• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dakota

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Hagerstown
    I did an instant check today on a firearm for a person who I have sold other guns to, he's my neighbor and I've known him for several years. I know that this person has no reason to be turned down for a gun purchase but when I did the instant check it came back "delayed". According to them I need to wait 3 days before transferring the gun to him if I haven't heard from them in that time.
    Since he and I know of no reason for this I came to the conclusion that it's a subtle way to restrict guns sales. The Indy 1500 is going on right now and I asked this person if they would buy this if they received a "delayed" response the the INDY 1500 and his response was NO! I'm thinking they're doing this as a way to restrict sales as anyone traveling quite a ways to a gun show probably doesn't want to return to the place of business after 3 days to pick up their gun, so therefore they just don't buy it.

What do the rest of you think? I know this person is ok to buy so I'm thinking this is the only reasonable explanation for it. I'm sure there would be no way to every get it verified as all in power would deny it but I'd like to know what others think of it.

TIA,
    Steve

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I got "delayed" once. I think the system was just backed up. The next day they call and told me to come and get it. It was november 10, 1999. I bet lots of gun sales going on then since hunting season was starting.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    What you say makes sense to me. I watched a buddy of mine with an LTCH try to by a rifle at a the Booneville gun show a few months ago and he was delayed. Luckily the guy at the show was local and he got his gun a few days later.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    It wouldn't surprise me, but I have found that purchases made during the day on weekdays, are far less likely to be delayed than those made on weekends. I have made all of my purchases on either thursday evening, or Friday morning when the shop first opens, and have never been delayed. My brother in law however, usually buys on Friday evenings or Saturday, and has been delayed several times. I think it's just a matter of too many purchases/checks being made all at once.:twocents:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The following is opinion. I don't have stats and cites to back it up, but I think you'll find it accurate.

The whole Brady law is about gun control. That someone is rejected or is delayed or even approved puts a stamp of legitimacy on something that is not in any way legitimate. That said, though, that someone is delayed when he is known to be a proper person is not about "indirect gun control"... it just means the system is swamped and they can't say with certainty that the person is approved. It's been that way for years... it's not changing now.

Blessings,
    Bill

Dakota

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Hagerstown
    The following is opinion. I don't have stats and cites to back it up, but I think you'll find it accurate.

The whole Brady law is about gun control. That someone is rejected or is delayed or even approved puts a stamp of legitimacy on something that is not in any way legitimate. That said, though, that someone is delayed when he is known to be a proper person is not about "indirect gun control"... it just means the system is swamped and they can't say with certainty that the person is approved. It's been that way for years... it's not changing now.

Blessings,
    Bill

You might be right but I've only had one other "delay" and it was ok'd just a few minutes later while the person was still there. I really can't believe that their computer systems are that overloaded and I'm betting that I get no response on this at all. Just will have to wait the three days. Doesn't make any difference on this one as the guy only lives about a mile from me and he is in no hurry at all. It would sure be a simple way to slow down sales at gun shows though, wouldn't it.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I was in a popular sporting goods store one day, about two years ago, and a cop(in uniform) got delayed buying a Ruger 10/22 for his son's sixteenth birthday. Man, that dude was ticked.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Delays have been happening rather randomly for years.

The biggest PITA is when it happens at a store that's some distance from your home.

Just another flaw in an already flawed system.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    You might be right but I've only had one other "delay" and it was ok'd just a few minutes later while the person was still there. I really can't believe that their computer systems are that overloaded and I'm betting that I get no response on this at all. Just will have to wait the three days. Doesn't make any difference on this one as the guy only lives about a mile from me and he is in no hurry at all. It would sure be a simple way to slow down sales at gun shows though, wouldn't it.

I believe it. Believe it or not, there is some accountability in the government, and any organization trying to pull something like this off would be committing political suicide. Yeah, the Brady campaign might dream about this sort of thing, but Joe Schmo the bureaucrat is not going to take it upon himself to do this out of fear for his job, and even the most blatant anti is not going to risk being crucified and harming his cause by moving outside the system.

I was in a popular sporting goods store one day, about two years ago, and a cop(in uniform) got delayed buying a Ruger 10/22 for his son's sixteenth birthday. Man, that dude was ticked.

So he was delayed while trying to commit a straw sale in uniform? There are just so many things wrong with that statement. I wonder if his friends in the BATF could have helped him out.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I believe it. Believe it or not, there is some accountability in the government, and any organization trying to pull something like this off would be committing political suicide. Yeah, the Brady campaign might dream about this sort of thing, but Joe Schmo the bureaucrat is not going to take it upon himself to do this out of fear for his job, and even the most blatant anti is not going to risk being crucified and harming his cause by moving outside the system.

So he was delayed while trying to commit a straw sale in uniform? There are just so many things wrong with that statement. I wonder if his friends in the BATF could have helped him out.

I see your meaning, but I don't think that would qualify as a straw purchase. Parents can purchase firearms for their children.

From the ATF's site: ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons

Q: May a parent or guardian purchase firearms or ammunition as a gift for a juvenile (less than 18 years of age)? Yes. However, possession of handguns by juveniles (less than 18 years of age) is generally unlawful. Juveniles generally may only receive and possess handguns with the written permission of a parent or guardian for limited purposes, e.g., employment, ranching, farming, target practice or hunting.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(x)]

With the exception of it being codified in law and requiring "written permission", this is probably the only form of "gun control" with which I can agree: Parents taking responsibility for their own children.

Blessings,
    Bill

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've bought several guns for my sons, and the LGS knew full well that's why I was buying them, and never so much as blinked.
    Oops, I see BoR beat me to it.

Last edited:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    i cant tell you how many guns i have bought on a weekend or friday evening and never once have i been delayed. maybe i am just lucky to have a somewhat unusual last name and not smith or jones.

although i was kind of expecting it to happen at the 1500 while picking up my Colt... it would of been my luck having never been delayed to be delayed on that one.

Top Bottom