• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I am definitely certifiable,:D I am not too sure of all the rules, I do understand the scoring

I think a bunch of folks are willing to help in anyway that they can .
    I for one wasn't sure what training / qualifications one needed in order to start doing this . I bet some others were the in the same boat.
    This thread has cleared up a bunch of that.
    I still think I need a little training to be comfortable. I know enough to know I don't know much, Ive only been doing this for about a year:dunno:

I'm with you there. We have "ran" our RO's enough that we know the commands, just not all the rules

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    This is true. Even at things like Friday Night Steel it would be nice to get some more people to step-up and volunteer to RO. I've RO'd FNS since almost the beginning and sometimes it does get a bit old. You really are doing a service to others by volunteering your time to RO and it truly is appreciated. :twocents:

While I understand that, I'm not stepping up an putting myself in to a position of responsibility until I have been properly trained. Mostly for legal and safety reasons.

On the other hand, I will be glad to help out once I become a certified RO, which is why I started this thread in the first place. ;)

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I am in the process of emailing back and forth with Gary Stevens about putting on a class.
    Think Sept 11-12th, Greencastle, IN........
    Nothing is set up yet, but leaning in that direction

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm with you there. We have "ran" our RO's enough that we know the commands, just not all the rules

IMO, you don't need to know all of the rules for club matches. You do need to know some basics, and most of those have to do with scoring. The other handy ones to know is when a reshoot should or must be granted, but that is rare.

The biggest part of the job is making sure that you're aware of where the loaded gun is in your bay, that the muzzle of that gun is pointed down range at all times, and that all rounds from that gun are hitting the berm. If they are not, the person you're looking at is done for the day.

Being an RO, running a timer, is a great way to learn about the sport. If you have an experienced RO on your squad, just ask if you can run a shooter or two. I wouldn't wait until the NROI class to give this a try. Being an RO is a lot more than a class and an exam (although they are helpful). It isn't as big of a deal as it seems. If you know what your responsibilities are as a shooter, all you're doing is making sure that the shooter doesn't forget.

But then again, what do I know? I've never been certified. But, I have a pretty good number of hours running a timer and keeping everyone safe. YMMV.

Top Bottom