• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Science fiction at this point. And false in at least one part of his claims: "The EPIC A3 with SIS-Barrel is the most accurate traditional ammunition shooting system in the world and the only handheld firearm that can hit targets without the need to aim. " He doesn't address HOW the round reaches its target - or how the target is designated - if the weapon hasn't been "aimed." I won't believe it even if I see it myself. (It would be pretty cool, though, if it were true.)

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    So it says that its magnetic and works on every available ammo type. Someone please remind me again which non-ferrous metal in the bullet is magnetic, is it the lead or the copper?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    So it says that its magnetic and works on every available ammo type. Someone please remind me again which non-ferrous metal in the bullet is magnetic, is it the lead or the copper?

Caveat: I didn't look at the link, nor am I making any comment on the claims therein, but any conductive material moving through a magnetic field will develop an electromagnetic response.

Magnetic damping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So a material only needs to be conductive and moving, not ferrous, to be affected by a magnet.

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Oh, cool. Well I learned something. Thanks!

If you own one of the better balance beams for reloading you'll have a large flat aluminum or bass/copper plate on the end of the beam that passes between two magnets. That plate develops a magnetic field when it moves that dampens the movement of the beam. The faster the plate moves the stronger the field and once the beam has stopped moving the plate no longer has a magnetic field so the magnets on the frame don't affect the measurement.

And there's some really cool physics tricks that use the same principle that us nerds can use to impress people :-)

http://regentsprep.org/regents/physics/phys08/clenslaw/

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington

Iron, aluminum, nickel and cobalt all have magnetic properties, thus the ALNICO magnets you find in the typical school lab.

While the concept seems plausible, I suspect the energy requirements make it more than a stand-alone device at this time. If there were a working prototype (not necessarily hand-held), I'm sure DARPA would have taken up the project (though lately it seems they want a working device before getting onboard a project).

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Interesting... it has no real barrel, so no real rifling? While the hi-tech can aim it, there is no way a .50 Cal round will be stable in flight without spinning.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Check out the "Tech Specs" page and scroll down to "Size Comparison".

Now tell me how serious they are. :rolleyes:

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Ever since that ridiculously stupid movie, "Wanted"... :facepalm:

"The Fifth Element" also had a similar firearm (which may be where this guy got the idea), but at least that was a sci-fi fantasy movie.

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    If I had a handheld weapon that had an energy source capable of creating a magnetic field strong enough to change the path of a bullet, I'd just go straight to powering a rail gun or a laser.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Ever since that ridiculously stupid movie, "Wanted"... :facepalm:

"The Fifth Element" also had a similar firearm (which may be where this guy got the idea), but at least that was a sci-fi fantasy movie.

The ever popular repeat button!

Also, "GI Joe II"...because obviously you could react fast enough to change a bullets path in flight in a significant way.

There was also the weapon that Gene Simmons (of KISS fame) used in the movie with Tom Selleck called "Runaway" IIRC. But I think those were more like pistol sized heat seeking missiles that would chase down a specific person when locked on. A number of ideas in that movie were ahead of the curve.

Top Bottom