• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    When you picked up the package, who did you talk to and what did they/you say about you picking it back up and not shipping it?

You did nothing wrong, let the police show up.

He was standing behind the counter with my box leaned up on the front of it and I walked in, picked it up and walked out and he did not say a word lol. He just glared at me.

I carry daily and really did feel like this guy was close to snapping and calling the cops and I just don't need the hassle of dealing with the police or whatever he meant by calling "security".

I finally talked to a manager in customer service at UPS corporate late today who was very professional and apologized profusely for the actions of the hub, and assured me that the manager of the hub would be contacted about the behavior of the employee at the counter that did this.

And, as he put it -- "they need to be re-educated on UPS policies and procedures for firearm shipments and how to properly treat UPS customers".

I suppose I have to be satisfied with that.

What a day.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    He was standing behind the counter with my box leaned up on the front of it and I walked in, picked it up and walked out and he did not say a word lol. He just glared at me.

I carry daily and really did feel like this guy was close to snapping and calling the cops and I just don't need the hassle of dealing with the police or whatever he meant by calling "security".

I finally talked to a manager in customer service at UPS corporate late today who was very professional and apologized profusely for the actions of the hub, and assured me that the manager of the hub would be contacted about the behavior of the employee at the counter that did this.

And, as he put it -- "they need to be re-educated on UPS policies and procedures for firearm shipments and how to properly treat UPS customers".

I suppose I have to be satisfied with that.

What a day.

I am forced to use UPS to receive shipments but like Philodog...we try to use USPS these days. Had some bad delivery experiences with UPS. Not with Fed-X but they are all pricing themselves out of my market.

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    If it were not such a hassle to send stuff USPS I would probably do it more.

FedEx is easy with my business account and I have shipped a lot of parts and rifles with them and have never had any issues. The only reason I didn't use them this time was the problems they had trying to deliver to my gunsmith the last time I shipped him something. He had to drive to Florence KY about 30 minutes each way from his house twice to finally track down the package.

They all have their issues, but this experience with UPS was just unreal.

jh46544

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Mishawaka
    According to UPS...

"The labeling and outer box markings on all firearms shipments should not identify the contents as containing a firearm. Labeling, including the shipper's and consignee's abbreviated names on the shipping label or air shipping document, must be non-descriptive."

Seems confusing.
    Just this Tuesday, I shipped a new rifle back to the manufacter for warrenty repairs, they sent a UPS call tag and it had:
    DESC: rifle
    Reference No.1: XXXXX (Model number)
    Reference No.2: XXXXXXX (Serial number)
    And yes, they were the real numbers, not the x numbers I gave.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    Xxxxx - I don't care what corporate said, I am not comfortable having this here and you need to come and pick it up immediately.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I would have said "Oooh beg my par didn't realize I was speaking to the CEO of UPS."

Who the heck is he to disregard Corp's decisions and policies because he's not comfortable.

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    I probably shouldn't say this... but I shipped a shot gun from the Northwest to Indiana in a hard rife case that was inside of snowboard box with shipping peanuts.... no problems, left at my front door by Fedex.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I'm assuming you called corporate back and pitched a fit?

This lackey's discomfort with his employer's shipping rules should not be your problem. IF they can't train their people correctly, or their people don't like the job, then maybe they need to find other employment?

THIS^^^

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    BUT, the LIBERAL UNION, DOES !!!!! :laugh: :rockwoot:

Might be just a rouge agent. I know quite a few union members that, even claiming to be Democrats, are dead set against the vast majority of the liberal agenda. With the way Obama and company has been running everything into the ground, Unions might be a place the GOP could gain a few more votes ( most of the guys I work with already vote against Democrats anyway) if they took a little more interactive approach to unions, instead of instantly assuming that all unions are the source of all liberal evil.:twocents:

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, that's why I said "Jason's...guy".

Haven't read this thread beyond that comment... got traps soaking in dye and have a few minutes to cruise INGO.

All I know is what the female UPS worker explained (in great detail, with visual aids and computer screens) to myself and the guy in front of me with a warranty issue on his pistol. (FN Sounds right?). They had some dialogue about how simple the process was before I felt comfortable chiming in with my own inquiries. Until I saw how this thread developed... I thought I had a pretty good handle on how UPS operates on firearm shipments.

Take it to a hub with address in hand.... declare it... tell them the caliber... done. Oh, don't try to pay cash. (???)

Can't site the chapter and verse of UPS policy or Federal Statute.

Traps are done, -he gone.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    Heck ups wouldnt let my buddy ship a forearm for his ar-15, how lame is that. Back when i actually sold some of my guns , i would have fedex come to the house and pick it up, heh. Not sure how it is nowadays with em tho.

sig40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    i have never had a good experience with UPS. it doesnt matter if you are shipping a gun or papers etc. I always use Fed Ex they are the best shipping company in my opinion.

Springer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Shelbyville
    I went to UPS to ship a free float rail and they refused and said I had to drive to their hub to ship it. I drove to FedEx 5 minutes down the road and they shipped it without issue, and for less money. UPS has lost all of my business.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    i have never had a good experience with UPS. it doesnt matter if you are shipping a gun or papers etc. I always use Fed Ex they are the best shipping company in my opinion.

Huh.

I'm the exact opposite. Never had a bad experience with UPS in 15 years - including guns.

FedEx - the official shipping company of Satan.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Huh.

I'm the exact opposite. Never had a bad experience with UPS in 15 years - including guns.

FedEx - the official shipping company of Satan.
    I ship things out through FedEx but most things come in via UPS.

Have had UPS [on numerous occasions] deliver packages destined for my address to other locations... They usually end up showing up about 2 weeks later once UPS tracks down where they were really delivered and gets it all sorted out.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    As a UPS employee for the last 5 years and having loaded and unloaded thousands of firearms, hearing crap like this sickens me. First of all, if a customer counter clerk is telling you something like this, please, demand to speak to a supervisor on the spot. It is not up to the clerk to decide what can and cannot be shipped unless it is a hazardous materials package that is not allowed in our system.

Then, please contact corporate headquarters rather than customer service. This way information will actually be passed along to every employee rather than to that one moron who refused to take your business because it upsets him/her.

I understand taking it to Fedex is much easier than having to deal with supervisors and management, but hopefully people will stop having issues like this if people do go through proper channels.

As for UPS Store's. They are not actually affiliated with United Parcel Service. They are privately owned and have their own rules. They use the UPS name and go through UPS to ship their packages. Each one will be different and have different policies of what they will and will not ship. Your best bet to shipping firearms and firearm parts is to take them to an actual UPS hub.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    I, too, have had problems with knuckleheads at UPS and shipping firearms related items. I just called corporate, although they were not extremely helpful.

Better to just ship it through the mail if it's a long gun.

Top Bottom