Is there public horseback riding in northern IN?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    My wife really loves to go horseback riding, but we do not have horses of our own. The only place that she knows of currently in Indiana that has public horseback riding is the park in Brown County. She loves going down to Brown County, but the 3+ hour drive makes for a long day. Is there anywhere in northern or even central Indiana that offers horseback riding to the public?

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Fort Benjamin Harrison in Indianapolis offers horseback riding on trails throughout the park. Google Fort Ben and horse back riding and you will find the site which has the details. We take our daughter out there for pony rides.

Magolin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2012
    Are you trying to find trail riding places? If so, there is riding at Ft Harrison in Indianapolis. It's slightly closer than Brown County. I'd just call around to the State Parks up there and see if they know of anything. I believe there is also a private barn in Brownsburg that will take people on trail rides by appointment. I do not know the name of it, but I can try to find it when I get home.

Otherwise, why not look into some lessons at a local barn? If that's something you're interested in, I can give you some things to look for/questions to ask to find a good place.

jdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    N.E corner
    Pokagon State Park north of Angola has rentals, don't know any details but you could probably look up their website and get more info.

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Great info so far and definitely appreciate it. How do you normally get in touch with local barns? Would I just knock on their door and ask or are there postings at 4-H, etc. events?

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Are you trying to find trail riding places? If so, there is riding at Ft Harrison in Indianapolis. It's slightly closer than Brown County. I'd just call around to the State Parks up there and see if they know of anything. I believe there is also a private barn in Brownsburg that will take people on trail rides by appointment. I do not know the name of it, but I can try to find it when I get home.

Otherwise, why not look into some lessons at a local barn? If that's something you're interested in, I can give you some things to look for/questions to ask to find a good place.

Any information you could provide would be great!

Magolin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2012
    Any information you could provide would be great!

Do a google search for lesson barns in your area. A decent lesson program should be happy to allow you to come watch a lesson before committing to one yourself. Make sure you can deal with their teaching style.

The horses should have pleasant expressions (ears pinned generally nasty looking, you can't mistake a pissy horse). There's often one pissy lesson horse and that is forgivable. I dont want to see a whole barn filled with grumpy horses though.

Ask what the age group is for the bulk of the students. Some adults find it intimidating or obnoxious to ride with a bunch of kids.

Ask the experience of the instructor.

Find a local tack shop (not Tractor Supply, an actual tack shop) they will be a wealth of information on the local horse scene.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Home Page

This is in Cass County (Hour and half approx from "The Fort"). We used to go ride there when my aunt boarded her horses there. Now she has her own setup on the family farm, so we are never there.

Crooked Creek is nice IMO, rates seem reasonable, and when we rode there, the folks there were always great to talk to, friendly, and all around just good to deal with.

Top Bottom