• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    I remember the parking lot last time I went, trucks were getting stuck in the mud left and right. It was quite a mess out there!

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I remember the parking lot last time I went, trucks were getting stuck in the mud left and right. It was quite a mess out there!

Yeah if it rains more then a light sprinkle for a few minutes you will hate life..........

I got to park in the voulenteer area and it was lower then the road to the ramp...... you had to drive around the rivers......

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'm kinda mad about it. The website has indicated, and history has proven this to be true, that the event takes place rain or shine. And it wasn't until we got home just before 1pm that the website was changed to indicate that weather was the cause for the cancellation.

This was poorly handled. They had NO ONE at the gate preventing people from turning in and this was at NOON. No signs, no barricades.

If they don't like the parking arrangements in inclement weather, then find a new venue.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    buy a 37 mike mike launcher and get some bang bang for your buck, and create your own air show.

+ disclaimer for retarded people: NO im not talking about launching them at anything except up in the air. you may now return to your moms basement.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I'm kinda mad about it. The website has indicated, and history has proven this to be true, that the event takes place rain or shine. And it wasn't until we got home just before 1pm that the website was changed to indicate that weather was the cause for the cancellation.

This was poorly handled. They had NO ONE at the gate preventing people from turning in and this was at NOON. No signs, no barricades.

If they don't like the parking arrangements in inclement weather, then find a new venue.

There is no other airport that could really handle that show in the area if you ask me. There has really never been anyone and the gate and most people ignoore the gate people when they are there (been there done that job).

The last one I worked it rained the night before..... it is like a race... they wait till the last second to cancel in hopes that the weather will clear... If they had cancled it earlier and then the weather cleared people would still get just as mad.

To legit air show will fly in the rain... when it is like it is today..... it is asking for someone or people to get killed.

Also remember people like me that are out there moving runing aircraft around...... it is very dangerous and not fun moving them around in the rain when the engines and props are blasting all that mist and water around and it is then much harder for th epilots to see people and objects on the ground and people get hurt.

I do agree that something on the parking needs to be done (at least fill in the low areas and fix drainage and put up signs or something when it is cancled...

If they get their wish and get to be names a regional airport then maybe they will get the funding to do all that????

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    heres a tissue Dave :)

I need one haha, I got so tires of all the people that complained at that show......... a "black" tank round does not get fully breached and seriously hurts people at the end of the show..... we are setting up an LZ for lifeline and people complain because they have to turn around and walk the other direction to leave............... sigh... all well :D

I got my revenge blasting people with jet wash:laugh::rockwoot:

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I've been to airshows where it rained and they continued to fly. The weather we've had the last couple days had a lot of lightning with it.

Was it with dense/low clouds like it was today? It's not allways the rain that does it as much as it is the ceiling.

As a rule just because there is no or not much lightning does not mean it will come when it comes to areas that are primce conditions for strikes....

Airplanes are lightning strike magnents.......

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I need one haha, I got so tires of all the people that complained at that show......... a "black" tank round does not get fully breached and seriously hurts people at the end of the show..... we are setting up an LZ for lifeline and people complain because they have to turn around and walk the other direction to leave............... sigh... all well :D

I got my revenge blasting people with jet wash:laugh::rockwoot:

I remember that, two years ago a replica Tiger tank had a round cook off. From what I heard happened was that it was a misfire and the loader opened the breach to early and as soon as he opened it, off she went.

I was already leaving the lot when this happened, so I was not one of the yaahoo's causing problems.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Was it with dense/low clouds like it was today? It's not allways the rain that does it as much as it is the ceiling.

As a rule just because there is no or not much lightning does not mean it will come when it comes to areas that are primce conditions for strikes....

Airplanes are lightning strike magnents.......

I hadn't been out today. When I worked the flight line in the Navy we flew all the time except when there was a possibility of lightning. The planes and pilots themselves are ok but anybody near them could be toast. Hopefully it will clear up for tomorrow. I'd like to see the Horseman. :yesway:

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I hadn't been out today. When I worked the flight line in the Navy we flew all the time except when there was a possibility of lightning. The planes and pilots themselves are ok but anybody near them could be toast. Hopefully it will clear up for tomorrow. I'd like to see the Horseman. :yesway:

Agreed.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    There is no other airport that could really handle that show in the area if you ask me.
    It was sarcasm. The implication being either accept what you've got or call it off period (ETA: as in, like, forever). If there's no real viable alternative and you can't guarantee admittance to people who have purchased tickets, you're a douche. Just my humble opinion though.
    There has really never been anyone and the gate and most people ignoore the gate people when they are there (been there done that job).
    You missed my point. There was no one to let people know before they actually turned into the property that the event was canceled. They should have had someone sitting out blocking the entrance.

The last one I worked it rained the night before..... it is like a race... they wait till the last second to cancel in hopes that the weather will clear... If they had cancled it earlier and then the weather cleared people would still get just as mad.

To legit air show will fly in the rain... when it is like it is today..... it is asking for someone or people to get killed.

Also remember people like me that are out there moving runing aircraft around...... it is very dangerous and not fun moving them around in the rain when the engines and props are blasting all that mist and water around and it is then much harder for th epilots to see people and objects on the ground and people get hurt.

I do agree that something on the parking needs to be done (at least fill in the low areas and fix drainage and put up signs or something when it is cancled...

If they get their wish and get to be names a regional airport then maybe they will get the funding to do all that????
    There's a difference between canceling FLIGHTS and canceling the whole damn show.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    It was sarcasm. The implication being either accept what you've got or call it off period (ETA: as in, like, forever). If there's no real viable alternative and you can't guarantee admittance to people who have purchased tickets, you're a douche. Just my humble opinion though.
    You missed my point. There was no one to let people know before they actually turned into the property that the event was canceled. They should have had someone sitting out blocking the entrance.

There's a difference between canceling FLIGHTS and canceling the whole damn show.

I agree that at least a sign saying that it was cancled is a nice thing to do. I think most go to the shows to see the planes turning and burning..... not the ones that just fly low over the runway back and forth a few times like some of the warbirds do.

I was just trying to say that they could have cancled and waited all day to cancled and people would complain that it was not axed sooner.... or they could have cancled early and then have the weather clear and people get mad about that...

Again I do agree that they at least should have had a sign or people standing in the road to the airport to turn people away...... granted there would still be people mad that they drove out there only to have to come back.

The years that I worked it we all figured out quick that communications is non existant...... a lot of cheifs and a few Indians...... some were on power trips...... well a lot of people were/I am sure still are and everyone wants to do it their way......

We would even get all the planes in their assigned spots and then some clown would come up on their golf cart and say that they want a plane in another spot (we would laugh)... or the best one the Red Bull Mig that came and wanted and ended up getting his own special parking area and then roped it off himself.......

It's what happens when you get people working an event for free..... to many people end up thinking they are in charge....

It could be a much better show..... even a Dayton level show if something happend to improve management and communication not to mention team work.

A lot of times things were not though of or forgotten about...... chances are someone was told to go to the end of the road and tell people and they did not want to be out in the rain or never did...... or nobody thought to do it...... I saw it happen more times then I could count to be honest.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    We've decided to scrub the airshow tomorrow and just head over to the USAF museum in Dayton. Even if it doesn't rain tomorrow, it's going to be hot/muggy as hell, and the parking areas are going to be a friggin' mud pit with the rain we're getting right now.

Plus, I just found out that an event I had on the calendar for next month has been canceled, which will free me up to go to the Dayton Airshow where the Blue Angels will be performing, in addition to many of the acts that were scheduled for Mt. Comfort. :yesway:

Top Bottom