• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PLANEMECH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Well I have had my FM High Power for over a month and I have to say I never thought I would fall in love with something as much as my Colt 1911. I find myself carrying it more then my Colt or my Glock 17. It feels great in hand and have now started to shoot good with it after figuring out what I did wrong. Thought I would not like 9mm as defence round always liked .40 or above, but do like having 15 or more rounds. Plus as a old surplus gun I dont worry about wear and scratching it like the Colt. So am I sick or has anyone else had this fever?

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Based on the information you've given us, I wouldn't conclude that there is necessarily something wrong with you. However, it is still entirely possible that there is something very wrong with you.

:D

Seriously though, the HP is a very cool gun.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Well, I gotta say that what ever is wrong with you as far as this matter is concerned is most definately wrong with me. I'd been wanting to pick up a High Power for quite awhile but always found myself bringing home another 1911. A couple months ago I had the urge, which quickly turned into the fever when I managed to come up with a little extra cash, to buy another gun. I thought I would try a different flavor and looked around town for a pre-owned High Power in my price range. After a short time I managed to find a real nice post war FN and the rest is history. I decided that it was a little too nice to get all sweaty and scratched up as an EDC so I looked for another one. Well two FEG Hungarians later and I am still looking....................Do I have problem?

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Nothing wrong with you on this note. Your EDC should be something that your not worried about getting scratched or dirty. It's gonna happen, so have a gun your not worried about.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Before my sell off due to various issues: I had several HP clones and copies. There is NOTHING wrong with 9mm (contrary to foolish old men that believe anything outside of their beliefs is rubbish) and NOTHING wrong with the Hi Power.

The Hi Power platform has served countless more nations than the 1911 in their militaries, police and civilian hands. The 9mm cartridge works fine and quoting FerFal from Argentina: "Our police use 9mm FMJ and it kills bad guys like flies". Anything works with enough lead in the right area, 9mm more so than smaller calibers.

HPs offer great ergonomics, accuracy and trigger pull (when tuned correctly). Glocks? Okay, they are nice and reliable, but offer nothing in the looks department, little in tradition and with appropriate magazines in the HP, offers little capacity difference.

Better than a 1911? From a shooter standpoint and IMHO, no. The HP has higher capacity, similar accuracy, and (with a gunsmith that knows what they are doing) can have the same trigger. From a maintenance standpoint, okay, the 1911 wins. More parts available, easier to strip completely (HP has roll pins, the trigger pin can walk if not sized right, the mainspring is a HUGE pain to change out).

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I feel the same way about my Sig P239.....except I still baby it. It is easier to connect the dots for me with a nine and it is reliable .......period.
    Sorry Kimber.....

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    John M Browning had passed away before the High Power was put into production, but he was there to design the gun. Although it was designed differently to not infringe on the patents for the 1911 that Browning had sold to Colt, it is no surprise that another JMB pistol would feel so good in the hand.

PLANEMECH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    I have small to medium hands. Always found some grips on high capacity guns a little big and a long reach for the trigger. So I was surprised to find the HP was not that far off my Colt. Now that I am wiser I agree it's not always the bigger bullet that does the damage but putting the bullet right were it needs to go does. My biggest thing was I once was a die hard .45 man and bad mouth 9mm. But now I own 3 and carry one most of the time now.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    One well placed 22lr will put your lights out, permanently. It's all about shot placement, would you rather get hit with a 22lr or missed with a 44mag?

For me a bobtailed 1911 Commander is the ideal gun, I haven't found anything else that fits me as well. I have a couple Hi Powers too and even though they dont score quite as high as the 1911, they do pretty well.

You'll be fine, I'd worry more about someone who didn't like a Hi Power.

Top Bottom