IN police shatter car window, extract passenger after alleged seatbelt violation

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    For what? If they saw her without a seatbelt (which she admitted) they can stop her. They did. If the police knew of her conviction, that would have explained why they reacted so seriously to a seatbelt violation case. I am not trying to justify the window breaking, tasering, etc....I don't know enough to evaluate that.

I'm just putting additional information out there that may have contributed to the situation.

And again, we put armed law enforcement officers in conflict with civilians over things that should be personal business.

Whether it is about the buckling of a seatbelt or substances they put in their body, it's not about them doing harm to others, wreckless driving, etc.

The legislators created the potential for the scenario. Probably both cops and civilians made some mistakes, as people will do. It is a much larger mistake to set these situations up through laws that control every aspect of people's behavior.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...HM,
    What I meant was that their past history is nothing but prejudicial to this discussion and has no bearing on the present incident.

If the police knew nothing about it, it is irrelevant. If they did, that likely affected how they approached the situation.

I will agree that just because she ran drugs in the past, does not mean she was this time....but investigation is a percentage game sometimes. Do you really think that a known drug mule is not more likely than the population at large to do it again?

Again, admissibility is admissibility (and as Kirk pointed out, sometimes history is admissible), but this is not a court of law. Neither do the rules of evidence apply in investigation.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...The legislators created the potential for the scenario. Probably both cops and civilians made some mistakes, as people will do. It is a much larger mistake to set these situations up through laws that control every aspect of people's behavior.

I don't disagree, but the law being what it is, the police seem to have had a legitimate reason for the initial stop.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    IC 9-19-10-3.1
    Stopping, inspecting, or detaining vehicle; checkpoints
    Sec. 3.1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b), a vehicle may
    be stopped to determine compliance with this chapter.
    However, a
    vehicle, the contents of a vehicle, the driver of a vehicle, or a
    passenger in a vehicle may not be inspected, searched, or detained
    solely because of a violation of this chapter.

As this chapter is written, visual PC is not required to pull you over to check if you are complying.

It also does not stop further investigation.

It could make Richardson moot.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    OR Mahone and Jones COULD have simply provided their ID's, been ticketed for the seatbelt violations, been on their way, then pleaded their 'justification' (allegedly due to Mahone's Mother 'dying', which IS verifiable) with the Judge. Apparently, it's 'better' to roll up your windows, lock the doors and refuse to do anything because the Police will just get tired and go away. :laugh:
    This has been a 'joyous' read for 23 pages! :lmfao:
    More to come?
    cool.gif

Last edited:

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Where did you hear this? I had not heard this before. I was wondering where the ticket was from. I know that if you get a ticket in IL, you keep your license. I thought maybe it was an IL ticket and the police were calling BS on him for not having an ID. He did passively aggressively challenge them to get him out of the car. Not that I'm advocating for the way in which it was done.

Fox news interview with the man that was assaulted by the police.

7urtle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    hammond
    OR Mahone and Jones COULD have simply provided their ID's, been ticketed for the seatbelt violations, been on their way, then pleaded their 'justification' (allegedly due to Mahone's Mother 'dying', which IS verifiable) with the Judge. Apparently, it's 'better' to roll up your windows, lock the doors and refuse to do anything because the Police will just get tired and go away. :laugh:
    This has been a 'joyous' read for 23 pages! :lmfao:
    More to come?
    cool.gif
    they did give id
    Where did you hear this? I had not heard this before. I was wondering where the ticket was from. I know that if you get a ticket in IL, you keep your license. I thought maybe it was an IL ticket and the police were calling BS on him for not having an ID. He did passively aggressively challenge them to get him out of the car. Not that I'm advocating for the way in which it was done.
    IL residents give up their id in a ticket

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    they did give id
    IL residents give up their id in a ticket

Indiana residents do not when cited by IL. I don't remember if they took mine in hammond.

Maybe it depends on the department.

The University of Chicago officer who ticketed me for wrong way did not take it.

Could it also depend on what the person is ticketed for? I read in one of the articles that he was ticketed for failure to provide proof of insurance, in IN that is an automatic 90 day suspension if found guilty. Could that be the reason that the officer seized the license? I've been told that if arrested for OWI that the police keep your license and give you a receipt for it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have lived in the same place for 23 years, also a registered voter the entire time. Never been called to jury duty. I think they don't like me or something...

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Wish the media would quit trying to attach 'race' to everything... While it looks like the officers did possibly go a tad overboard, It wasn't in the occupants best interest to refuse a lawful directive to exit the vehicle - for 13 minutes - which in itself looks suspicious, at least to me.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Portage man charged after trying to flee traffic stop, dragging officer : Hobart Community News

Another case of a citizen getting tazed. This one ended up a bit different then the op.

"According to the affidavit, Garber saw Shannon was holding a plastic bag in one hand and refused to open his hand."

The search for contraband results in violence and injuries, once again. Shocker. These invasions of citizens' personal space directly cause so many dangerous, unnecessary confrontations.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I remember giving up my license when I received a speeding ticket a long time ago, but I can't remember what state it was. It may have been Illinois as I lived there much of my life. I do remember the jokes also about people trying to use their "tickets" as identification to get into a bar, so it definitely happens.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Maybe. I've never understood the whole "get the driver out of the car because I am afraid" nonsense. If you order me out of the car, you are bringing the weapons closer to you and with fewer obstructions to use them around. Get result and work backwards.

As far as "not right", well, hit the books, study hard and get appointed to the Supreme Court because having the driver and passengers out of the car is lawful.

It is nonsense. While in the vehicle the attacker has limited options, the most "dangerous" is driving away or using the vehicle has a weapon. From inside the vehicle he has limited lanes of fire. The threat to the officer depends a lot on where the officer is standing in regards to those limited lanes of fire (for example next to the window). Obviously it is easier to take a subject into custody though if they are outside the vehicle.

Kirk, I thought they addressed the issue regarding ordering a driver out of the vehicle for searches (weapons pat down which would be the whole point of ordering them out if they are claiming to do it to be "safe") in cases like Pearson V INdiana. In that case they stated:

"653 N.E.2d 77, 79 (Ind. 1995). Our Supreme Court has acknowledged that “Hoosiers
    regard their automobiles as private and cannot easily abide their uninvited intrusion.” Id.
    at 80.
    In deciding whether a pat-down search for weapons was proper, we consider
    whether the facts available to the officer at the moment of the search would warrant a
    person of reasonable caution in believing the action taken was appropriate. Trigg, 725
    N.E.2d at 449. An officer may conduct a limited search for weapons only when he has a
    reasonable belief that the suspect is armed and dangerous. "

In that case they said having him exit the vehicle for a pat down was ok because the officer had prior experiences with him that justified it. By their wording it seems that they are saying that had the officer NOT had that prior knowledge about him (which gave him his reasonable suspicion) that the pat down as well as the order to exit the vehicle soley for that reasons on a seat belt stop would not of been appropriate. While SCOTUS says it's ok to order the occupants out, do we not also have to abide by the rulings of our state sc and appellate court?

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom