• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Simple Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Kosciusko County
    I'm super new to this forum and guns in general. (I grew up with a bunny-hunting dad. That's my experience)

Recently while watching one of those reality, gun shows on youtube (American Guns?) the owner of the store, before delivering the guns to the customer, told his gun smiths to go ahead and do some things to the brand new, quality, stock guns to get them ready for the customer. It wasn't some customizing, fancy stuff that gets your attention, it was just to go though the gun and, I don't know... improve it? Clean it up? Finish it?

Are "stock", off-the-shelf guns ok? I have a Taurus PT111 g2. Would a gunsmith make it "better" by taking it apart and fiddling with things? (sorry. I know my green-ness must be showing.)

Ed

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    It depends on what your doing with the gun

A GOOD gunsmith can improve on most guns by going threw and cleaning things up. But it may or may not be something your skill level is high enough to notice. Like wise it may or may not be something your purpose requires.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Taking a new gun apart, cleaning, removing the factory protective lube off and relubing properly will usually if not definitely improve a new gun.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Ed -

For the most part, that's true. Most guns can be "tweaked" a little to make them shoot better - this is especially true of triggers. A little trigger work goes a long way. That said, it's not generally for the amateur - and is VERY specific to the gun in question.

You sound like you are off to the right start. Practice , practice and more practice....

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The cheapest trigger job is use! I personally would not touch a gun that doesn't have a issue for the first few thousand rounds. if you are going to have a issue covered by warranty they usually will happen in that time. Then I would look at improvements.

Simple Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Kosciusko County
    So will stuff wear down and affect performance? Or is it like breaking it in? My gun probably isn't of that performance level, I would think.
    Thank you for tolerating my novice musings.
    Ed

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    So will stuff wear down and affect performance? Or is it like breaking it in? My gun probably isn't of that performance level, I would think.
    Thank you for tolerating my novice musings.
    Ed
    It's more like breaking in. The trigger parts are all more than likely going straight from machining into the gun. Putting lots of rounds through it will allow the metal on metal friction of the trigger parts moving, to polish their own contact areas, thus smoothing the trigger out.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom