Is House GOP Leadership Attaching Obama-Style Gun Control to Nat'l Reciprocity?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    The prison and incarceration system is the problem. Once released, they should have served their time and be granted all of their rights back. Fix the system, you’re focusing on the wrong thing.

Release a person who was convicted of a felony.....then make it impossible for them to get a decent job.....yeah, no **** they’re going to go back to a life of crime :nuts:

And if they can’t be trusted with a firearm.....then they shouldn’t be let out.

Maybe after a set period of time, but given the following I'd say it's a bad idea to legally arm recently released felon:

Bureau of Justice Statistics studies have found high rates of recidivism among released prisoners. One study tracked 404,638 prisoners in 30 states after their release from prison in 2005.[1] The researchers found that:

• Within three years of release, about two-thirds (67.8 percent) of released prisoners were rearrested.
    • Within five years of release, about three-quarters (76.6 percent) of released prisoners were rearrested.
    • Of those prisoners who were rearrested, more than half (56.7 percent) were arrested by the end of the first year.
    • Property offenders were the most likely to be rearrested, with 82.1 percent of released property offenders arrested for a new crime compared with 76.9 percent of drug offenders, 73.6 percent of public order offenders and 71.3 percent of violent offenders.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    In the most basic concept I can understand those who believe that a released felon should have the rights restored after serving their time. However, I don't see states completely overhauling the criminal codes or sentencing structure to keep violent offenders behind bars. Also take into account Judges that are simply weak on crime. However, I can see the need for a fairly simple process that would restore the rights of some convicted felons. As an example a friend of mine was arrested & convicted over 20yrs ago of a drug charge (had more weed than considered "personal use"). He hasn't used or been arrested since, but he constantly struggles with employment because of that conviction. He would really like to also be able to obtain a LTCH and have his right to self defense restored.
    Now on the issue of mental health. I have a stepson that has struggled with some issues for years. Without giving too much info, he has a history of threatening/attempting suicide/threatened to kill others. He has been held in hospitals on immediate detention multiple times. Even though he takes his meds he can be quite unstable at times. The kid has absolutely no business having a gun. I can't think of a situation where I would put a gun in his hands. Now under such circumstances the process of having someone evaluated/adjudicated mentally defective needs to be easier. Now the kid is 19 and I am affraid he might could pass a background check to obtain a LTCH. So lawyers, how can we prevent someone like this from legally gaining access to a gun?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    In the most basic concept I can understand those who believe that a released felon should have the rights restored after serving their time. However, I don't see states completely overhauling the criminal codes or sentencing structure to keep violent offenders behind bars. Also take into account Judges that are simply weak on crime. However, I can see the need for a fairly simple process that would restore the rights of some convicted felons. As an example a friend of mine was arrested & convicted over 20yrs ago of a drug charge (had more weed than considered "personal use"). He hasn't used or been arrested since, but he constantly struggles with employment because of that conviction. He would really like to also be able to obtain a LTCH and have his right to self defense restored.
    Now on the issue of mental health. I have a stepson that has struggled with some issues for years. Without giving too much info, he has a history of threatening/attempting suicide/threatened to kill others. He has been held in hospitals on immediate detention multiple times. Even though he takes his meds he can be quite unstable at times. The kid has absolutely no business having a gun. I can't think of a situation where I would put a gun in his hands. Now under such circumstances the process of having someone evaluated/adjudicated mentally defective needs to be easier. Now the kid is 19 and I am affraid he might could pass a background check to obtain a LTCH. So lawyers, how can we prevent someone like this from legally gaining access to a gun?

This sounds like it could be its own thread TC. While I'm not a lawyer (lawyer joke here) the federal statute (18 USC, 922g) lists "adjudicated as mentally deficient" in the list of prohibited possessors. What we've seen are individuals who were by law prohibited from possessing firearms acquire them legally because the information was not in NICS (churches in South Carolina and Texas). "Fix NICS" could be more correctly titled, "Do your job, provide the information and make sure it is accuarate and updating properly".

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    As least the anti-side will finally be able to stop saying that the NRA has blocked firearm-related studies...

Wayne LaPierre went to see the firearms-related researcher. He offered him $10,000 to stop. The researcher refused. The next day he returned, only this time with Luca Brasi. Wait, that's The Godfather, never mind.

Top Bottom