarding your particular rifle I am not well read on the Japanese weapons. Here is what I know which is very basic. The year of manufacture is very important. Prior to WWII and right at the beginning the Japanese had good manufacturing capability, so their weapons production was good. As the war progressed their supply chain was disrupted and design changes were necessary to "do more with less." So later war weapons were of lower quality than early war weapons on average.

Some Type 99's had antiaircraft sights, and these were flimsy and often broken. According to Collecting Classic Bolt Action Military Rifles by Paul Scarlata several variations of the Type 99 were made, so the smallest detail on your rifle could be important to its value.

Like Miller Tyme said, go to Gunboards.Com and find the Japanese section. They have a ton of information available for you. Be ready to post a lot of clear pictures of all markings on the receiver and stock. Way too many guys post a blurry pic of a rifle and ask "What is it" you can barely make out the fact that it a bolt action, let alone read a single marking.

Remember to get the rifle appraised as best you can, then talk to your insurance agent about itemizing it on your homeowners or renters insurance. Most insurance has a maximum limit of about $2K on jewelry and firearms versus fire or theft. If it is itemized the company will pay full value of your firearms.

There is probably more I have overlooked by I am sure someone here will pick up where I have dropped the ball.

Good luck on your quest and let us know if you find the bringback papers! It would be neat to find out where your relative served and any info on how the rifle came into your possession.

Regards,

Doug

WWalker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Stopped at Wally-World yesterday and picked up a copy of the Shotgun News Treasury and they a article in there on the Type 99 Arisaka you might find interesting

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Very good answer.

To Newdumdum9825,

If you can try to dig out the bringback papers from your relative!!!

This is very important because without them someday when the rifle is sold the bringback story will be exactly that - a story.

Too many times people with no malice in their hearts would return to the states after the war without bringing anything home with them. At the time they were just thrilled to BE coming home!

So, when they got here and were enroute to home or even shortly after arriving some guys realized they missed having a relic to show off, so they bought one here in the states. A buddy of mine who reenacts WWII told me it was quite common for ex GI;s to purchase a post WWII SS dagger made from parts during the war, just to have a piece of memorabilia of their experience. Later, to impress the nephews or kids down the street, a story was weaved to entertain.

Today collectors know this has happened too many times to count. So the existence of the bringback papers gives positive proof of the weapons history. It also gives the family members a piece of understanding as well.

My friend who reenacts had a father in WWII. He died several years ago. He would really like to know more about his dads service in the war, but when he was younger his father never talked about the war much. Right before he died he started talking about it a bit more but by then it was too late to put together a complete picture. The documents can help fill in some pieces of family understanding of what their relative endured in service to their country and their comrades.

There was also a day and age when military rifles were looked down on. It is absolute horror that I read an article originally published in 1962 and reprinted by the NRA that explains the "glory":crying::crying::crying: of sporterizing these beautiful pieces of history.:xmad: It was honestly believed that they were brought back by the millions and would never be worth a squat. Same goes for the old Springfield M1903s. So do not be surprised by a lot of older gun owners who do not see the beauty or value in an original configuration military rifle. So don't think I am ragging on your dad, I am not. That was just the mentality of a lot of guys from his generation.

They also had the honest problem of getting ammo for these things years ago. EVEN IF it was made it could be impossible to find. No internet, no source at the local gun shop. This just added another reason not to own one of those pieces of junk.

Regarding your particular rifle I am not well read on the Japanese weapons. Here is what I know which is very basic. The year of manufacture is very important. Prior to WWII and right at the beginning the Japanese had good manufacturing capability, so their weapons production was good. As the war progressed their supply chain was disrupted and design changes were necessary to "do more with less." So later war weapons were of lower quality than early war weapons on average.

Some Type 99's had antiaircraft sights, and these were flimsy and often broken. According to Collecting Classic Bolt Action Military Rifles by Paul Scarlata several variations of the Type 99 were made, so the smallest detail on your rifle could be important to its value.

Like Miller Tyme said, go to Gunboards.Com and find the Japanese section. They have a ton of information available for you. Be ready to post a lot of clear pictures of all markings on the receiver and stock. Way too many guys post a blurry pic of a rifle and ask "What is it" you can barely make out the fact that it a bolt action, let alone read a single marking.

Remember to get the rifle appraised as best you can, then talk to your insurance agent about itemizing it on your homeowners or renters insurance. Most insurance has a maximum limit of about $2K on jewelry and firearms versus fire or theft. If it is itemized the company will pay full value of your firearms.

There is probably more I have overlooked by I am sure someone here will pick up where I have dropped the ball.

Good luck on your quest and let us know if you find the bringback papers! It would be neat to find out where your relative served and any info on how the rifle came into your possession.

Regards,

Doug
    Couldn't agree more. Nicely done.

newdumdum9825

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Seymour, IN
    We're lucky o even have the rifle, most stuff was thrown away from his house with no regards to what it was, one of em threw away a papa nambu!!!!!! So bring back papers are gonna be hard to find... But Mine has the AA flip sights and I read an article in Guns magazine once about how a pilot in the pacific would be flying over a colum of japs and the japs wouldn't seek cover, they'd stop and flip up the sights an start shooting lol

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    We're lucky o even have the rifle, most stuff was thrown away from his house with no regards to what it was, one of em threw away a papa nambu!!!!!! So bring back papers are gonna be hard to find... But Mine has the AA flip sights and I read an article in Guns magazine once about how a pilot in the pacific would be flying over a colum of japs and the japs wouldn't seek cover, they'd stop and flip up the sights an start shooting lol

The fact that it still has the mum intact means it came home as a war capture prior to VJ day, since McArthur ordered that all mums be defaced as part of the surrender terms, to help the emperor to "save face"

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    the only downside is 7.7x58 is hard to find and its expensive when u find it... paid $40 for a box of 20 HornadySP

Mike,

You are on INGO where resources are limitless and prices are less than expensive!:D

I have a LOT of ammo links. Here are few w/ access to your caliber.

7.7x58mm Japanese Arisaka | Rifle Ammo | Ammo

Ammo Rifle - 7.7x58 Jap Ammo At Sportsman's Guide

Mac's Guns (mrnambu) Japanase and German militaria (Nambu Arisaka WWII Japanese  German Mauser  98k k98  Japanese T99 T14 T94 T38 nambu, arisaka, mauser, slings, ammunition)

Graf & Sons - 7.7x58 Japanese

7.7x58 Japanese Ammo for Sale Free Shipping | Cheap 7.7x58 Japanese Ammunition in Bulk

Two (2) of the sites do not have the caliber in stock but at least now you can contact them to find out when it will be in.

I would personally recommend MrNambu. Contact him for prices. He used to be about $20 for 20 rounds. His prices may have gone up a bit.

Sportsmans Guide has some in stock for $25.

Good luck with your research!

Regards,

Doug

newdumdum9825

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Seymour, IN
    Mike,

You are on INGO where resources are limitless and prices are less than expensive!:D

I have a LOT of ammo links. Here are few w/ access to your caliber.

7.7x58mm Japanese Arisaka | Rifle Ammo | Ammo

Ammo Rifle - 7.7x58 Jap Ammo At Sportsman's Guide

Mac's Guns (mrnambu) Japanase and German militaria (Nambu Arisaka WWII Japanese* German Mauser* 98k k98* Japanese T99 T14 T94 T38 nambu, arisaka, mauser, slings, ammunition)

Graf & Sons - 7.7x58 Japanese

7.7x58 Japanese Ammo for Sale Free Shipping | Cheap 7.7x58 Japanese Ammunition in Bulk

Two (2) of the sites do not have the caliber in stock but at least now you can contact them to find out when it will be in.

I would personally recommend MrNambu. Contact him for prices. He used to be about $20 for 20 rounds. His prices may have gone up a bit.

Sportsmans Guide has some in stock for $25.

Good luck with your research!

Regards,

Doug

will keep this in mind

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom