• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I just got this request from our Deer Biologist.

Please respond as soon as you get the email in the next couple days.

It is once again time for the annual Indiana deer management survey! The 2021 survey will be sent out tomorrow, Feb 2nd through Wednesday the 3rd. The survey will be emailed to everyone within our electronic licensing system who has a current email address on file. If you don’t have an email in our system or your email address is out of date you can update it here - www.in.gov/access/ Please remember that the link we email you is a unique link that cannot be used for multiple surveys. So, please do not share this link with others, as it only allows one survey completion! If you do not receive an email with your deer management survey by Thursday Feb 4th, please email DeerSurvey@dnr.IN.gov to receive your survey.

Thanks to everyone for completing the survey and sharing this opportunity with others! The survey is a valuable tool we use to monitor trends in success rates and deer populations as well as provide public input into management questions we are or will be addressing.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Well, I didn't get a survey this year. But the wife counted 14 at the back porch last night and 14 this evening crossing the front yard so that will be my survey.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Heh, they empty the bird feeders, pull up whatever they find. It's like the little rascals think they live here or something. Sometimes the better 2/3's steps out the back door and scolds them. Come spring I'm gonna finish the deer proof flower garden enclosure.
    Here's one from last summer when I was sitting on the back porch.

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    I got a survey from them(IDNR) last year. I don't know if it was the same kind of thing. I suspect it is. It asked my opinion on weapon seasons and how long they should last. Should one season supersede another? Should one weapon be given more lethal weight?

They asked my consideration for air-guns or air-bows, or something like that. They wanted to consider sending a stick with sharp point out the bore of a air rifle as "archery equipment". I don't know if I dreamed it, but I think they wanted consideration for the use of hand manipulated spear. They didn't suggest weather the predator was going to ride the spear from perch, or just chuck it from a hiding spot. Then, they asked my input on any season I would like legalized. Ok......go ahead and open that door.

I suggested, with total sincerity, an early lasso season on either-sex. It would come after the youth had their chance, of course. But, it would have to be pared with the sharp knife season. You could not have, ethically, one without the other. I might have even suggested that the during the inaugural open season on Lasso/knife, the hunter HAD to be accompanied by a camera man to get a full assessment going forward.

I haven't heard back from IDNR.

The idea did come into my head organically though, from back in the early 80's. Enough time has passed to tell the story without totally hi-jacking the thread:

Some of you will remember George Weatley and Gene G, out of Wannamaker.....and their young protege, Duffy, may her rest in peace. My good friend Duffy was a full-time cowboy and a part-time deer butcher. He went on to have his own shop NW of Greenfield before he tragically died in an un-explainable motorcycle accident 10 years ago. As young punks, we would drive Brown County State Park in the late night, and spotlight deer for educational purposes. This was before SP hunts. We would count 200 deer per hour. Some at very close range! some even standing like statues beside the road as we passed.

I had a pick-up truck and, well.......Duffy had the rope and knew how to use it! I'll stop the story here. Gotta go!

Whisk604

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2017
    Rensselaer
    This year they added more questions regarding minimum caliber and required muzzle energy. It's obvious that they are not fluent in firearms language. I filled it out and put the best explanations I could. I have wooded acreage that is filled with deer. The does hardly ever leave. I own their bedding area, up front is a pond, and I'm surrounded by crops. The does give birth and raise the fawns on my property. It is their safe zone. I find myself protecting the herd more than managing it. They don't care about the shooting range. They do hate my dirt bikes though. I've owned this property for 5 years now and my deer numbers are climbing. Bigger bucks are getting more frequent. Only down side is that during season they tend to hang out in yard and not the woods. It's not really hunting anymore.

Attachments

• 20201112_100540.jpg
      4.7 MB · Views: 6
    Top Bottom