• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcrocket

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    South Side Indy
    If so what is the cost of of the equiment to get started, jus wandering, also I want to know how dangerous it is. I'm interested in relaoding 9mm and 40 cal.

Thanks for your time.
    Rick

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    There are a bunch of good threads on the subject. You might want to do a search. As to cost, it all depends on what equipment you want (speed=money). Right now it is hard to find primers, and some powders. It isn't dangerous as long as you can follow (either read or video) instructions and stick with the loading manual's recommendations. IMHO, you must be a self-disciplined and focused type of person to do it safely and well. I would suggest you buy a good reloading manual, like the Lyman #48 or 49, whichever is current, and read the front of it. After doing that, if you think you might want to load fast, you might want to buy the Dillon 550B video.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    If you stick with a Lee single stage setup, you can have a very, very nice reloading setup for under $250. You can get started for under $100, though that is very basic.

After that, it costs me less than $6 per box of 50 to reload 9mm, .45 ACP, .357 Magnum, and .38 Specials using cast bullets. And the ammo is higher quality than factory ammo.

But, you will probably end up not saving money. Just shooting bunches more :)

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Reloading is worth it.

If you stick with a Lee single stage setup, you can have a very, very nice reloading setup for under $250. You can get started for under $100, though that is very basic.

After that, it costs me less than $6 per box of 50 to reload 9mm, .45 ACP, .357 Magnum, and .38 Specials using cast bullets. And the ammo is higher quality than factory ammo.

But, you will probably end up not saving money. Just shooting bunches more :)

Agreed. You will enjoy the shooting of your own handloads more too. It is satisftying to make ammo in your garage more accurate that what you can purchase and that success is not a given. I have on a few ocassions made ammo that was so inaccurate that it was hard to believe, that is why experimenting with different loads is so important.

I just loaded 150 rounds for my 250 Savage so that my family and I can use it to shoot prairie dogs in Wyoming. I loaded 75 gr. bullets, you cannot buy 75 gr. commercial loads anywhere and 250 Savage ammo of any kind is hard to find thess days. Those are some of advantages to reloading.

Best regards,

Terry :ingo:

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    For me the cost of reloading is not worth the price given the amount that I shoot.

Having the equipment and learning how to reload is PRICELESS.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Every component is costing more these days, but manufactured ammo has increased even more in comparison. And with my son and I both shooting alot of .223, .308 and .45acp reloading is the only way that I can afford to shoot as often and as much as we do.

I figure the savings in every 1K of .308 for the M1As allows me to reload 1K of .223 for the ARs for free..... so thats a pretty substantial savings.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Not, not worth the money in my opinion for what calibers I shoot.

However, the knowledge gained and being able to produce your own ammo is something to behold.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    If so what is the cost of of the equiment to get started, jus wandering, also I want to know how dangerous it is. I'm interested in relaoding 9mm and 40 cal.

Thanks for your time.
    Rick
    I reload using the classic Lee Loader (the kind that you hit with a hammer) and I love it! It is absolutely the least expensive and the slowest way to reload. Most people are going to tell you to avoid the Lee Loader and go straight to a single stage press. Truth is, even I am going to tell you to avoid it because you want to load in more than one caliber. I would suggest you go straight for the Lee Anniversary Kit. MidwayUSA - Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit
    It has just about everything you are going to need to get started. You are also going to need a nice caliper. You can pick that up a harbor freight tools for under $20
    Did you notice I am talking as if you have already decided to try reloading? Go ahead take the plunge. If you don't like it you can part out the Anniversary Kit and probably make more than you paid for it by selling it piece by piece on EBAY.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Price is one thing....the other is availability especially these days. you may not always be able to find ammunition. I used the classic loader for a few years....they do work. But I got tired of seating the primer a little too hard and they would go off.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Price is one thing....the other is availability especially these days. you may not always be able to find ammunition. I used the classic loader for a few years....they do work. But I got tired of seating the primer a little too hard and they would go off.
    I don't pound the primer in. I just use a c clamp. I t works fine!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The best thing that Lee equipment has going for it is that it is cheap. IMHO it is the "KIA" of reloading equipment.

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    lee

Delmar, Look into a lee hand press you will be amazed how easy it is and all you need is a set of dies and shellholder for a caliber swap, with the ram prime that comes with it you can prime everything also. I use mine for everything from 25 acp to 45/70 and can load a hundred in a easy evening of a hour or hour and a half.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've had most of my reloading tools for 30 years, you get a lot of value out of them over time.:)

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Delmar, Look into a lee hand press you will be amazed how easy it is and all you need is a set of dies and shellholder for a caliber swap, with the ram prime that comes with it you can prime everything also. I use mine for everything from 25 acp to 45/70 and can load a hundred in a easy evening of a hour or hour and a half.
    I am enjoying what I'm doing for now, but when I decide to upgrade I will by some version of the Lee Anniversary Kit. I have plenty of room to mount a press on a workbench.
    http://www.google.com/products?hl=e...a=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    I love Lee products! I use many different brands of equipment, RCBS, Redding, Lee, Hornady, Lyman, Bair, Pacific, etc. from 17Rem to 458Win.Mag. And almost all my pistol equipment is Lee.

Is it worth the cost? I say yes! Do you save money, NO. You just get to shoot more for that money.

Honestly I got into reloading for the accuracy aspect. I started loading 308Win for my Mod. 70 about 4yrs ago. I wanted to get as accurate of a load I could with out spending $25+( a lot more now) for factory ammo and larger groups. I didn't go cheap on the dies, RCBS Competition, and shot Berger 175gr VLDs which run about $43 abox now. But I had the satisfaction of tuning the load to my rifle and getting very sub-MOA groups and it all cost me less than $50 per 100rds!:rockwoot:

If you were to figure up a cost for time spent and equipment and consumables then the cost might not be justified, but if the time spent would have been wasted anyway then it is worth it.

EDIT: I had forgotten to add that there is no reason to jump right in and by the most expensive and top of the line stuff, this would not leave any spare cash for the needed goodies like bullets, powder, primers! What is the fun in doing something if you can't upgrade. Yardsales, gunshows, gunshops, and Ebay are wonderful places to get the stuff you need and fairly cheap sometimes.

The very first item you need is a manual!!:yesway: A manual to read through and give you an idea of what you need and what you may want to start with. And after you get started I recommend several Load manuals! Several sources can give you a better place to search for a start load, different Manufacturers offer different loads for different bullets. Yes, Yes, several current manuals are a must!!;)

:ar15:

Last edited:

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    If you were to figure up a cost for time spent and equipment and consumables then the cost might not be justified, but if the time spent would have been wasted anyway then it is worth it.
    True enough. In a related story, if my wife were to figure her time into knitting, my stocking hat would be worth hundreds of dollars!

SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    Without reading the whole thread I have a few of my own opinions. Yes, it is worth the cost. I dont even have my reloader yet, but have been buying up components on backorder and as they are available for a few months. Mind you I have a couple of different loads Im going to go with until I find the most accurate, but even with the cost of everything now it's still worth the time. I do have some gear that I've bought that wont come with the Dillion setup and once I have all of the neccesary stuff it will still save me money in the long run.

And YES, absolutely YES it's dangerous. You have to have patience and attention to detail to make this a safe and enjoyable hobby. If your not one to take your time and check what youve done, this isnt for you.

Top Bottom