• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    I have an Idea, that we all could post our interesting hunting tips here. If it becomes super popular, maybe it can become a sticky. I am not talking about the major things, just neat little details that maybe someone else hasn't thought of.

I put the cartridges for my 44 Mag in the used plastic shell holders that my Remington Core Lokt 32 Special rounds come in. They hold them just perfectly enough that they don't rattle and the holder can be snapped apart to fit nice and flat in a hunting pack. I would assume one could probably use similar sized rifle round holders like the 30-30 for instance, as long as the cartridge fits snugly enough to stop the rattles.

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I have heard that placing a 20 gauge shotgun hull in a 12 gauge shotgun hull provides a nice waterproof container which is just about perfect for holding matches in your hunting pack.

rhino400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Delaware County
    I have heard that placing a 20 gauge shotgun hull in a 12 gauge shotgun hull provides a nice waterproof container which is just about perfect for holding matches in your hunting pack.

I actually do this but I use a 20 gauge hull and a 16 gauge hull for a tighter fit. Just load it up with strike anywhere matches and your good to go.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    After deciding on a new spot for deer season I always use trail tacks (glow in dark) to mark my path so my flashlight hits em in the dark when I am trying to find my way to the spot in the wee hours of the morning! They are sold at most department store hunting supply sections. I just stick em in trees a little higher than head high, no expensive GPS needed;)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i put a condom on the end of my muzzleloader barrel to keep out moister in the rain. just black tape it on and ripp the condom when time to shoot.

i also tape a chart of my drop on the side of my stock

when setting a ladder stand put a few small (4 inch) limbs under the first step on the ladder. somtimes with time they settle un evenly and the ladder makes a loisy pop when you get 1/2 way up the ladder. the 2 limbs dont let the ladder settle completly so it settles on the limbs evener and reduces sound

for shed hunting dump some corn (or anything deer will eat) right in the corner of a fence or make a corner with gates. when the buck eats the corn it will get its rack hung up in the gates and if they are about to fall it pulls them off and makes them easier to find

Last edited:

gus1989

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    for shed hunting dump some corn (or anything deer will eat) right in the corner of a fence or make a corner with gates. when the buck eats the corn it will get its rack hung up in the gates and if they are about to fall it pulls them off and makes them easier to find

That is a good idea. I'll have to try it.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    I know a couple of guys that fill the tubes of their deer stands with aerosol expanding foam. Says it helps to deaden the noise. We had an old jon boat that was lined with the foam insulation board for the same purpose.

Also, make sure to not get the chains or cables stuck if you try that on your stand. One Feller can't adjust one side of his to fit the tree.

rhino400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Delaware County
    One thing I have done on several occasions is run to my treestand. In several of my hunting spots its almost impossible to not spook deer walking in. I have found that if I run flat out to my stand the deer seem to think it is just another deer running through the woods.

Cbarnett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Earth
    I pack my warm outer layer clothing in a backpack when hiking to my spot. I won't put it on until I'm in the stand and feel dry.

I sweat a lot and the moisture seems to make me get cold faster.

Cbarnett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Earth
    Instead of Paying a lot of money to get scent free hunting soap - Use "ALL" brand "Free and Clear" detergent. No dyes, No perfumes, No preservatives. Its really cheap!

Then, take your clothes out of the wash, put them in trash bags with Baking Soda. This keeps the oders out - and I always find the deer stopping to lick everything my clothes brushed up against when they cross my trail. :dunno:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I always wash everything in the non-scent soap stuff, but when I put it in the trash bags I throw a bunch of leaves in. I usually leave all my bags out in the garage until opening morning, but then I put the bags in the house the night before so it's not freezing and I put everything in the dryer for a quick shot of heat before I leave.

PaPa 260

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    When I return home from hunting with a muzzleloader I never bring it in the house to draw moisture. I leave it hanging in my locked detached garage with no cap on the nipple. After finishing hunting for the weekend, I dischage the rifle, clean it and put it away. I have never had one fail to go off.

PaPa 260

IndianaWoodsman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    East Central
    Especially in Archery, instead of crouching low to stalk, get down on all fours and hug the brush. The deer don't recognize you as a 'verticle' human threat.

And ALWAYS avoid eye contact with the hunted. Make eye contact and they spook.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    Instead of Paying a lot of money to get scent free hunting soap - Use "ALL" brand "Free and Clear" detergent. No dyes, No perfumes, No preservatives. Its really cheap!

Then, take your clothes out of the wash, put them in trash bags with Baking Soda. This keeps the oders out - and I always find the deer stopping to lick everything my clothes brushed up against when they cross my trail. :dunno:

I am assuming you pour some over the clothes, as the corner of the box could puncture the bag. Is this correct.

Cbarnett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Earth
    I am assuming you pour some over the clothes, as the corner of the box could puncture the bag. Is this correct.

Yes, I dump it out over the clothes. Then I close up the bag and give it a good shake to distribute it all over the clothes.

Top Bottom