Installed a new (to me) FSB on my M44.... concerns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I installed a new FSB on my Mosin Nagant M44 tonight with the help of a friend. Let me tell you this thing was a bear to get on. We cleaned up the end of the rifle, and the inside bore of the FSB. Then we had to heat up the FSB with some MAP gas till it was just starting to turn red. The FSB slipped on until it was flush with the end of the barrel, so the last 1/2 " we had to heat it and drive it on with a 1/2" brass punch and a hammer.

I do this kind of stuff fairly routinely at work, and on a much larger scale, but being that this is a rifle, Im just worried that all that heat may hurt something. :dunno:

Would anyone here have any concerns about it?? Im going shooting tomorrow it looks like, and Im just debating on whether to take the Mosin or not. Thoughts?

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    May I ask what you mean by FSB? Pardon my ignorance, but I am not well versed in attachments as they pertain to classic bolt actions. Im assuming its a front sight base. In this case, as long as the barrel hasnt been heated excessively, you are good to go. If its a muzzlebreak or flash hider, take it off. Those puppies have been known to fly off while shooting and can be dangerous.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    May I ask what you mean by FSB? Pardon my ignorance, but I am not well versed in attachments as they pertain to classic bolt actions. Im assuming its a front sight base. In this case, as long as the barrel hasnt been heated excessively, you are good to go. If its a muzzlebreak or flash hider, take it off. Those puppies have been known to fly off while shooting and can be dangerous.

Front Sight Block/Base :rockwoot:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    If its a muzzlebreak or flash hider, take it off. Those puppies have been known to fly off while shooting and can be dangerous.

Tell me about it....... why do you think I have to replace the FSB! ;)

never again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Haha I though I read a post to that effect around here! I figured it was a front sight block based on what I know about AKs and such. As long as the barrel wasn't over heated I say you are good to go.

Top Bottom