• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If you do not have a .22lr then that is what I suggest. You can shoot all day for cheap, easy to stockpile a ton of ammo, and just fun to shoot. :D I have both a semiauto and revolver in .22lr and shoot them more than I ever thought I would. Good luck with your decision.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    It took two years? I want another gun once I get a new one home. ;)

How did you wait 2 years! :D

I'm sayin'! Lately, I've been thinkin' it might not be a good idea to come home!
    It's averaged out to be about one a month since last October.
    The most recent one...I didn't even say anything about...and to the untrained eye "they all look alike". :D

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'd suggest a .22LR. Try a GSG 1911 ... pretty good and you can sgoot all afternoon for less than 20 bucks. :yesway:

I think in the situation you mentioned, I'd do this. 1911 and cheap shooting, with very good INGO reviews. How can you go wrong?

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    After more than 2 years, I want to buy another handgun. Here's my problem: I don't want any particular gun, I just want to buy another one. How stupid is that? :rolleyes:

I really like Glocks and Kimbers, but I refuse to satisfy this itch with another one of those. XDs and Sigs are essentially off the table. As well as revolvers and anything under 9mm. With the exception of perhaps a good .22.

How would you solve this problem?
    How about a nice Browning Buckmark?;)

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    Lots of people are saying .22lr for plinking. Would anybody recommend the Beretta Bobcat in .22lr? I like the tip-up barrel config and I figure it is small enough for pocket carry so that it can serve two purposes - a range plinker and a carry piece of very last resort (.22 in the hand better than .45 at home!).

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The last time I got the itch, I scratched it with a CZ97. That was almost a month ago, so I'm due for another itch. For the most part, I already have the guns I need, so the ones I tend to look at now are the ones that may not be practical, but will be satisfying to shoot. The CZ97 fits that bill. It's on the large side, but it's fun to shoot and as accurate as I can get with a gun.

Sometimes, the itch can be scratched just by rummaging around the gun safe. A new trigger, grips and sights can totally change the feel of a 1911 for a fraction of the cost of a new one. Even pulling out a gun that I had pretty much given up on, getting it to work right and then shooting the crap out of it will sometimes be enough to scratch that itch. For instance, I have a PPK that I hated. It would not feed right no matter what ammo I put through it. I pulled it out and diagnosed the problem as having a very sharp corner on the angle between the feed ramp and chamber. A little 1000 grit sand paper on a stick followed by some polish and it now works just fine. I used to hate that gun, but it's become one of my favorite shooters now at the expense of a bit of sandpaper and piece of dowel.

Sometimes the itch can be scratched for lots less by improving something you already have.

As for scratching the itch with a .22? I did that back in January with a Firestorm 22 (same as a Bersa 22). That gun has been an absolute joy to shoot. The biggest issue I've had with it is that my wife tends to take it over on range trips.

Last edited:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Lots of people are saying .22lr for plinking. Would anybody recommend the Beretta Bobcat in .22lr? I like the tip-up barrel config and I figure it is small enough for pocket carry so that it can serve two purposes - a range plinker and a carry piece of very last resort (.22 in the hand better than .45 at home!).

My wife has the Beretta 21, which is SA/DA. I've got the 950, which is the same size, but is in .25ACP and is SAO. Both have the flip up barrel.

She bought her 21 used, so I have no idea on the history, although it was in good shape when she got it. It's been 100% reliable so far. No failures of any kind, and like my 950, is surprisingly accurate.

The flip-up barrel is a nice feature in my opinion, which comes in handy because the slides on both are, in typical Beretta fashion, VERY stiff. Even as old as my 950 is (I bought mine new when I turned 21), the recoil spring on mine combined with the size of the slide makes it really difficult to manually operate. With the flip-up barrel, you never have to actually rack the slide, and cleaning is a breeze.

Try one out first, because the pistol is SMALL. They are accurate, but impossible to get a "proper" grip with, as only one or two fingers of your strong hand will fit on the grip.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    How did you wait 2 years! :D

I'm a gun snob apparently, and have my needs/wants met with my current collection. It's hard to justify plunking down money for a gun I don't really, really want or need just for the hell of it.

Handguns aren't my fave to shoot anyway, so there's even less motivation.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Handguns aren't my fave to shoot anyway, so there's even less motivation.

Get yourself a dadgum wrist-rocket, then. You don't want to spend unnecessary money and you don't really care for handguns. I can't see any reason to help you decide what to waste your money on. Go to Burger King and pig out.

Top Bottom