• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZS84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Columbus
    If a 12 gauge was your only gun why would you have 9mm ammo?

It was stated that this is with the long term SHTF situation in mind. This, as with the 22, gives you more options of ammo that you can use. Although common you may not always be able to find 12 gauge ammo but you may run across some 9mm or 22LR which are also common.

ryan3326

Marksman
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Indiana
    If a 12 gauge was your only gun why would you have 9mm ammo? Also a single shot 12 gauge has to be pretty low on my choice of self defense guns. For the amount of money you have in this you can have a used 10/22 with a 25 round mag that could still kill most any animal in Indiana with good shot placement and IMO a better tool in a self defense situation.

I guess I am not making my point very good. I am trying to say that having one gun that can effectively shoot 12g, 9mm (and .45, .357 and .22 with other adapters) AND be useful with homemade or commercially produced black powder would certainly have a place in a long term survival scenario. You never know in that scenario what sort of ammo you might have to scavenge. Chances are this setup could make use of it.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    It is also ...

... a pretty good grenade launcher, if you have any flares. Last-ditch effort, of course. A 12-ga. flare lights up a pretty good bonfire if you have a prepped site. Back "in the day" some bonfires were lit from the cabooses of freight-trains on their way to Pullman Yard near Chicago! We could carry there at the time. THIS PROJECT ALONE IS WORTH THE PRICE OF MY SUBSCRIPTION! EBG

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Looks pretty well thought out, and like you had a lot of fun doing it. I'm not a SHTF shotgun guy, but I can appreciate all the thought that went into this. It truely is a versatile single shot.

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    If a 12 gauge was your only gun why would you have 9mm ammo? Also a single shot 12 gauge has to be pretty low on my choice of self defense guns. For the amount of money you have in this you can have a used 10/22 with a 25 round mag that could still kill most any animal in Indiana with good shot placement and IMO a better tool in a self defense situation.

The point is not that the 12ga is better, it's that it's more versatile. You have a break open 12ga, a muzzle loader, and a 9mm in one package. With a 10/22 once the .22s run out you're screwed. You can't muzzle load a .22 and you can't fire anything else out of it.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Yes a 22lr may only ever be a 22lr, but for the space that takes up two boxes of shotgun shells totalling 50 rounds, you can have two boxes of 550 totaling 1100 rounds of ammo. I have nothing against the shotgun, but for the reason I just mentioned I'll take my 10-22 every time.

indianafly

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Very cool idea! I would like to see what kind of accuracy you get out of the 9mm. Let us know if you take it out to the range.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Perhaps I missed this info somewhere, but my question(s) are~ How do you retain any bullet accuracy or keep the host 12ga. barrel from projectile damage when shooting a centerfire [or even a rimfire cartridge for the matter] with one of these adapters? Is there a long barrel insert as well as for the chamber??

Well I don't think a .22 or 9MM is faster/heavier than what you are already shooting out of a 12ga, or most likely not enough to cause damage. 00BK is many pellets of lead that have a weight and velocity very close to a 9mm. :dunno:

Now if you try a .223 or .308 adapter you might blow something up. But most handgun rounds probably wouldn't be too big an issue.

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    I love the idea. Right now my survival set up is a horde of 10k+ rounds of .22 with a .22 conversion bolt, and a couple thousand rounds of .223 with my AR. I also keep spare firing pins, a bore snake, a dropper of CLP, and batteries for my red dot, and flashlight in the grip just in case. Also thought about getting a .410 upper, and stashing it in an ammo can with a bunch of slugs, and shot shells.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Ok I know this is kind of an old thread but it gave me an idea.

Im now thinking about buying a Stoeger Uplander SXS to do this to. I would put the adapter into one barrel and leave the other barrel as a 12ga. Then I could bore a hole into the stock to keep another adapter tube (maybe .45 colt or .357) or the 9mm tube when not in use.

Thoughts?

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Cool project. I'm working on modifying a piece of crap sks I picked up with a broken stock. Once it's finished I'll post it up for you 'gents.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    That 9mm adapter is very cool ... but I'm wondering how well you can actually hit anything with it, in a shotgun with just a bead. Natural reaction is going to be to shoot very high without a proper front sight.

Rabbit at 20 yards? I would love to see it done.

Top Bottom