• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Every time I see these threads, I start missing my old 60s cars all over again.

Simpler times... :(

Touche'
    I will never miss mine 'cause I kept it :rockwoot:
    15 minutes to change plugs + No points - now Pertronix + no computer/blackbox = PRICELESS​

There's also no place to plug in a stupid "Snapshot" for insurance.

View attachment 32612

I'd check fuel filter & ODBII codes first. (EDIT - I see these do not have replaceable fuel filters, they are integral to the pump)
    It sounds like it's harder to start because of fuel pressure leakdown over time.
    Crank or CAM position sensor could be culprit too.

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    some fuel systems will have a check valve in the pump that will leak by and let the fuel pressure bleed off. When that happens it takes a bit for the system to built pressure to start the car.

Best way to check it is put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail, let it sit overnight (or longer, what ever works), and see what your fuel pressure is. Typically fuel injection systems run around 50 psi +/-.

If that is the case, it doesn't mean the pump is bad, and you could live with it for a long time before its fixed.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    See, I don't buy the check valve issue. Nearly every fuel injected car that might have something like that will still have the pump run again at key-ON to repressurize the fuel line/rail.

If you want to entirely eliminate that as a cause, try using a couple of ON-OFF-ON cycles prior to the ON-START cycle. That should ensure that the pump runs a few times and even if all the fuel/pressure from the lines/rail is gone it should have plenty of run-time to repressurize.

Top Bottom