• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    ok, I asked the wifey if she was interested and she said it sounds like fun! SO, now what do you guys think of taking my 3 year old? Im guessing its no big deal as long as I have something that he can float in (duh). I think he would have a blast, but Im also thinking it might be a good idea to leave him at home. Hell, I need to find something for me and the wifey to take. Suggestions on any of this?

thanks,
    clay

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    ok, I asked the wifey if she was interested and she said it sounds like fun! SO, now what do you guys think of taking my 3 year old? Im guessing its no big deal as long as I have something that he can float in (duh). I think he would have a blast, but Im also thinking it might be a good idea to leave him at home. Hell, I need to find something for me and the wifey to take. Suggestions on any of this?

thanks,
    clay

Depending on the water depth he'd be able to go... When we first started out the waves were crashing over the tops of all our kayaks and there wasn't much controlling anything (thanks to all the rain we had lately), you went where the river wanted to take you. There was a couple areas where the water was also pretty fast and we had to get out and pull our kayaks through because becuase it was too shallow to paddle accross. There is one area that is a good 10' deep near Turkey Run also. He'd have fun but I would check the water levels first. And yes, boredom will definetly be an issue in a few areas as the water slows down.

Last edited:

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008

thanks,
    clay

Also keep in mind that this trip will take at the very least 5 hours if the water is moving as fast as it did yesterday. If the water level is low and slow it will take a few hours more. I would prolly leave him at home for this one unless he is a patient kid. :dunno:

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    I would advise against it as well. The current takes full consideration at some points, and in the slow areas, boredom is sure to set in, which will cause issues too.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    this is why I asked!! :) Thanks for the info guys! He can be patient, but he is definitely my kid.... and patients isn't one of my strong points most of the time ;) Looks like we will see if Grandma can watch him for a while.

thanks,
    clay

barber613

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Kokomo
    If you've never been to TR or Shades, you don't know what you're missing. Canoed Sugar creek last summer, and had a great time. We put in at Shades and came out at Cox Ford bridge, took about 4 hours. They were a hard paddling hours also.

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    there was a good current yesterday and we only had to paddle "hard" when the wind picked up in the wide spots.

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I'll say the last mile or two, past Turkey Run where the water was much wider and deeper, we had to paddle pretty hard to get going. The other 12 miles we floated along just fine with a little paddling here and there to dodge rocks and trees. Unless you count that first 20 ft where "some of us" (Joe "titanic" Harmon) wanted to be a tree hugger and jump out of his kayak and grab ahold of a tree for dear life! Hahahaha

:stretcher:

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    yeah, but look he showed us all up by "walking on water" later the same day.
    maybe the tree issue was to throw us off. ;)

DSCN4037.jpg

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I would join you if I weren't working that day. I lost track of my trips down Sugar Creek long ago. Maybe next time. Have fun!

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Unless you count that first 20 ft where "some of us" (Joe "titanic" Harmon) wanted to be a tree hugger and jump out of his kayak and grab ahold of a tree for dear life! Hahahaha

:stretcher:

Dave, I'll thank you to point out that I did not "jump" out of the canoe as you say. Rather, the creek attempted to steal my kayak by using a fallen tree to knock me out of the boat and pin me underwater with another branch. If I had my G23 out when the creek attempted that boat-jacking it would have been a different ending. :ar15:

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Dave, I'll thank you to point out that I did not "jump" out of the canoe as you say. Rather, the creek attempted to steal my kayak by using a fallen tree to knock me out of the boat and pin me underwater with another branch. If I had my G23 out when the creek attempted that boat-jacking it would have been a different ending. :ar15:

No this is actually more like it... although it may sink a little easier

kayak50cal.jpg

Last edited:

Catfish33

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Clifford, In
    Gonna try and make this trip with you guys. Here is a pic of my toys. The canoe in the foreground is in the process of being repaired. Since this pic was taken I have added bow rigging and a Hatch on my Perception (Red). We go every chance we get. Mainly kayak The Mighty FlatRock River. LOL
    DSC00012.jpg

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    nice boats.
    the scout trip surely helped me find out what i was missing in my kayaking "needs"

what is that red boat. i know its a percep, but the actual model and lenght?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom