• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I've been dealing with this for the past couple days - It was a fiber cut in the region... causing issues for much of the Midwest.

Should be resolved "in the next 24 hours", if not already.

The support team (if you could get to them without being disconnected) was still treating it like a local issue to your home, and scheduling unneeded techs out. If you got one scheduled, cancel... unless you just like making them come out for free to fix nothing.

Same here in brown county with newwave...the problems is the lines are overcrowded, the solution is to upgrade/add a line to relieve congestion. Now if they get off their ass and do what they told us they were going to do 9 months ago, we might not have internet issues.

msk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    • CHAT ID: XXXXXX
    • Problem: Download speeds are at .71Mbps download. I had a service call about this recently and they were supposedly changing some box on the pole behind my house. The service worked fine until tonight and is now very slow again.
    • Mario > Hello XXXXX, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is Mario. Please give me one moment to review your information.
    • ME > My Issue: Download speeds are at .71Mbps download. I had a service call about this recently and they were supposedly changing some box on the pole behind my house. The service worked fine until tonight and is now very slow again.
    • Mario > Glad to have your on chat Me! I hope you are doing well.
    • ME > Thanks. I see people all over Indiana are reporting slow connections. What's going on?
    • Mario > You are most welcome.
    • Mario > I will check on what is causing the issue for you.
    • Mario > I understand the importance of having a working Internet Connection, I also rely on my sevice for entertainment and other stuff like paying my bills. You have reach the right department. I am more than willing to help you on this and with your cooperation we may resolve this at the nearest possible time.
    • Mario > Just to set the right expectation, to have your Internet speed fixed, I will be asking some questions and doing troubleshooting steps to isolate problem and provide resolution to it. When all else fails, our next option is to schedule a technician or change the modem to have this problem fixed right away. Would that be alright?
    • ME > That's fine.
    • Mario > That is great!
    • Mario > To protect your account, please verify your account number.
    • ME > XXXXX
    • Mario > Thank you.
    • Mario > Allow me a minute or two to pull up and review your account, please.
    • Mario > Thank you for patiently waiting.
    • ME > This issue isn't affecting me alone. I'm looking at results from other people in my state doing a speed test, and they are all under 1.00 mbps.
    • Mario > May I know when this issue started?
    • Mario > I see, thanks for the info.
    • ME > Today, I'm not sure what time. I got home from work about 3 hours ago and noticed it was slow. I ran the speed test and confirmed then tried calling in.
    • Mario > May I know what troubleshooting steps you have done already?
    • ME > Restarting the computer, the cable modem, etc.
    • Mario > I see, looks like you got a good troubleshooting.
    • Mario > Let me run the signal tests to check the status of the modem. Please give like 2-3 mins.
    • Mario > Thank you for patiently waiting.
    • Mario > I have run the test and the signal is green, means that your connection to the server is stable.
    • Mario > But I can see clearly that your modem is causing the issue.
    • Mario > 1. Your modem is out dated - a Docsis2.0 which you need a D3 or Docsis3.0
    • Mario > 2. Your modem is EOL or End of Life modem.
    • ME > and this changed today?
    • Mario > I am trying to say that you're modem is dying.
    • Mario > It's auto terminal date is 6/2013 please see Cable Devices - Model 5241 DOCSIS 2.0/1.1/1.0 Cable Modem with USB and Ethernet interfaces
    • Mario > Resolution: You need to replace the modem to a D3.
    • Mario > 1. You order the modem via chat or call the hotline for either self-install or prof-install at Comcast Xfinity Hotline Number -1-888-739-1379.
    • Mario > 2. You may visit the local office to swap your modem real time.
    • ME > Mario, if the problem is just my modem, why are people around the state having the same issue? Why did it work fine yesterday but stop working today?
    • Mario > I am not sure of what you mean, they might have a D2 modem like yours. I have check on here and there is no outage in the area.
    • ME > So all D2 modems just slowed down to about 10% speed today?
    • Mario > Yes, that normally happens when the modem is finally giving out.
    • ME > That's not what "end of life" means. That's the date the modem is no longer supported by the company, it doesn't mean the modem is literally dying. If the modem was bad my upload speed would suffer as well. My upload speed is still over 4.5 mbps.
    • Mario > I can see what you mean, so when it is not supported that is tagged to EOL and the modem will slowly lose connection and comcast signal and line will not run through it.
    • ME > Then why can I *upload* at 6.77 mbps? If the issue is the signal not getting through it, upload would suffer too. Mario, I'm a Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator. I'm also Cisco certified. I'm not new at this and your explanation makes no sense. A modem doesn't slowly die over time, it either works or it doesn't. Even if my equipment was faulty, that does not explain why people all over the state suddenly have the exact same problem. Poor download speeds, normal upload speeds. The problem is in your network.
    • Mario > Me, the cut off is not abrupt, I am telling that you need to replace the modem before it loses the signal.
    • ME > When I replace the modem and have the same issue, will Comcast reimburse me since you are telling me my modem is bad?
    • Mario > I am sure that the issue will be resolved.
    • ME > That didn't answer the question.
    • Mario > And if there would be some issues coming from us, we will be more than happy to credit your account.
    • ME > The issue is coming from you. Look at this thread and see the reports from around the state: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/323447-comcast-broke-everywhere-tonight.html
    • ME > I've given you the info you need. Obviously there is an issue on the network and I'm not spending any more time on this. You may want to pass the information up the chain a bit before you start losing customers, though. Good night.
    • Mario > I understand, Orlando has no outage, we got there under chicago which includes part of hearland region.
    • ME > Orlando is 975 miles away from me...
    • ME > Again, good night.

Great read! Thanks for sharing. Haha. I had similar issues in nw Indiana.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    This is just now where I'm at.

3140033776.png

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The problem was most definitely with their network, not your modem, and the front-line support almost certainly wouldn't be aware of it (and would also be trained to deny that it's their problem...) That said, you should absolutely be on a DOCSIS3.0 modem. I suggest taking your old modem to your local Comcast depot and getting it swapped out. Unless you purchased it outright, you're leasing it from Comcast. If they try to charge you for a replacement, you should be able to deny the charge.

I sourced my own modem locally before I switched to cable Internet. My regular speeds are 30 down and 10 up. I'm fine with my old modem.

Beorn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The problem was most definitely with their network, not your modem, and the front-line support almost certainly wouldn't be aware of it (and would also be trained to deny that it's their problem...) That said, you should absolutely be on a DOCSIS3.0 modem. I suggest taking your old modem to your local Comcast depot and getting it swapped out. Unless you purchased it outright, you're leasing it from Comcast. If they try to charge you for a replacement, you should be able to deny the charge.

Yes^
    BehindBlueI's if you have subscribed/upgraded to a higher tier internet speed, you'll need to upgrade your modem to a Docsis3 to take advantage of that speed. Otherwise that CS agent was full of it blaming your equipment.

I've been dealing with this for the past couple days - It was a fiber cut in the region... causing issues for much of the Midwest.

Should be resolved "in the next 24 hours", if not already.

The support team (if you could get to them without being disconnected) was still treating it like a local issue to your home, and scheduling unneeded techs out. If you got one scheduled, cancel... unless you just like making them come out for free to fix nothing.

I work for a different cable provider here in central Indiana. We had a major outage once due to some jactard thinking it would be fun to shoot some overhead lines.... The line he hit happened to be fiber optic which is bad news for a lot of people.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I sourced my own modem locally before I switched to cable Internet. My regular speeds are 30 down and 10 up. I'm fine with my old modem.

Yep. 1.0 and 2.0 modems support up to 42mb/sec according to the standard. Its not until you clear the ~40mb mark that you MUST go to 3.0. Until then, carry on with your old equipment. (barring carrier shenanigans that is)

DOCSIS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I have found that it's cheaper over the course of a year to buy your own cable modem vs leasing one by $30-50 a year...plus you don't end up with the company's cookie cutter propitiatory garbage hardware.

ATT is the worse when it comes to propitiatory hardware, I hate 2wire with a passion.

msk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Can you use your own cable modem with comcast? I only have them for Internet. I would love to stop paying the $6/mo rental charges.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I just got off of a hour+ phone call with comcast to restore my service which was disuonnected "due to non-payment"... The balance on my account is $0.00, I'm not sure how to pay that.

At one point the guy, who as far as I could understand was named "Jello", actually said "sir, we apologize for the inconvenience, Comcast is currently updating the internet".

The "fun" part, if there was one, was making him stay on the line until my service was restored. As long as you aren't abusive, they're not allowed to hang up on you.

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    Does comcast ever really work right? Moved to fiber and love it, but I still have to deal with comcast for work. Plus Time Warner, Verizon, ATT, NewWave, you name it. Good times every time too!

Top Bottom