• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indyal

Marksman
    Mar 6, 2009
    Looking for inline that is easy to use, ie uses pellets, sabot, and is easy to clean/keep clean. What accuracy is possible now with muzzleloaders? I can shoot minute of deer with my rifled 870 and sabot slugs but wouldn't mind being capable of more yardage.

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Dec 21, 2010
    most any muzz on the market nowadays can shoot minute of deer, what's your budget?
    T/C has a great lineup but typically not cheap. CVA has some economical rifles. Both are pretty easy to clean. If you really want easy skip the BP / BP subs and go with Blackhorn 209 powder or better yet just get a smokeless muzz. :cool:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    we need a price range. imo the best bang for your buck on the market is the tc omega series. you can get a plain jane one at walmart for 280ish.

the best period is the tc prohunter

Indyal

Marksman
    Mar 6, 2009
    not really concerned about a budget, would sell some stuff if needed to get something I really like. I am also thinking ahead to see if my 14 yo would like to shoot it. I am pretty ignorant on ML, I know there are powder pellets, but there is smokeless powder?

Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Powder pellets are for convenience if your looking to reload quicker between shots. There are 50 and 30 grain pellets which will give you some different combinations for varying loads. The option for me personally is to use loose powder so I can fine tune loads for different weight bullets. Not only that but the cost per shot is alot less using loose.

Also keep in mind when using loose is that you measure your loads using a volumetric measure instead of weighing them on a scale. The only exception to the rule is using 777 powder, in this case reduce your load by 15%. So if your wanting a 100 gr load then measure 85 gr by volume.

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Dec 21, 2010
    Yes there is a smokeless option or two. Savage was building a smokeless but stopped production however you can still find them new for a limited time. NULA is a manufacturer option. You can get either a H&R Handi rifle or an Encore frame and have SMI build you a smokeless barrel. PacNor is now building smokeless barrels for the Encore frames too. I'm sure I have left out others. With the smokeless option you must weigh your charges whereas BP / BP subs charges are generally done by volume.

Regarding the pellets, I tried that route and went back to loose as I was not happy with the performance.

not really concerned about a budget, would sell some stuff if needed to get something I really like. I am also thinking ahead to see if my 14 yo would like to shoot it. I am pretty ignorant on ML, I know there are powder pellets, but there is smokeless powder?

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Dec 21, 2010
    Not meaning to hijack this thread but I would be interested in knowing why you consider the smokeless option cons to outweigh the pros? I am strongly considering the smokeless option but am still in the research mode.

there are both smokeless and black powder muzzleloaders. if tested both and i think the cons of smokeless out weigh the pros

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Not meaning to hijack this thread but I would be interested in knowing why you consider the smokeless option cons to outweigh the pros? I am strongly considering the smokeless option but am still in the research mode.

because smokless is much more sinsitive to exact charges than black powder. smokless is great for a range but for field conditions its a pita. even with pre weighed charges if i leave a little black powder in the tube its no big deal, if i leave a little smokeless it throws off my accuracy. and for me accuracy is the ultimate goal

Top Bottom