Indiana State Police release statement after two police officers shot in Mitchell during a traffic stop

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    What a mess. The shooter is dead and two officers are wounded.

For those familiar with Mitchell, this happened on IN-37, right in front of the Sinclair station, just north of the volunteer FD station, just north of “town”. They were still investigating the scene when were heading into church this morning.

Prayers for the officers involved and hope they recover quickly.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What a mess. The shooter is dead and two officers are wounded.

For those familiar with Mitchell, this happened on IN-37, right in front of the Sinclair station, just north of the volunteer FD station, just north of “town”. They were still investigating the scene when were heading into church this morning.

Prayers for the officers involved and hope they recover quickly.

This popped up on my Citizen app this morning. Apparently it interpreted 4800 IN-37 as 4800 Harding St. (37) by me.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    This popped up on my Citizen app this morning. Apparently it interpreted 4800 IN-37 as 4800 Harding St. (37) by me.
    Bit... further south...

Still this sucks.. but it sounds like the Officers will be ok. The perp won't

Not your typical traffic stop shooting, sounds like they got off in a field before a gunfight ensued.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    This definitely caught my attention this AM. When I looked up the address I figured it was near the Sinclair station, or one of the dozen houses in the area (it gets sparse out that way.)

Airlifted the two Officers to Indianapolis. To me that says this was pretty serious. I'd expect it to be beyond the local GP Doc in Mitchell, but Bedford and Bloomington are a lot closer. Keep the Officers in your prayers.

Mitchell, not far from where I grew up. Until this morning all I ever heard about Mitchell PD is that they have been running speed traps on 60 east of town since the Truman Administration.

As Mr Dylan said, the times they are a changin. Not for the better from what I've seen.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    This definitely caught my attention this AM. When I looked up the address I figured it was near the Sinclair station, or one of the dozen houses in the area (it gets sparse out that way.)

Airlifted the two Officers to Indianapolis. To me that says this was pretty serious. I'd expect it to be beyond the local GP Doc in Mitchell, but Bedford and Bloomington are a lot closer. Keep the Officers in your prayers.

Mitchell, not far from where I grew up. Until this morning all I ever heard about Mitchell PD is that they have been running speed traps on 60 east of town since the Truman Administration.

As Mr Dylan said, the times they are a changin. Not for the better from what I've seen.
    Somewhat of and understatement Kelly.. I would propose that things are getting bat**** crazy. I fear this is going to turn into a bumpy ride. Most certainly prayers for the injured officers.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Curious about the guy who lost the room temperature challenge. Any information about wants and warrants or some idea why he would go to guns over a traffic stop?

ETA: Dead bodies or many kilos in the trunk?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Curious about the guy who lost the room temperature challenge. Any information about wants and warrants or some idea why he would go to guns over a traffic stop?

ETA: Dead bodies or many kilos in the trunk?
    It started as a traffic stop, then they brought in a K9 and it alerted on drugs in the vehicle. I haven't heard how much they found.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis

I honestly don't know why they bother having heliports anymore at these outlying hospitals.
    Since IU Health took over all of them. They don't use them anymore.

Indeed the new Bloomington hospital (That IU Health built) doesn't even have a Heliport.

IU Health has Paoli, Bedford, Bloomington (new), and Morgan (Martinsville)..

One issue is the ground level Helipads that are, (or were in the case of Bloomington) at these Hospitals.. they are often adjacent parking lots, cars, buildings, etc... the amount of ground personnel needed to use them, was large.. plus the insurance claims for rocks blown into parked cars, was high.

Its just easier.. and quicker in most cases, to land on the Methodist roof (or Riley roof if its a kid), and head down the elevator right into the OR. No need to run stretchers across parking lots or whatever. And since its a roof, no need to have personnel secure the helipad. or have things blown into parked cars.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Wow!

What’s up with the small town shoot outs lately?

That stuff needs to stay in Indy, Gary, SB, Jeffersonville.
    Jeffersonville has been reasonably quiet for a while, they have an admin that doesn’t tolerate much BS, and the pd used to train at the range I worked at, they were a good bunch of people.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    They like to set up at the volunteer FD station parking lot; sometimes right where the divided highway ends coming into Mitchell; and at the Presbyterian church parking lot, heading out east of town now.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I don't think I've ever seen anyone pulled over in Mitchell before. I used to go downtown to the flea markets around the square pretty often, sometimes to BRI, now mostly just passing through on my way to Bedford.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

IU Health Bloomington recently lost their level 3 trauma certification. At this point it doesn’t need to be super serious to get flown to Methodist.

Top Bottom